October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

I'm at Dragon Con, god help me.

More
02 Sep 2017 20:41 #253618 by Michael Barnes
Drinking Mai Tais. Spent most of the time today playing Japanese arcade games, like this amazing table flipping one where you disrupt weddings and funerals. And a Gundam VR thing.

I saw a dude with a Vlaada Chvatil t shirt. That freaked me out.

I saw Matt Smith through a tiny window. They keep him separate from the failed/faded celebrities.

Games played- none.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2017 20:45 #253620 by ufe20
That table flipping game is up there with the poking-your-finger-in-a-plastic-butt game as one of the quirky japanese arcade games I've always wanted to try.

More
02 Sep 2017 23:20 #253627 by Michael Barnes
It is really amazing. The controller is a big plastic table. You have to build up an anger meter by shaking it and then time your flip for maximum damage. One level is a funeral and you flip the casket and everything. Ther othrr I played you are an angry wedding bride.

Most of the games are rhythm/music/dancing...most fun, some inscrutable. The taiko drum one is great.

The Gundam thing is neat, but it's all in Japanese so I couldn't even figure out out to get into a Zaku.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 Sep 2017 23:37 - 02 Sep 2017 23:37 #253628 by ufe20
Yeah, there's the cool bemani games where you're playing an instrument, then there's bullshit like pop'n music which is just an ADHD machine. Like wtf is this?

I remember playing the taiko one in Japan. Who doesn't love wailing on a big ass drum?
Last edit: 02 Sep 2017 23:37 by ufe20.

More
02 Sep 2017 23:50 - 02 Sep 2017 23:50 #253630 by Michael Barnes
There was one Bemani game that I think is some kind of clapping game. I had no idea what was going on.

Then this weird ass thing called Jubeat...they had like 8 of them and the line was really long for it. It looked like you play it on 12 touch screens on a grid.

So far this Tokyo Crash thing or whatever is the best thing that had been at Dragon Con in many years.

Rick and Morty is THE big thing this year.

Costumes this year have not impressed. I did see one girl who was a Fremen with Stillsuit and wormhook, but it wasn't great. But she tried!

I think the best thing I saw all day though was when these street preachers who had giant signs telling everyone they were going to hell and preaching a bunch of gospel shit where interrupted by this dude who I guess was supposed to be some kind of 80s saxophone player came up and started drowning them out by playing "Baker Street" and "Careless Whisper". That was funny enough, but then this Deadpool Jesus turned up out of nowhere and started dancing.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2017 23:50 by Michael Barnes.

More
03 Sep 2017 10:00 #253640 by Chaz
Sounds like someone was doing a Sexy Sax Man stunt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
03 Sep 2017 10:08 #253642 by Shellhead
Had trouble picturing that table flip game, but found this:

More
04 Sep 2017 13:12 - 04 Sep 2017 22:05 #253674 by Michael Barnes
So we went back for round 2 yesterday, mainly because my wife was involved in the Alton Brown/Good Eats panel (she worked on the show for six years). And because there was a chance I might get to hang out with William Shatner (he's good friends with Alton Brown).

That didn't pan out so me and the kids kind of just roamed for a while. River FINALLY got the Master Sword he's been asking for since like 2014. Scarlett got one of those bizarre scented Japanese squishies (a unicorn) and a Japanese stuffy bunny that appears to be part of that line that has that ubiquitous llama. I got a Doctor Who shirt with the classic 1970s logo since it was the only thing they had out of three floors that was not 10/11/12th Doctor era.

The line to meet Billie Piper was like two blocks long. I went to my secret Matt Smith viewing window and saw her briefly before a giant fat dude obscured my view.

I actually did play two games. Some friends I've not seen for a while showed up so I lugged half of my Cthulhu Wars stuff like 6 blocks so we could play it. I apparently had the only copy there because it was a spectator event. I had like six people ask if they could touch the figures. One guy offered me $300 cash for everything I had with me, which was a joke (base game, Yuggoth, GOO1, Opener, Wind Walker, High Priests, Azathoth).

Also played Downforce, my son joined in on that. He spent 18m on three cars and somehow almost won. I finished with 1m.

But the highlight of the evening...we were playing over by the classic arcade my wife asks me who the creepy old dude in the referee shirt was. It was that guy that runs Funspot, the big, famous arcade in King of Kong, the one where they have all the wild championships and so forth. So my friend Jabu says "I'm going to go challenge him to Joust." So he goes over and they play Joust and my wife is watching.

And then Billy Mitchell walks up.

White suit, American flag tie, supernaturally straight hair, grotesque beard, the whole thing.

So then I see Jabu playing Billy Mitchell at Joust.

About 20 minutes later, my wife comes over and says "I am very ready to leave". We were packing up so it was time anyway. I could tell something weird had gone on.

On the way out, she said that she played Donkey Kong with Billy Mitchell and he invited her back to his hotel room. And that he got "grabby" about it.

Now, before all this, my wife had no idea who Billy Mitchell was so I said "I could have told you to stay away from that guy!"

So my wife was propositioned by Billy Mitchell at Dragon Con 2017, my 25th year there. I suppose that is some kind of milestone.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 22:05 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hex Sinister, Msample, Black Barney, Unicron

More
04 Sep 2017 13:22 #253675 by Hex Sinister
Fucking surreal. I love it.

More
04 Sep 2017 13:51 #253677 by Black Barney
Omg can we get the exact line he tried on your wife. "Now that that's done, want to see my barrel of a c0ck? You can't even jump over it, I'm not even kidding. I'm Billy fucking Mitchell. Let's get out of here"
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
04 Sep 2017 14:16 #253679 by Cranberries
What a great and weird anecdote. You should have flipped Billy Mitchell's table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
04 Sep 2017 21:51 - 04 Sep 2017 21:52 #253690 by Gary Sax
Wow.

Amazing how often gross shit like that happens and dudes don't even know. Though usually not Billy Mitchell.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 21:52 by Gary Sax.

More
04 Sep 2017 21:57 #253692 by Shellhead
If it helps, I had no idea who Billy Mitchell is, and had to google him. He seems to be a good example of what Andy Warhol predicted about fame.

More
04 Sep 2017 22:03 #253693 by Michael Barnes
Here is my big question I'm left with post con- well, the second. The first was "how many people at the con can possibly cosplay as Rick and Morty" and that was answered (a: about 1 in every ten attendees).

If you are an obese gentleman and you are wearing a t-shirt that is too short to cover your belly, can you not feel that the massive "underbelly" sticking out from under it is exposed and visible to everyone? I saw this phenomenon like 15 times. And all, I might add, in the gaming areas.

Of course the follow up question is if you are going to a major public event, why in the world would you grab your grubbiest, most faded and hole-y shirt to wear to it?

As a side note, I was oddly offended by this typical bearded nerd guy cosplaying one of the women from The Handmaid's Tale. I kind of wanted to punch him in the face. Wholly unreasonable, I guess, but there it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
06 Sep 2017 11:10 #253763 by Unicron

Shellhead wrote: If it helps, I had no idea who Billy Mitchell is, and had to google him. He seems to be a good example of what Andy Warhol predicted about fame.

Me too. Apparently, his 15 minutes of fame had already made it to the kill screen.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds