October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TI IV

More
11 Aug 2017 11:50 #252354 by Turek
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2017 12:06 #252355 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic TI IV
$150? wow.

More
11 Aug 2017 12:13 #252356 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic TI IV
Nope. TI's time has come and gone. It is the Axis and Allies of the 21st century.

Would have been smarter for them to repurpose Forbidden Stars or Chaos in the Old World.

More
11 Aug 2017 12:30 #252357 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic TI IV
Seems like TI3 with all the expansions and new minis, which is fine, since it's probably cheaper overall, but I didn't see anything particularly transformative in the description, so it seems like if you have TI3 and the expansions, you're good to go unless you want War Suns that are spheres instead of domes. And cooler-looking cruisers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
11 Aug 2017 12:30 #252358 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic TI IV
Can't figure out if they're changing lots of rules or not.

I'm not as skeptical as Barnes. I think there's a time and place for a long game like this, though it has never caught my fancy since it seems more like Space Cold War than Space Opera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample, Frohike

More
11 Aug 2017 12:39 #252359 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic TI IV
I'll be surprised if they don't re-jigger the rules for this one. Seems crazy not to work on modernizing it some (or a lot). I'd love to see them change the combat so you were encouraged and rewarded for fighting, instead of the TI3 method where anyone who gets in a fight winds up weakened enough that someone else is going to swoop in and finish them off. A space opera game where you spend 4 hours pushing plastic ships around and then get punished if you use them seems dumb to me.

But holy fuck, at $150, there's no way I'll ever find out, because no way I'm paying that much for a TI game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Jackwraith, Frohike

More
11 Aug 2017 12:50 #252361 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic TI IV
When I got back into gaming during college TI2 was my gateway drug so I'm very excited about this. But last time I played TI3 years ago it wasn't especially memorable. Too sluggish and too long - it simply didn't deliver enough compelling narrative, especially not when considering the time spent. So if they shave off some of the moving parts (I've never played with them all) and especially playing time I'm maybe in.

More
11 Aug 2017 12:58 #252363 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic TI IV
Yeah, the risk of combat really did bog the game down fairly often. We had some good games where there was enough competition going on between neighbors that it was just as risky to extend yourself to go after one of the post-fight weakened guys, but that wasn't a common thing. I played with the N'Orr one time and set up such a mesh of PDS in my systems that it was basically suicide for anyone to approach me. That let me use a strategically-placed wormhole with relative impunity and I ended up completing one of the more difficult secret objectives (occupy two different homeworlds, I think) and winning the game, but it was a real confluence of factors that led to it (obvsly.) That kind of variability lends itself to replayability, IMO, but if I'm going to play an eight-hour game, these days I'd rather it be something like Here I Stand. I guess I've kinda played my fill of TI3. Maybe I should put it up for sale if TI4 is revealed to not have any major rules changes.

More
11 Aug 2017 12:59 #252364 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic TI IV
Looks cool, but there is no way I'd ever get it to the table.

More
11 Aug 2017 13:04 #252365 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic TI IV
The page for the game says 4-8 hours. So I think I'll pass.

More
11 Aug 2017 13:04 #252366 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic TI IV
I am not going to rain on any parades. This looks fucking awesome. New art, sweet minis, we know the game rocks. This is all upside from where I sit. Price is a doozy, but there ain't a lot of games like this. Folks spent $500 on Zombies4Ever or whatever; this is easy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, OldHippy

More
11 Aug 2017 13:17 #252367 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic TI IV
I want to know the changes. I last played TI3 a few months ago and I had forgotten how long it took with newbies.

More
11 Aug 2017 13:29 #252368 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic TI IV
Ignore GW Banner Bearer Barnes, there will always be an audience for TI. I played a 5-player game a few months back - under 40s (except for an old grumpster) and both sexes with all wanting or happy to play again. The new component design looks easier to reference and a bit more modern in design (and bigger text for older eyes !) so I'm sure it will be picked up, people pay stupid money for kickstarters, or endless X-Wing and Armada plastic expansions, and even GW products so I can't see the price hurting too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, OldHippy, cdennett

More
11 Aug 2017 13:31 #252369 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic TI IV
A few weeks ago, I was looking at my game collection and pondering the dust on Twilight Imperium 3. There is still a regular weekly game at the FFG Event Center a few miles from my home, so I could theoretically play TI3 often. And yet I am not often in the mood for a long brainburning game of TI3, and none of my friends have ever shown any interest. So I was thinking about selling mine, especially given the high prices showing at BGG.

So I have mixed feelings about TI4. It looks really good, and maybe the rules will be a little more streamlined and efficient, though the 4-8 hour playtime suggests otherwise. My TI3 shelf toads are likely to remain shelf toads. I would like to at least try TI4, but I don't know if it will be embraced by the local players, and I don't want to throw down $150 for another shelf toad.

More
11 Aug 2017 14:01 #252370 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic TI IV
Shut Up and Sit Down filmed a documentary during development, which may shed more light on the design. Teaser has been posted:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds