October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

All Things Cthulhu Wars

More
22 Aug 2017 08:08 #252843 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
The cultists are easy to explain if you put your Star Trek glasses on. All intelligent life in the universe look like humans with some variation of facial ridge/spiney thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2017 09:38 - 22 Aug 2017 09:47 #252858 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars

Pat II wrote: A few days before the OS3 started all of those expansions were available for maybe 5 days on the PG website then all went gonzo. My retailer, which has a significant online footprint up here as well as a brick and mortar spot in Toronto, told me they ordered 4 of everything available at that time.

Doesn't look like the shipping scales well. Shipping for three items was $39. For God's sake I hope they aren't going to make me purchase these each day with selected releases and pay shipping 4 times ffs.

The PG website does free shipping at $100, they just don't advertise it anywhere.

I was going to get two maps and be done with it, and then I saw that two maps plus UPS ground shipping was $103 and I got cold feet. Thought about it for a day or so and went back and thought I'd see if adding another item would spread the shipping cost. Turns out two maps plus GOO1 put me at $114 and free shipping, so basically I got GOO1 for $11.

Ok, just for kicks I put JUST the glow in the dark GOO pack in my cart

$82.94 for shipping! Either their calculator on the back end is really messed up and factoring cost into shipping rate, somehow, or they're just hosing people.

Doesn't help if you have everything else you want, but if you can push it to $100 the shipping cost goes away.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 09:47 by Stonecutter.

More
22 Aug 2017 09:55 #252860 by Pat II
I'm in Canada no such thing as free shipping.

More
22 Aug 2017 10:02 #252862 by Pat II
My issue right now is I placed an order for two map packs and the GOO1 pack for over $100. Paid the $40 shipping. Hours later other items opened up and I put them in my cart and its another $47 shipping. I emailed Petersen games through their website to see if I could combine orders and no one has answered me. I feel like I'm getting the shaft and dont want to hit go on the order hoping they'll refund the over shipping.

More
22 Aug 2017 10:24 #252865 by Michael Barnes
I don't know why their shipping is so ass. It just doesn't make sense. I don't know if they aren't aware of business rates, flat rate boxes, etc.

More
22 Aug 2017 10:35 #252869 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic All Things Cthulhu Wars
You could walk into a UPS store and it wouldn't be $92 to ship that from Maine to California. Hell it wouldn't be $50.

More
01 Sep 2017 23:06 #253591 by Pat II
Well the folks at Petersen got back to me and helped out with the shipping costs. Only issue now is apparently no more faction expansions available until next year.

More
08 Sep 2017 01:02 #253899 by Da Bid Dabid
So I have played my new CW game now 3 times. All were three player, the first two times I was yellow sign and the last I was crawling chaos. I have enjoyed the game quite a bit but would not go so far to say I love it. It also hasn't replaced CitOW or Blood Rage for me, however I feel like maybe 4 players will run better than 3. I think having that extra faction on the board will give that much more interaction and ability to catch a leader or punish a player who jumped on a different player's mistake to take a big lead.

The first game was the closest with Cthulhu winning, Crawling Chaos won the next two games pretty easily - people still grasping how things work I am the only player to participate in all three games. I think the ability where the other players must give up power to Chaos or he gains it is awful strong without that 4th player to take some of the loss. I rolled a 6 three turns in a row using it and it basically sealed the game for me, I realize this is lucky and won't happen every game. I also see that a player with repeated plays is going to be at a huge advantage over rookies. It took this 3rd game for me to click with being able to gauge power cost vs. what I would gain and why spending almost a full turns power to get out a GOO is a good idea. I'm excited to really get into the factions and explore their differences now that I have a basic understanding of the base mechanics and able to calculate some worthwhile attempted strategies. Hopefully 4 players next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds