October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

SpaceCorp discussion thread

More
18 Dec 2018 12:00 #288395 by cdennett
Got my copy this past weekend (from GMT). Sorted and made a first pass through the solo rules. This is my first GMT game, so it's a bit daunting, but they have good player aids. Might try and get a play in this weekend, as my family is leaving me alone for a few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2018 13:00 #288397 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic SpaceCorp discussion thread
The video shows the beauty of the components and the cool design. I don't think that I've seen a better looking GMT game than this. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Dec 2018 04:22 #288435 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic SpaceCorp discussion thread

jpat wrote: Fairly or not, the video guy sort of lost me when he said he was going to read along with and to us.

I think this is one of those cases where more people than usual are interested in a "wargame" (because GMT makes wargames), because of the theme, and perhaps feel as though they can't learn the rules. I actually do like playthroughs sometimes, when the game is opaque or rules heavy or the like and I want to get a sense of how the game's played in order to teach it or at least play it myself, but I have to admit that I've never really understood the desire to learn rules to complex games from video, but that's maybe because I just don't have the right mindset for it.

Edit: Looks like mine's coming Friday, though I won't be able to get to it until at least the next week.

Yes, based on the BGG questions, for better or worse GMT gave attracted a fair number of new customers with this one. Hence the whiny fuck who called GMT and Butterfield “pathetic” for not producing a video.

More
19 Dec 2018 07:38 #288438 by Gary Sax
I'm trying to remember if Dominant Species blowing up was rocky for GMT too re: new audience and different expectations.

More
19 Dec 2018 07:50 #288440 by Msample
Dunno. That game was published on faith, as it hadn’t gotten quite enough orders initially. This game got over 2000, which for GMT is a lot.

More
19 Dec 2018 10:45 #288458 by Sagrilarus
You have to love the pliancy of the word "wargame" when it has come to be assigned to anything coming from this particular publisher, in spite of GMT's marketing that they're looking to broaden their subject matter. NASCAR wargame, space exploration wargame, evolution wargame . . .

We continue to dumb-down, and I don't mean that as a gamer thing, but a culture thing. We don't have the level of deep thinking skills that we did. Video presentation is inherently a softer medium.

But I don't see how rules can ever be presented in a video format, because you just gotta have the written word in order to understand the official contract you're working from. Video as an introduction sure, but it seems to me if you're not familiar with the written rule book you won't know where to look in the event of a question, and frankly, won't even know if you need to ask the question. Video can't provide that short of someone reading you the rules in it.

So you need to buckle down and read. GMT ain't Sierra Madre. You can open at page one and read and be relatively amused as you're being informed.

More
19 Dec 2018 12:12 #288467 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic SpaceCorp discussion thread
Plus the Jensens were involved, meaning there will be about zero ambiguity. (Admittedly, I did see there was one erratum posted before the game came out, which sullies their reputation immensely, but I suppose even Combat Commander: Europe had a version 1.1.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
19 Dec 2018 20:49 - 23 Dec 2018 00:27 #288492 by Cranberries

Sagrilarus wrote:
We continue to dumb-down, and I don't mean that as a gamer thing, but a culture thing. We don't have the level of deep thinking skills that we did. Video presentation is inherently a softer medium.

So true.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2018 00:27 by Cranberries.

More
20 Dec 2018 02:08 #288508 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic SpaceCorp discussion thread
Got mine today but no time to open it. Come over Sunday, Sag, and we'll give it a whirl

More
20 Dec 2018 12:53 #288539 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic SpaceCorp discussion thread
So I got home and took a look at the game. First thing I notice is that it must weigh 7 pounds or more. Clearly a heavy game.

Despite that, as I rummaged around inside the box I think they failed to pack the VHS tape with the rules explanation. Instead all I got were two "pamphlets" filled with words and pictures. I can't make heads or tails of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample

More
20 Dec 2018 13:12 #288542 by Sagrilarus

repoman wrote: Got mine today but no time to open it. Come over Sunday, Sag, and we'll give it a whirl

I'm about two years away from taking you up on this. Once the kids are gone I'll have a lot more leeway!

If you're ever stopping over near Annapolis be sure to ring me up. I'll buy you dinner and maybe a beer to go with it.

More
20 Dec 2018 18:55 #288574 by Msample

repoman wrote: So I got home and took a look at the game. First thing I notice is that it must weigh 7 pounds or more. Clearly a heavy game.

Despite that, as I rummaged around inside the box I think they failed to pack the VHS tape with the rules explanation. Instead all I got were two "pamphlets" filled with words and pictures. I can't make heads or tails of it.

Years ago Moments in History included an audio cassette with game overview in the box.

More
20 Dec 2018 19:30 #288576 by Sagrilarus
Let's start a rumor that one comes in the box. See if we can make it stick.

More
21 Dec 2018 04:38 #288588 by Msample

Sagrilarus wrote: Let's start a rumor that one comes in the box. See if we can make it stick.

“What’s a cassette tape?”

More
21 Dec 2018 11:12 - 21 Dec 2018 11:20 #288600 by Sagrilarus
I meant a video, not a cassette tape. Tell people there was a disk in our copies, under the insert. Maybe on a disk like Days of Wonder used to do.

So here's how my first game is going to play out:

1. I'll pre-read the rules, fair enough.

2. I'll make it to game night for about the third time in nine months, because I've moved from one old house to another and had a million tasks to take care of on each. Haven't gotten out much recently.

3. I'll let everyone know via the group email ahead of time that I'm showing up, and that I'm bringing SpaceCorp, I will be playing it, and anybody who wants to can join me.

4. When I get there, Scythe will be set up on the table, and they'll inform me they've been waiting for me to show up so they can start. I've been assigned to play red, my usual color.

5. I will be a bit short with them, but reasonably polite. I'll explain that I'm setting up SpaceCorp at the far end of the table, that anyone who wants to join me can, but that no one needs to. I'll be fine on my own, and will not feel left out. I'll offer to heckle the Scythe players on occasion, so that we can have social fun.

6. I'll play multiplayer, playing two players simultaneously instead of solo-mode. This way when someone shows up half an hour later I'll have a going concern for them to step into.

7. At the end of the first play, finished or not, the other guy will talk about how interesting the game is and how more people should give it a shot, the same thing that happened with Arkham Horror, Imperial 2030, and Dune. The next time the game comes out people will reluctantly give it a shot, and find they enjoy it. My buddy Jeff will buy his own copy so he doesn't have to depend on me to bring mine.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 11:20 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample, repoman, engineer Al

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds