October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

All Things Cthulhu Wars

More
17 Aug 2017 09:51 #252532 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
A few days before the OS3 started all of those expansions were available for maybe 5 days on the PG website then all went gonzo. My retailer, which has a significant online footprint up here as well as a brick and mortar spot in Toronto, told me they ordered 4 of everything available at that time.

Doesn't look like the shipping scales well. Shipping for three items was $39. For God's sake I hope they aren't going to make me purchase these each day with selected releases and pay shipping 4 times ffs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2017 10:19 #252533 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
Man, there's a part of me that wants to own this thing, but I'm got a real low bar for availability bullshit. I get that they're not printing these in huge numbers, but these days, if I can't just give you some money and get the thing you're selling, I usually just go buy something different.

One of these days I may convince myself to pick up the base game, but the availability of everything else is just barf. If I decide I like it and want the rest, I'm just gonna wind up SOL, and that's kinda discouraging.

More
18 Aug 2017 18:55 #252636 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
Question for you fine cultists.
I have none of the thick punch-board components such as the player boards, doom track, etc. Do I buy them all now from Petersen Games for $20 (and $17 shipping!) or do I wait for Onslaught 3 to get the Great Cthulhu updates? Do you think updated player boards will even be available then?

More
18 Aug 2017 19:24 #252638 by Michael Barnes
I have them and not overly impressed with them. The cardboard stuff is uniformly junky compared to the quality level of the figures. It's not enough of an upgrade to buy now, really. There are a few updates but nothing you can't see online:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
18 Aug 2017 19:35 #252639 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
Thank you. Just what I wanted to know.
I just got the GOO pack 2 and noticed that the printing on the thick board that came with it was not as clear as the thin card that came with my O2 base game.

More
19 Aug 2017 20:57 #252680 by Nagajur
Replied by Nagajur on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
Cthulhu Wars is my favorite game, but the balance changes are slightly disturbing. I am an all in backer from OS1, 2, and 3. I am even backing for a second copy of the base game, I am just hoping that the Tcho Tcho and Ancients prove to be just as fun to play and play against as the others.

I just wish Orcs Must Die was just as good. Hopefully God's War is up there as well because those would be two expensive losses in the back of just Sandy's name.

More
20 Aug 2017 07:30 #252688 by Da Bid Dabid

Nagajur wrote: Cthulhu Wars is my favorite game, but the balance changes are slightly disturbing.

Why is this?

More
20 Aug 2017 09:09 - 20 Aug 2017 09:10 #252690 by Nagajur
1) They are disturbing in that there are quite a few and they seemed to have happened over a short time period with little opportunity for play-testing.

2) They vocal majority indicated that the Tcho Tcho were broken and it was not via some slick combination. Even amateur players seemed to be having an easy time. As Barnes noted, Sandy gave a strategy guide and a Nerf in 48 hours.

3) I( the sky is falling scenario) don't want the factions to be constantly nerfed. It's not a video game. It requires mocking up components, waiting for print, or memorization (easiest and most error prone) to absorb change. I don't want to keep track of which version of the rules are in play. It also requires a small investment in the meta.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2017 09:10 by Nagajur.

More
20 Aug 2017 10:59 - 20 Aug 2017 10:59 #252693 by Michael Barnes
The original stuff was already developed and playtestes out of the gate. OS2/OS3 stuff is bolted on to that framework and it does seem less stable.

Those investigators are where it is going to go off the rails. The game was not designed for that kind of thing or concept. Which is why they are offered as a free stretch goal and not a buyable add-on.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2017 10:59 by Michael Barnes.

More
21 Aug 2017 11:17 #252749 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars

Nagajur wrote:
3) I( the sky is falling scenario) don't want the factions to be constantly nerfed. It's not a video game. It requires mocking up components, waiting for print, or memorization (easiest and most error prone) to absorb change. I don't want to keep track of which version of the rules are in play. It also requires a small investment in the meta.

It doesn't require any of that, though. You can play the game the way you've always played it, and if you don't like the factions as is, change what you like. As you said, it's*not* a video game, you're not forced to use any "patch." The rules of any board game are what you want them to be. If Tcho Tcho is forever broken, don't play with them. If you like Cthulhu as-is, use him as-is.

There is nothing less in the spirit of Ameritrash than hand-wringing over a "meta" for a board game that like maybe 10,000 people own, if that, and of which there's no competitive scene.

More
21 Aug 2017 11:19 #252750 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
Only faction nerfed is Tcho-Tcho and Wind Walker (which was a longer term change due to extended playtesting and issued as part of the OS2 errata).

Cthulhu was buffed.

More
21 Aug 2017 17:53 #252800 by Nagajur

Stonecutter wrote:

Nagajur wrote:

It doesn't require any of that, though. You can play the game the way you've always played it, and if you don't like the factions as is, change what you like. As you said, it's*not* a video game, you're not forced to use any "patch." The rules of any board game are what you want them to be. If Tcho Tcho is forever broken, don't play with them. If you like Cthulhu as-is, use him as-is.

There is nothing less in the spirit of Ameritrash than hand-wringing over a "meta" for a board game that like maybe 10,000 people own, if that, and of which there's no competitive scene.

People keep making this argument, but it just doesn't sit right with me. I don't want to "make it the way I like it." I am spending $1000 so I don't have to do that shit. Why would there be changes if something wasn't wrong?

I am speaking of the meta as in anything other than playing the game such as having to follow Cthulhu Wars on bgg to learn about "balance changes." I am not talking about meta as in a CCG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
21 Aug 2017 18:11 #252801 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
When I was young and had plenty of free time, I enjoyed tweaking my favorites game with house rules. But yeah, if I spent a few hundred dollars on a game that needed fixing, I would be unhappy.

More
21 Aug 2017 23:32 - 21 Aug 2017 23:33 #252828 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
I haven't even played this game but as soon as the investigators were revealed all I thought was " whoa whoa there". I can say with certainty that I wont use them.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 23:33 by Pat II.

More
22 Aug 2017 00:37 #252831 by Michael Barnes
It's a stupid idea and I wouldn't be surprised if I flip those. I'm also not feeling the faction-specific cultists. All of the sudden there is like the Gordon's Fisherman with a gun and some steampunk dudes. Explain why they are on Yuggoth? I can parse the generic, insane cultists guys but not these assorted humans, who are supposed to be gone.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds