October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Street Masters (beat-em-up minis game) Kickstarter

More
19 May 2017 20:52 #248752 by Mr. White
yeah!

I'm sorry if kicked up some dust earlier from a misread on the chun-li character. Her full shot has her in leggings. I didnt register that viewing the grey mini.

I apologize.

If you knew this was her design...you probably thought i was a bit fundamental...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2017 20:54 #248753 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: yeah!

I'm sorry if kicked up some dust earlier from a misread on the chun-li character. Her full shot has her in leggings. I didnt register that viewing the grey mini.

I apologize.

If you knew this was her design...you probably thought i was a bit fundamental...

Haha I did think I might have been missing something :P I assumed the chat was about Kitsune from the Oni box. She is probably the most extreme case hahah

More
19 May 2017 20:59 - 19 May 2017 21:09 #248754 by Mr. White
Ha, yeah, I thought it was a cop in a mini skirt showing all leg like some sexxxy halloween costume... :/

I figured if not Kitsune, there's a not-Mai from King of Fighters in here somewhere. Glad to see it's probably only Kitsune.

Game looks great!
Last edit: 19 May 2017 21:09 by Mr. White.

More
19 May 2017 21:05 - 19 May 2017 21:50 #248756 by Mr. White
Looking at this a second time..
any chance we can push gun hero back to a later stretch goal? Get some other martial artists in here first?

:)
Last edit: 19 May 2017 21:50 by Mr. White.

More
19 May 2017 21:07 #248757 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: Looling at this a second time..
any chance we can push gun hero back to a later stretch goal? Get some other martial artists in here first?

:)

My thinking was get him out of the way early :P don't worry though, his deck doesn't revolve around the gun. It's just like his haduken ;)

More
19 May 2017 21:31 - 19 May 2017 21:37 #248759 by Mr. White
Will any unlocked heroes also have story cards?

Please let there be a stage that's basically a wrestling ring. Squared circles have their place here. Recall, the underground ring in Final Fight (Sodom/Katana's stage), but also Saturday Night SlamMasters!!!!!
Last edit: 19 May 2017 21:37 by Mr. White.

More
19 May 2017 21:56 #248761 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: Will any unlocked heroes also have story cards?

Please let there be a stage that's basically a wrestling ring. Squared circles have their place here. Recall, the underground ring in Final Fight (Sodom/Katana's stage), but also Saturday Night SlamMasters!!!!!

Unlocked fighters would eventually get story decks if we get that much funding. And I actually have rough ideas for a wrestling themed game using this system. Assuming this one does well enough ;)

More
20 May 2017 17:21 #248787 by Mr. White
So what exactly are story cards? Can a character not play in story mode without them?

i guess i was thinking they were simply character background cards.

More
20 May 2017 17:24 #248788 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: So what exactly are story cards? Can a character not play in story mode without them?

i guess i was thinking they were simply character background cards.

So the "Story Decks" guide the players through several linked stages called a "Story." This is essentially streamlined campaign play.

"Hero Stroy Decks" are an optional addition to Story Mode. After the players choose a story, each player has the option of also adding in their fighter's Hero Story Deck. These are smaller than story decks, but contain that fighter's personal "side quest" that affects the greater story mode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
22 May 2017 10:54 #248837 by Mr. White
A thought on the snap-on bases.

If I paint my set up, I doubt I would use the snap-on bases for fear that the on and off would scratch up the base. I would end up using maybe some small, colored rubber bands that I can hang on the mini. This is a very popular practice at Blood Bowl tournaments where coaches don't want to scratch up their painted minis, but can hang a color rubber band so the opponent can tell which players have skills.

I say this not because I expect you guys to through in a bag of rubber bands, but because I'm also curious about simply painting base ring colors on the minis. Will the number of colored rings per mini type be consistent where I can simply paint them on...or will the number, say, blue Borises change from game to game?

More
22 May 2017 10:57 #248838 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: A thought on the snap-on bases.

If I paint my set up, I doubt I would use the snap-on bases for fear that the on and off would scratch up the base. I would end up using maybe some small, colored rubber bands that I can hang on the mini. This is a very popular practice at Blood Bowl tournaments where coaches don't want to scratch up their painted minis, but can hang a color rubber band so the opponent can tell which players have skills.

I say this not because I expect you guys to through in a bag of rubber bands, but because I'm also curious about simply painting base ring colors on the minis. Will the number of colored rings per mini type be consistent where I can simply paint them on...or will the number, say, blue Borises change from game to game?

They will not change, so this is a completely viable alternative. The reason we included additional sets of colored bases in the utility pack add-on is to reduce setup time, so players could buy a pack for each enemy deck and keep the bases on between games. So essentially, painting their bases will accomplish this as well.

The ONLY consideration is that some stages might use a set of "unused" minions to serve as additional neutral figures in a stage. IN this case, the base colors won't matter, but as long as they don't distract you, you can just ignore those colors during these situations.

More
22 May 2017 11:10 #248841 by Mr. White
perfect!

On the recent edition of the painted minis photos. The minis seem to have a lot of shadow on their fronts. Almost as if the light source is from somewhere behind them. These photos don't look nearly as crisp as the unpainted grey photo with penny below them.

Maybe a reshoot with a change in the lighting?

More
22 May 2017 11:12 #248842 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: perfect!

On the recent edition of the painted minis photos. The minis seem to have a lot of shadow on their fronts. Almost as if the light source is from somewhere behind them. These photos don't look nearly as crisp as the unpainted grey photo with penny below them.

Maybe a reshoot with a change in the lighting?

These are actually just the placeholder pictures, sent from the painter. When the publisher receives them (should be today), they will be taking more professional shots to show off the detail and paintjob, which I hear is even better than it looks in those placeholders.

More
23 May 2017 10:05 - 23 May 2017 10:07 #248893 by Mr. White
I have generally thought that a dungeon-crawl style of play would be best suited for these sort of beat'em ups. the narrow 'corridor/hallway' tiles would be the heroes walking down the streets. The rectangular/square 'room'-type tiles would be parking lots or insides of buildings. That sort of thing.

The fact that you guys have condensed it to one stage tile is really intriguing.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 10:07 by Mr. White.

More
23 May 2017 10:23 #248894 by StrayKnife

Mr. White wrote: I have generally thought that a dungeon-crawl style of play would be best suited for these sort of beat'em ups. the narrow 'corridor/hallway' tiles would be the heroes walking down the streets. The rectangular/square 'room'-type tiles would be parking lots or insides of buildings. That sort of thing.

The fact that you guys have condensed it to one stage tile is really intriguing.

As I've mentioned, stages are probably one of the coolest features in this game (in my opinion). I'm very proud of the variety of stages, and how different they can make the game feel.

From a design-choice standpoint, I always wanted to do a confined tactical game, because I honestly don't get much joy out of moving down hallways, not to mention setting up tiles before or during a game. I find that tedious and it takes away from the action. So in addition to reducing setup and clutter, keeping the action on one tile really lets players just focus on the ensuing battle and the various stage effects that modify the environment in so many ways.

On a side note, I freaking love the intro of this latest overview video:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds