October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Is Drive Thru Cards the Best Thing Ever?

More
05 Aug 2022 15:27 #334833 by Cranberries
I just came across this game while looking for a print-and-play version of "An Infamous Traffic"

"In this game, each player acts on behalf of an abstract idea - Justice and Oppression - with one player working for abolition and the other working against it. It seeks to treat the subject matter with sensitivity and respect. There is no piece that represents a human being - no action that replicates the horrors and the lived experience of slavery. Instead, this is about the framework that allowed that evil to exist, and the moral cowardice that enabled it to continue to exist.

This is a card-driven game, but not in the sense that the term is typically employed. There is no hidden information, and there is no "ops"/"events" dichotomy. Instead, cards are dealt into a face-up display, and each card's uses are determined by a generic card type. Many of these cards can also be tucked away into a "Reserve" - a semi-permanent ancillary hand of cards that each player builds over the course of the game. You will always know what your opponent can accomplish, and the actions you take on your turn dictate the amount of political capitol they will have available on theirs. Because of this, the game is uniquely well suited for solitaire play in the "play both sides" style.

Because of the sensitivity of the game's subject matter, it will not be made available to brick-and-mortar retailers, nor will it be featured at conventions."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2022 22:13 #334846 by Sagrilarus
Did you find Infamous Traffic?

More
06 Aug 2022 04:39 #334854 by Erik Twice

Cranberries wrote: Because of the sensitivity of the game's subject matter, it will not be made available to brick-and-mortar retailers, nor will it be featured at conventions."

Gaming's love of self-censorship will never cease to astound me. Can you imagine not releasing a book in stores because it has a "sensitive subject matter"? Can you imagine a director preventing his film from being shown in festivals because it's a very serious one?
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
06 Aug 2022 11:06 #334857 by quozl

Erik Twice wrote:

Cranberries wrote: Because of the sensitivity of the game's subject matter, it will not be made available to brick-and-mortar retailers, nor will it be featured at conventions."

Gaming's love of self-censorship will never cease to astound me. Can you imagine not releasing a book in stores because it has a "sensitive subject matter"? Can you imagine a director preventing his film from being shown in festivals because it's a very serious one?

Is it self-censorship or is it another kind of FOMO marketing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Aug 2022 11:25 #334859 by Gary Sax
I think Hollandspiele already released something on a similar topic so it's not the case there's no one who would do these subjects. Also look at that guy who kickstarted the civil rights movement game.

More
06 Aug 2022 11:40 - 06 Aug 2022 11:54 #334862 by sornars
This is the description of Hollandspiele’s “This Guilty Land” for which Cole Werhle did the art/graphic design hence the link to An Infamous Traffic.

The game is a piece of political art which is supposedly intentionally not very fun to play. If I remember what I’ve heard about the game correctly, the thesis is that the political deadlock of the US is inherent to the design of the system and essentially critiques those of us who support the status quo. As you can imagine, the commercial appeal of a game not designed to be fun was probably not high and Amabel didn’t want to field customer support requests from dipshits who didn’t get the point. I guess that qualifies as self censorship and I get Erik’s broader point but I’m not sure this is the best example. This analysis is all second hand so take it with a grain of salt, I like art pieces but I’m also a dipshit that prefers my games to be fun. I already know the US political system sucks.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2022 11:54 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Legomancer, mezike, Erik Twice, Nodens, WadeMonnig

More
06 Aug 2022 16:02 #334866 by Erik Twice
That makes sense Sornars. I didn't know it was that game, so I thought it was more of a "this is sensitive topic so games about it shouldn't be promoted nor played in public". Which is a sentiment I've heard before about other games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
06 Aug 2022 16:19 #334867 by Sagrilarus
I have it on my shelf from Christmas, haven't gotten to it yet.

More
19 Aug 2022 00:35 #335090 by Cranberries

Sagrilarus wrote: Did you find Infamous Traffic?

I did not!

More
19 Aug 2022 07:16 #335095 by Sagrilarus

Cranberries wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Did you find Infamous Traffic?

I did not!

Mumble mumble backups mumble mumble.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds