October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Boardgames & Booze

More
23 May 2017 14:54 #248917 by Shellhead
Boardgames & Booze was created by Shellhead
Do you drink alcohol while you play boardgames? Enough to relax? Enough to maintain a buzz? More?

Last month, I played a couple of longer 2-player games with a friend while we each had a couple of Guinness Stout. It was no big deal, but I felt heavy by the time we we done with the second game. Generally, I don't like to drink alcohol at all while playing a complex game, or a game with low interaction. However, I think that alcohol goes fine with light games that emphasize player interaction. I suppose that alcohol can also make a dexterity game more interesting.

My alcohol consumption has dropped significantly since my 20s. Back then, I drank an average of a drink a day, not counting getting wasted once or twice a month. Having seen my dad slowly descend into alcoholism over the course of his adult life, I have now scaled back to one drink a month plus having a maximum of three drinks at a festive occasion, maybe six times a year. Wow, that's a big drop, from about 500 drinks per year to just 30.

As a random note, the Fantasy Flight Event Center has a liquor license and serves beer and wine, but I rarely notice people drinking there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2017 14:57 - 23 May 2017 14:58 #248918 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Boardgames & Booze
my alcohol consumption has scaled way back in the past year or so.
I usually only have one drink a week at the house and that's while I'm cooking and prepping the food for the work week. Besides that I'll have a drink out with friends, but no more than two. And rarely two. Usually one followed by tea or a coke or something. Drinking while gaming generally falls in this category.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 14:58 by Mr. White.

More
23 May 2017 14:59 #248920 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Boardgames & Booze
I usually drink 2 to 3 per game night. If it impacts my decision-making, well I don't care, since it's board games. Last weekend I drank 3 beers the night prior, while playing Playerunknown's Battlegrounds. During board games I had nothing but water and came in last place, and second place. So drunk or sober, I still lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 May 2017 15:14 #248923 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Boardgames & Booze
I'm not much of a beer guy, much more so into hard liquor. We usually game on a week night so that ain't happening. Usually beer though is consumed in small quantities at my table.

When I do drink while playing games I'm looking to maybe get buzzed at most, not really shitfaced. I don't really enjoy gaming with people who are drunk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
23 May 2017 15:39 #248927 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Boardgames & Booze
When I go to FFG ec, I sometimes drink a single tap beer.

But that's rare. I don't see the point in drinking while playing games in public.

I used to drink a bit on board game nights at my house when I used to host. But boardgames, much like alcohol, were used as a social lubricant as an excuse to get together and shoot the breeze.

More
23 May 2017 16:10 #248933 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Boardgames & Booze
I'm usually the one hosting and drinks are consumed. Not to excess, but because it is a social gathering. We aren't playing 18xx or euro snoozers, so it doesn't impair our dice rolling ability.

More
23 May 2017 18:23 #248939 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Boardgames & Booze
I grew up in a small rural town where socializing and drinking beer are one and the same. That's stuck with me; I drink at most social functions if it's available and boardgames are no different.

I feel less mentally exhausted if I have a beer or two with a heavy game, because a bit of don't-give-a-shit-itude kicks in and I'm more happy to roll with suboptimal play on my part.

I stay away from heavy liquor when gaming though, because while I enjoy getting a bit drunk I'm aware that's not always fun for everybody else. Unless we're ending the night at my house with Tumblin' DIce or Bisikle or something. Shots may get poured.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 May 2017 21:50 #248949 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Boardgames & Booze
Almost always. Anywhere from beers to hard stuff to cocktails. I sometimes refrain if I have a caloric reason to, but otherwise it's something to look forward to after a long week.

Someone getting sloppy is a rare occasion, but it's happened.

More
23 May 2017 22:33 #248951 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Boardgames & Booze
My group only meets monthly, if that, so it's guaranteed that at least a couple of us will be taking the opportunity to get shitfaced. I've been slowly veering away from alcohol and more towards cannabis but either substance involves the same decision. With Zombicide... pretty altered is ok, but I'm the zombie pusher & card flipper (& general rules consultant) so I can't be completely wrecked. With a social deduction game, being more sober than the rest is a fun advantage, so if we're going down that rabbit hole and playing Avalon 10 times in a row, I sip a beer, forego the whiskey and other stuff, and try to get a few games in where I'm fully processing what's going on. If we're playing The Grizzled, we're all doomed anyway so weeeeeeee...

More
24 May 2017 00:02 - 24 May 2017 00:02 #248953 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Boardgames & Booze
If I'm gaming with good friends, I'll have at 2-3 drinks. If it's strangers, no. I have gotten pretty hammered on a number of occasions but that isn't the norm these days.

I drink a fair amount these days. Average a drink a night, I'd say.
Last edit: 24 May 2017 00:02 by Gary Sax.

More
24 May 2017 04:16 #248957 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Boardgames & Booze
I always like to have a drink when I game. Both are social activities for me, so they go well together.

How much I drink depends entirely on whether I'm going to be driving home, and how much I need to get done the next day.

More
24 May 2017 07:59 #248959 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic Boardgames & Booze
Social drinker here as well so my friends and I will typically have a drink or two while playing games. Usually up to the point of a slight buzz, but typically less.

We typically cannot stand it when people get shit-faced while gaming. Those that get drunk while playing typically ruin the gaming experience for us.

More
24 May 2017 08:26 #248961 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Boardgames & Booze
I gave up drinking "in force" a long time ago and most of my peeps are middling to massive potheads, but generally, I don't use anything. Unless it's at a Con, which is a vacation for me, in which case the sky's the limit.

Charlie can say what he wants about playing with drunk people, but Spartacus goes from good to LEGENDARY with a couple shots of Jack

More
24 May 2017 08:33 #248963 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Boardgames & Booze

SuperflyTNT wrote: Charlie can say what he wants about playing with drunk people, but Spartacus goes from good to LEGENDARY with a couple shots of Jack

I'm not sure I can tell the difference between when you are drunk or sober so the rules don't clearly apply to that game of Spartacus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
24 May 2017 09:02 #248970 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Boardgames & Booze

MattDP wrote: I always like to have a drink when I game. Both are social activities for me, so they go well together.

How much I drink depends entirely on whether I'm going to be driving home, and how much I need to get done the next day.

You don't count. You're English.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds