October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Betrayal at Baldur's Gate

More
05 Jun 2017 17:01 #249457 by hotseatgames
geekandsundry.com/betrayal-at-baldurs-ga...ungeons-and-dragons/

A D&D themed version of Betrayal at House on the Hill. I'm tentatively excited... Betrayal is one of my favorite games, and I own it and the expansion. But it's really hard to get to the table. I can usually manage one game per year, around Halloween. In general the complaints of a couple of people in my group center around the sometimes-too-random nature of the game, and how the Haunt can really go wrong.

If this version doesn't change any of that, it could be a hard sell for my group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2017 17:37 #249458 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Betrayal at Baldur's Gate

hotseatgames wrote: In general the complaints of a couple of people in my group center around the sometimes-too-random nature of the game, and how the Haunt can really go wrong.

I like Betrayal at House on the Hill, and have played many games of it. And yet I will easily admit that the only part that I consistently enjoy is the first half of the game, when we explore the random rooms and build out the map. The second half of the game falls flat about half the time, and I don't see any reasonable way to fix that, because the randomness of the layout is structurally built into the game. Scenarios that otherwise may seem balanced can become very unbalanced if the layout is too big or too small at the turning point. Or one side or the other can be weakened by random events during exploration. When we have a bad game, we usually play a second game immediately and usually have fun the second time around.

I'm not too excited about this re-theming, because it seems like a thematic mismatch. D&D is all about the adventurer party and their synergy of abilities, not a group of explorers who run off in random directions from each other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
05 Jun 2017 22:07 #249464 by Michael Barnes
I saw the announcement for this...but who cares, the same announcement also noted a new Adventure System game...by Kevin Wilson. THAT'S the story!

More
05 Jun 2017 23:06 #249469 by Colorcrayons
Actually, a real story would be an adventure system game that is good.

I like Wilson, but when given a turd design foundation and told to gold plate it, its still a turd underneath the shine.

On topic, how the hell does D&D fit a betrayal mechanism? I know parties sometimes have that in them from time to time to shake it up. But every single time?
Unless there is a redesign beyond a retheme, I can't imagine this is remotely necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, charlest

More
06 Jun 2017 02:24 #249473 by southernman
Looks like an exact replica with different art, how do they do that out of interest ?

More
06 Jun 2017 19:52 #249523 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Betrayal at Baldur's Gate
I'm all over this as well as the new Kevin Wilson D&D Adventure System game. Glad to see some of my favorite games getting more titles in their lines. I'm particularly pleased to see more stuff using the Betrayal at House on Hill system. That game is the definition of a cult classic. It's weird seeing it get all of this positive momentum so many years after it's initial release...but I ain't complaining.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds