October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Game That You Have Played to Death

More
13 Sep 2017 04:30 - 13 Sep 2017 04:30 #254166 by Matt Thrower
My first edition of Fury of Dracula. The board and cards are fine. But the counters are all dog eared and several split and I had to glue them back together. And Dr. Seward broke off at the knees through sheer overuse, so only his feet go chasing after the Count across Europe.

It's still the best edition of the game. I had high hopes for 3rd and gave it a rave review which I still think is largely justified, but no-one else I've played it with shares my enthusiasm.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2017 04:30 by Matt Thrower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2017 09:18 - 13 Sep 2017 09:19 #254172 by fastbilly1
Munchkin and Dominion. Both base sets got worn out to where I bought a new copy, Munchkin has not been played, but Dominion was in rotation until a few years ago, then I sold my copy off when I got Ascension.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2017 09:19 by fastbilly1.

More
13 Sep 2017 09:46 #254174 by derekjinx
For sure, three games come to mind: Memoir '44, Rampage, and Machi Koro. My kids and i played the heck out of both Machi Koro and Rampage, and I taught Memoir '44 to anyone who would sit with me for 45 minutes, when the second printing came out.

The coins and cards are wearing down a lot on Machi, and we haven't played Rampage more than a few dozen times, but by the nature of how the game is played its taking a serious beating from my two sons! All the meeple stickers are curling, the glued down bits of the board will come up now and then, and the floors themselves are worn down from the kaiju devastation over repeated plays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
13 Sep 2017 10:00 #254175 by SuperflyPete
Pete Part 2: The Reckoning

I was in my office and looked at games I wasn't even thinking about when I posted the last time.

TRANSAMERICA: beat to shit. At least 100 games. I don't even know why I like it, but I do.

El Grande: Maybe my favorite non/mini game ever. Box is shredded beyond compare. At least 50 plays. I had to Plano it all because shit kept falling out.

Conquest of the Empire: This goes back decades but I've played it at least 20 times or so. Box is fucked. Soldiers are fucked. Catapults are fucked. The game parts are arguably my most abused ever.

GI Joe Commando Attack: If you can believe this, I've had this for ages and break it out at least 3-4 times a year to play with the kids. As much of a Game Pimp as I am, I never felt that upgrading to Joe figures was a worthy allocation of funds. WHY, you ask, is this played so much? Simple: it has a gun.

Cyclades: At least 30-50 plays. This is one game I take care of, so it's not too rough but it's been played to death.

Games I No Longer Own But That Were PTD:

Thunder Road: Arguably my third most played game behind Attacktix and Heroscape, and only then due to the tournament scenes. At least 100 plays, probably closer to 200. I got spare cars for it as the originals were always at risk. Board was beat a bit, insert beat, rules beat. Sold it for the simplest of reasons: too big to store at some point and I was broke and needed money.

Defenders of the Realm: Played to death. At least 30-50 plays. Love the game, still, but at a point it became too long for being a Pandemic clone with fantasy tropes.

DDAS (Ravenloft et al):I played the living fuck out of all of these. Commonly mixed them, and even painted 2 of the 3 sets. I even bought 1,000$ or so in Hirst/Dwarven Forge to make it better. At least 50 plays in totality.

Eight Minute Empire: This has been to 3 countries and many states. It's got ridges on the sides of the box from a fat rubber band being on it for years. Can't say how many plays but at least 30.

There's more games like this (Space Hulk or Stone Age for example, with at least 50 plays) but you get the point.

More
13 Sep 2017 11:55 #254186 by Jackwraith
Jeebus. Cyclades is one of the games that I WANT to play. I got it in a trade a while back with the Hades expansion and I have yet to touch it. I can't get a group together. I was kinda hoping my GF and her kids, who are mostly into Eurogames, might be interested, but no luck so far.

More
13 Sep 2017 13:58 #254192 by Msample
I am a pretty compulsive card sleever. Beyond that, I am generally pretty good at taking care of games. Still a few are showing signs of wear. Probably my most beat up box is War of the Ring. Between lugging it around, sleeving all the cards and fitting in all the expansions, extra dice, and Mt Doom sculpt, the box is pretty much crammed to the gills and a couple of the corners have blown out, carefully reinforced with clear packing tape. The whole thing probably weighs at least ten pounds now, maybe more.

A few of my card driven wargames have beat up boxes - Angola, Wilderness War, Sword of Rome off the top of my head. A lot of times I don't even use the box, when I fly to cons I just put the contents in a ziplock game to save space. Each of these games has between 25 - 50 plays.

My counters are mostly in very good shape. I don't generally eat and game, nor do I have the sweaty palms that some gamers do , causing counter graphics to gradually disappear.

More
13 Sep 2017 14:46 #254194 by Nodens
My copy of Talisman from the 80s is close to being unplayable, but it's got photocopied material, English and German and selfmade stuff so it always looked kind of rough. It's been in use for 31 years this week, so maybe I should get a nice fourth edition for the kids since they just really got into it this summer.
Also RoboRally, the cards were actually falling apart a couple of years ago and got replaced. You might have gotten a disease or high from them, I guess. Or both.
From the newer games, Cyclades is showing its use and my armies are losing weapons and sails left and right, but I don't really mind. The game creates a lot of tension and emotion, it would be wrong to treat it any other way.

More
13 Sep 2017 14:58 #254196 by SuperflyPete

Jackwraith wrote: Jeebus. Cyclades is one of the games that I WANT to play. I got it in a trade a while back with the Hades expansion and I have yet to touch it. I can't get a group together. I was kinda hoping my GF and her kids, who are mostly into Eurogames, might be interested, but no luck so far.

If you can tolerate me, I'd love to play it with you.

More
13 Sep 2017 15:04 #254197 by JMcL63
My original copy of Up Front was worn to death after hundreds and hundreds of games. The cards' backs were broken and their corners were bent. It had to be retired. My Ivanhoe set has been played almost to death- I'll have to replace it if the game returns to regular rotation. And I had to buy a new Combat Commander: Europe when the German rifle squads and MGs in my original set got so worn as to be illegible.

More
13 Sep 2017 15:16 #254198 by Pat II
I dont think I've ever worn out a game. Maybe some of the literature yes but not so much components. All of my D & D and Call of Cthulhu roleplaying material is well worn.

More
13 Sep 2017 15:24 #254199 by Gregarius
I wore out my Mayfair version of Catan pretty quickly, so I replaced it with a German edition when I went to Oktoberfest (seemed like a perfect souvenir). That copy has held up very well, but has only seen a quarter of the plays.

Lost Cities is pretty beat up, as I used to play that constantly with my then girlfriend. I've only played it a handful of times since we split.

The boxes for El Grande, T&E, and Railways of the World are pretty much destroyed, but the games themselves are in remarkably good condition.

Of more recent games, Star Realms took a beating from near-constant play, but I think part of the problem there came from flimsy cards.

More
15 Sep 2017 08:43 #254286 by Mr. White
Hmmm...I think this would be the list of games I've worn out by era. Of course, I played many titles, but these seemed to be the focused ones:

80s - D&D, Axis and Allies, Dungeon!
90s - Minion Hunter, Talisman, Settlers of Catan (still own my original copy. worn to hell, but the longest still owned game on my shelf)
00s - Blood Bowl, Condotierre, Boogle
10s - Manoeuvre, Pokemon, Ticket to Ride

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds