October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Street Masters (beat-em-up minis game) Kickstarter

More
16 May 2017 12:30 - 16 May 2017 12:32 #248463 by Mr. White
Cool. Wasn't sure as I'm unfamiliar with that game as well.

And super lame 'dad' question....will there be some more clothed female heroes like Megan? Again, in our house, this title would actually be a big hit with my daughter. I know you guys are working within the genre aesthetic (and it is what it is), but another like Megan would be nice. Maybe full jumpsuit like that Kill Bill character?
Last edit: 16 May 2017 12:32 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2017 12:33 #248465 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: Cool. Wasn't sure as I'm unfamiliar with that game as well.

And super lame 'dad' question....will there be some more clothed female heroes like Megan? Again, in our house, this title would actually be a big hit with my daughter. I know you guys are working within the genre aesthetic (and it is what it is), but another like Megan would be nice. Maybe full jumpsuit like that Kill BIll character?

Definitely. There's a little of both (which can be good and bad). There's the busty broads with barely anything on, but then there are some heavily armored women as well. I'll pass this along to the publisher too, just in case the line takes off and there's additional room for more characters down the road.

More
16 May 2017 12:38 #248468 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: Cool. Wasn't sure as I'm unfamiliar with that game as well.

And super lame 'dad' question....will there be some more clothed female heroes like Megan? Again, in our house, this title would actually be a big hit with my daughter. I know you guys are working within the genre aesthetic (and it is what it is), but another like Megan would be nice. Maybe full jumpsuit like that Kill Bill character?

I'll note that I'm a the dad of a little girl as well. I try to stay ahead of this as much as I can.

More
16 May 2017 12:57 #248471 by Michael Barnes
One thing that people who do not have little girls don't understand or comprehend is how little girls project themselves into things and identify themselves in things way more than boys. My little girl sees a picture in a book and says "that's me!". When we pick characters for something, it very much becomes an identity for her. So yeah, +1 to less skeeze.

More
16 May 2017 13:07 #248473 by StrayKnife

Michael Barnes wrote: One thing that people who do not have little girls don't understand or comprehend is how little girls project themselves into things and identify themselves in things way more than boys. My little girl sees a picture in a book and says "that's me!". When we pick characters for something, it very much becomes an identity for her. So yeah, +1 to less skeeze.

Yeah, actually skimming through the stretch goals again...very limited skeeze ;)

Lots of fully-clothed and tough chicks to play as. My daughter's favorite so far is...well, I can't say just yet, haha.

More
16 May 2017 13:08 #248474 by dysjunct
This looks sweet.

And another dad of a little girl who would like more realistic clothing options. (I am not saying take away the busty broads, just add additional options.)

More
16 May 2017 13:10 #248475 by StrayKnife

dysjunct wrote: This looks sweet.

And another dad of a little girl who would like more realistic clothing options. (I am not saying take away the busty broads, just add additional options.)

Thanks! And yep, I'm all over it ;)

More
16 May 2017 13:56 - 16 May 2017 14:15 #248479 by Mr. White
I agree with Dysjunct. Not looking to censor, just looking for a few other options.

I really don't mean to derail this into a judgement of the game. Playing as World Warriors, I mean, Global Gladiators with my kids will be a grand time. My children recently watched the entire run of the SFII US cartoon (as bad as it is) and this game is exactly that. Global Gladiators teaming up to go into the world and fight evil organizations. My daughter is dressing up as Chun-li for Halloween and is looking forward to that Hado mode on USSFIIT for the switch.

All that said, I actually prefer that this doesn't use licensed characters. This gives us the familiar to launch with, but room to create our own narratives and personalities.

This is, literally, a dream come true co-op board game for my house.

Oh, my son is big on ninjas and masked heroes. I see that not-Scorpion/Sub-zero is a minion in that Oni expansion. Is there going to be a hero with their face covered to some degree?

Daddy is a fan of Guile. As a Fortress Ameritrash exclusive...why not go ahead and reveal the funky haired, military hero character for us? ;)
Last edit: 16 May 2017 14:15 by Mr. White.

More
16 May 2017 14:57 - 16 May 2017 15:00 #248488 by SuperflyPete
As a stretch goal you need an app that acts as a dice roller but when you roll to attack, on a critical hit, it plays "OY NOUGAT"

And I agree - no chainmail bikinis. As much as I love my 110lb DD wielding wife, the idea of someone like her fighting in a Leia bikini is 100% fail.

+1 for a scimitar wielding burka chick
Last edit: 16 May 2017 15:00 by SuperflyPete.

More
16 May 2017 15:40 #248493 by Mr. White
I'm not sure how scimitar wielding burka ladies fit in with the beat-em-up genre. Were there some in a fringe title I never played? Two Crude Dudes?

More
16 May 2017 15:53 #248494 by StrayKnife
New interview posted:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Colorcrayons

More
16 May 2017 16:49 #248501 by Mr. White
Wow. I'm digging that small footprint!
I hope this doesn't suffer token bloat. If this can be played on a coffee table that would be fantastic.

Looks great! Really looking forward to checking out the KS...and I'm not a KS guy...

Oh, I hope none of the heroes start with firearms. Picking them up in play is one thing (still not a fan), but I hope they aren't a hero's main attack.

More
16 May 2017 17:23 #248504 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: Wow. I'm digging that small footprint!
I hope this doesn't suffer token bloat. If this can be played on a coffee table that would be fantastic.

Looks great! Really looking forward to checking out the KS...and I'm not a KS guy...

Oh, I hope none of the heroes start with firearms. Picking them up in play is one thing (still not a fan), but I hope they aren't a hero's main attack.

Glad you noted that; one of my main design goals was to keep a small footprint. I solo game a lot, so I hate having to take up a whole table to get a quick game in (this game plays amazing solo, by the way). But the only real tokens in the game are defense tokens, damage, and power. Then just 5 objective and 5 crate tokens.

None of the core set fighters have firearms. However, the mechanics are there to support it should we add someone wielding guns. But it would be kept very "arcade" in spirit; meaning the deck would either have an ammo mechanic, or you'd have to set up a shot. It's definitely not a shoot-out game...but we left the design open to do all kinds of crazy/fun stuff.

And due to its modular nature of the game, if you don't want to use the gun wielders, just keep 'em in the box ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
16 May 2017 18:35 - 16 May 2017 18:35 #248506 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, pipes and trash cans are the weapons of choice in this kind of setting. Maybe a small, rather ineffectual knife.
Last edit: 16 May 2017 18:35 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
16 May 2017 18:43 - 16 May 2017 19:43 #248507 by Colorcrayons
Ah crap. My youngling is into martial arts in a big way... I may have to dive in.

Edit:
I'll throw my hat in to the arena of dad with little girl who wants her to have a self image not based on what skeezy guys fantasize about.

I haven't seen anything so far that falls firmly within that realm, but I'd consider buying into it more if such cheesecake was made only as alt figs (as in ks exclusives or whatever), and not the typical models and artwork found within the game.

Not a judgment on the product so far, but just voicing another vote to steer it into a less "80's" direction of objectification for future models.

After watching the video, it looks pretty good. I like the unique deck idea and wish gorechosen went that direction.
Last edit: 16 May 2017 19:43 by Colorcrayons.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds