October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Boardgames & Booze

More
24 May 2017 09:31 #248972 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Boardgames & Booze
We usually have beers and ciders going during game days, and sometimes some whiskey towards the end of the night. It's purely social. I've played games with drunk people before and it's absolutely no fun, though I have a shitfaced person to thank for making me never want to even see "Bang!" ever again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2017 09:35 #248973 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Boardgames & Booze
I'm a social drinker.
I'm a social gamer.
I play games and I drink drinks.

There is a bar in my game room.

I should cut back.

I probably will once I can no longer fit into these jeans.

More
24 May 2017 09:43 #248974 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Boardgames & Booze

Sagrilarus wrote: You don't count. You're English.

My God, is this a thing? Are we famous international drunkards?

More
24 May 2017 09:44 #248975 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Boardgames & Booze

MattDP wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: You don't count. You're English.

My God, is this a thing? Are we famous international drunkards?

Somewhat. Not quite up there with the Irish, the Russians, or the Koreans.

More
24 May 2017 10:21 #248983 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Boardgames & Booze
I don't drink at all, so this isn't really a factor for me personally. Most of the settings I game in are dry, and most of my gaming buddies are non-drinkers as well (lots of teetotalling church types in there). But! I've had lots of friends who will have a drink or two when we play at their house. Very few of them have ever had enough at the table to impair the experience, although when it does get to that point the enjoyment goes south in a hurry for me.

I once played a game of Wallenstein at Geekway with a table full of guys who were all drinking a lot. As the only sober player there, I lost badly.

More
24 May 2017 10:39 #248986 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Boardgames & Booze
I drink beer frequently, and Game Night is no exception. I usually have from 2 to 4. It used to always be four, but I've been steering it more towards two lately. We have a pretty big mix of drinkers and non-drinkers in our group. I don't think we've had anyone get sloppy drunk, but I've been close on a couple of occasions. I don't want my enjoyment to diminish anyone else's fun.

I also host a full Game Day about every other month, and alcohol isn't allowed at those events.

More
24 May 2017 10:41 #248987 by Shellhead
One of my worst boardgame experiences in recent years involved a drunk player. On top of being drunk, he has also smoked enough pot over the course of his life that you can tell just by his voice. Anyway, I showed up for one of the semi-regular goth potluck dinners with some games. The drunk stoner proclaims that he loves boardgames, and his enthusiasm helped bring others to the table. We played Cosmic Encounter and Sons of Anarchy, but both games dragged for the following reasons:

1. Drunk stoner forgot the rules each turn and needed coaching through his turns.
2. Drunk stoner sometimes would get up and wander away from the table for a while, requiring a player to fetch him back for his turns.
3. Female friend of the drunk stoner finds him and sits down on his lap, creating a significant distraction but at least putting a stop to the wandering away.

I didn't bring any games to the next potluck, so of course drunk stoner doesn't show up for that one.

More
25 May 2017 02:46 #249068 by dave
Replied by dave on topic Boardgames & Booze
I'm a very social gamer, but currently don't mix drinking with gaming because alcohol puts me to sleep; I need caffeine for gaming.

My alcohol consumption these days is ~two fingers of whiskey on Friday and Saturday night after the wife goes to bed; it's a struggle to finish the glass before my eyes close.

More
25 May 2017 08:28 #249071 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Boardgames & Booze
My six year old girl is the same way
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
25 May 2017 09:51 #249076 by Shellhead

dave wrote: I'm a very social gamer, but currently don't mix drinking with gaming because alcohol puts me to sleep; I need caffeine for gaming.

Insert "role-playing" in place of "gaming" above, and that would exactly describe me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
25 May 2017 10:08 #249079 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Boardgames & Booze
and replace it with "working" for me and that's pretty bang-on

More
25 May 2017 11:17 - 25 May 2017 11:17 #249081 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Boardgames & Booze
Now that my 20s are over and I moved out of the house with two guys, I drink a lot less- this includes game night. I'll have maybe 1-2 drinks per week unless there's some kind of family celebration. As noted above by Shellhead, I had just two drinks while DMing for D&D 5e and I never want to do it again. I need to be sharper than that. I also don't think I'd want to teach or learn a game if anyone involved is noticeably impaired, unless it's something real simple like a dexterity game or Skull.

Oddly enough, my parents' house is the most likely place for me to have a drink or two with dinner, because my dad always offers wine. Sometimes we'll play Catan, Avalon, or Codenames after eating.
Last edit: 25 May 2017 11:17 by Jexik.

More
25 May 2017 11:38 #249082 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Boardgames & Booze
Depends on the game. If we are playing something complicated - no reason to be drinking. But if we are playing Crossbows and Catapults - bring out the drinks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, celticgriffon

More
26 May 2017 15:48 #249156 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Boardgames & Booze
I don't drink at all when gaming anymore unless its a really light game. I will generally stay away from drinking if there is a game planned. I drink when socializing a fair bit and if I start drinking while playing I'll wander more into socializing and be distracted from gaming.

More
14 Jun 2017 12:50 #249861 by Jauron
Replied by Jauron on topic Boardgames & Booze
I don't drink often, and I don't game often but when I game I drink. I have enough experience with beer that I know what I can handle. I tend to be a high functional drunk anyways, so not a big difference between sober me and drunk me at the table, drunk me is a little nicer probably.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds