October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS

More
20 Mar 2018 15:41 #266029 by Michael Barnes
Eek. That is...disturbing. I would not expect a comment like that from Daviau and Restoration Games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2018 15:50 #266031 by Colorcrayons
It's turning into another KS campaign, that encourages buying expansions for what is looking like a now unknown design.

I'm so tired of that type of marketing shit.

Do better. We expect more from restoration games.

More
20 Mar 2018 15:56 #266032 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, this is slipping into "not interested" territory rather quickly for me. I only think I played the original game once or twice because I never owned it so the whole "aw shucks" nostalgia thing is lost on me, really. But I would still like to see the game published as is and without mucking around from no less than FIVE credited designers.

Definitely a "wait for retail, get MM review copy" proposition for me at this point.

More
20 Mar 2018 16:03 #266034 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
This might be a good time to buy a used Fireball Island, if any are for sale.

More
20 Mar 2018 16:04 #266035 by Shellhead
I bought my Dune boardgame for a very reasonable price just months before FFG's Rex got published.

More
20 Mar 2018 17:35 #266042 by hotseatgames
I think Rob is on record as stating that people's memory of the game is probably very rosy, and if he didn't polish it up, they would quickly say "meh." He is bringing it up to today's standards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
20 Mar 2018 17:39 #266043 by Michael Barnes
How will you feel in 20 years when that is said about Seal Team Six?

More
20 Mar 2018 18:11 - 20 Mar 2018 18:16 #266049 by Colorcrayons

hotseatgames wrote: I think Rob is on record as stating that people's memory of the game is probably very rosy, and if he didn't polish it up, they would quickly say "meh." He is bringing it up to today's standards.

Mine isnt very Rosey. I know how exceedingly boring it can get pretty quickly and agree it needs an update.

But his statement about correcting it's design errors is a sharp and ill thought out statement. It had no design errors, merely deficiencies preventing it from being more compelling than it was, a kids game. But as it was, it was fine enough.

Whether poor choice of words or just a factual statement, not everyone wants a trash game that caters to the likes of the current euro standard commonly lauded on BGG, his main stack of rather vocally rabid believers.

I respect the guy, but I no longer take anything at face value because of a name. Seafall anyone?

I don't envy his job. Because there isn't much middle ground for the results. He'll either be lauded or scorned.

I do find it odd that he makes such a statement about memory being more Rosey on a game he is resurrecting based on such memories. It's a bit intellectually insulting in fact.

"Methinks thou dost recall erroneously desire for such a lovely dainty. Yet, consume such a thing as mine minds eye conceiveth, thou dullards."
Last edit: 20 Mar 2018 18:16 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Frohike, Gregarius

More
20 Mar 2018 18:19 #266050 by Shellhead

Shellhead wrote: This might be a good time to buy a used Fireball Island, if any are for sale.

Yikes, no. $400 on eBay right now. Maybe once the Kickstarter gets funded the price on the used ones will get more reasonable.

More
20 Mar 2018 18:33 #266052 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: How will you feel in 20 years when that is said about Seal Team Six?

In 20 years, those guys will still be bad-asses. As for SEAL Team Flix, in 20 years I will drive around in my solid gold sports car, laughing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
20 Mar 2018 18:34 - 20 Mar 2018 18:35 #266053 by hotseatgames
I must admit I have never played the original Fireball Island. So, the fact that he is making this game to not be a simple roll and move pleases me. But I am not expecting high strategy; I see this as a lavish opportunity to maniacally laugh as I launch a marble at my foes, and at their dreams.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2018 18:35 by hotseatgames.

More
21 Mar 2018 10:32 #266071 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
I had this game as a kid and never thought it was very good. Wish I didn't let my copy get lost/destroyed though.

More
21 Mar 2018 11:13 #266078 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
Never played the original; everything I've read indicates it was a cool LOOKING game/concept but not exactly cutting edge design then, let alone now. I have no issues with making changes to bring it up to today's design standards if they can retain the feel of the original.

More
21 Mar 2018 11:36 #266086 by SuperflyPete
Fireball Island is likely the second-most houseruled game after Thunder Road. Seriously, the game is not great. At all. It needed to be re-vamped so that the toy factor wasn't the only draw.

Rob has hung his hat too heavily on LEGACY for so long now that I'm glad he's getting back into doing some new designs that don't involve taking older designs and creating living worlds (bah!) around them. Rob's got major street cred with me. We're talking about one of the men behind Heroscape. I have high hopes but the KS shit has gotten out of hand.

More
21 Mar 2018 13:05 #266092 by gversace
Replied by gversace on topic FIREBALL ISLAND RETURNS
Fireball Island wasn't a good design even when it was released. I don't see anything bad about what that statement. If they can take the cool toy nostalgia and turn it into a good game, I'm in. Based on the other Restoration titles I've played, Downforce and Stop Thief!, they're doing a pretty darn good job at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds