October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

At what point do you sell your Heroscape?

More
08 Jan 2018 21:57 #260557 by Cranberries
We have a pretty big stash. My girls don't want to play, and my only son at home is 18 and not really into it. I don't have a game group really. I thought of saving it for hypothetical grandkids, but I'm also worried that it will get damaged during the interregnum.

When did you sell your Heroscape? Talk me through this. It hurts to say goodbye to that part of their childhoods.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2018 22:18 #260560 by Gary Sax
If you wonder if it's time, it's pretty much always time. You have the memories.

Believe it or not I find relieving oneself of minor objects with sentimental value is a relief. I mean, your one teddy bear your dead mother gave you? No. But little minor stuff we imbue memories into... I feel better every time I move and throw out shit that is mildly sentimental. I did it last summer, finally got rid of some stuff I had been holding onto when we moved. It felt good all told.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Cranberries, Msample, Frohike, the_jake_1973, Gregarius

More
08 Jan 2018 22:40 - 08 Jan 2018 22:40 #260561 by Michael Barnes
You sell an item, not the memories.

Also, live by this rule- “if it ain’t playing,
It ain’t staying”.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2018 22:40 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jexik, SuperflyPete

More
08 Jan 2018 22:41 #260562 by hotseatgames
I would sell a lot of stuff, were it not for the hassle of doing so. My Heroscape is in 2 large tubs. No way it's shippable, so it's either garage sale, in person sale, or I'm keeping it.

More
09 Jan 2018 00:44 #260566 by san il defanso
I'm actually giving my Heroscape to my sister. She has two boys who will love it, and it's too big to lug around the world anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, jpat, Jexik

More
09 Jan 2018 01:25 #260570 by Sevej
I'm not sure about Heroscape community, but isn't there some "limited collection configuration" you can copy? Like having a minimum number of figures while maintaining customization, probably themed in some way. Same way with the tiles. Something you can pack in a single small-sized plastic container/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
09 Jan 2018 10:09 #260579 by fastbilly1

Sevej wrote: I'm not sure about Heroscape community, but isn't there some "limited collection configuration" you can copy?

Several different list like that float around depending on what you have.

More
10 Jan 2018 15:01 #260654 by Colorcrayons
I am on my third run on collecting heroscape, as it has been sold twice before.

The first time I sold it was because i didnt see what the fuss was about. It was a very modest collection. (2008ish)
The second time I sold it was because of necessity after a break up and needing to liquidate as much as I could to start a new chapter. (2013)
Then I regretted that, mostly because of hints of Arena of the Planewalkers. summer of 2014, I tried my best to collect anew, and it grew bigger than ever before sans the D&D sets that I was unwilling to shell out for.
I amassed 6 of nearly each terrain set and found a lot of deals on figs included with the terrain. All within the course of about a year.

Fast forward to now.

While I still think AotP is a much better game with the terrain, I havent played it in quite a few months. Not that I dont want to, but the lack of any future support has killed my interest a bit because I was really looking forward to this being successful enough to be the one lifestyle game I would involve myself in.

I too am contemplating selling off my collection, figs and terrain. And yet I think about keeping a modest amount to play AotP with.
But I think the terrain is an all or nothing involvement. We collect this much stuff so that we can have a lot of options and keep the game as fresh as possible with a nearly infinite variety of landscapes to immerse ourselves in.

So can we be satisfied with minimal terrain tiles? I think AotP made a very valiant effort in going with the card mats, and while they have their considerable pros, I find them lacking. I want to play on all these really cool boards I spend a lot of time designing, and going to the card mats seems like admitting defeat and settling for less.

I still have a lot of interest in superheroscape as well. But havent played that in a long time either. I have a ton of great stuff to make that dream of superheroscape a reality, and yet I lack the motivation and social circle to truly get this into play rotation. Its become a pipe dream I guess.

I guess the bottom line is that I am not as comfortable in my financial or housing stability that I can store this stuff without worry. If I could I would totally never sell it and just keep them in their designated storage space.

I dont have answers for you, but I agree with Barnes that if it isnt getting used, it likely needs to go. Im no longer the kind of person who likes to surround himself with a lot of Stuff for the Stuff Gods. I was willing for the heroscape terrain to be the exception, but Im not so sure anymore.

More
10 Jan 2018 16:40 #260656 by SuperflyPete
I wish I never sold mine. It’s just one of those games where you never truly lose the bug.

If I had my druthers I’d buy a bunch again and start playing it again, but I’m too broke and it’s too expensive now
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
10 Jan 2018 17:26 #260659 by Shellhead
Starting this week, I will strive to do some Swedish Death Cleaning throughout 2018. Standard de-cluttering involves evaluating each possession and acknowledging which items you haven't used for at least a year, and which items no longer bring you happiness. Swedish Death Cleaning goes a step farther, and challenges you to ask yourself, "Will anybody be happier if I save this?" The long-term objective is to purge your home of anything that will be a burden to your loved ones after you die. SDC does encourage you to keep one box of sentimental items, like photos and old letters.

So ask yourself:
1. Did I play Heroscape last year?
2. Will I play Heroscape this year?
3. Will anybody be happier because I kept Heroscape?

Speaking as someone who tried Heroscape but did not love it, the game has some particular disadvantages compared to many board games. Heroscape takes up an unusual amount of storage space. Setup time is longer, often much longer than the game play. And there is the take down time. Some of the figures are frankly broken in terms of relative power level. And the gameplay is pretty basic. If you don't have sons in grade school, you probably don't need this game anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jexik

More
11 Jan 2018 11:38 #260714 by SuperflyPete
None of the characters are broken. You are dead on about the rest of the game, but for someone who "tried" the game to tell people something is broken is a bit presumptuous, with respect.

I "lived" that game for years, and if there was a broken figure or group of figures, I'd have known about it long ago. The closest thing to broken was the "Claws and Lasers" robot team which won some national championships for a few years, but was beaten soundly by another "dream team".
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Cranberries, drewcula

More
11 Jan 2018 11:49 - 11 Jan 2018 11:50 #260715 by bfkiller
I have a friend planning to sell an estimated $20,000 worth of Heroscape. I don't think he plans on keeping any of it. Too bad. Man I love playing on a map that fills his garage that we keep going all summer long. (He would combine his collection with another substantial local collection to make a map that size.)
Last edit: 11 Jan 2018 11:50 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
11 Jan 2018 21:22 #260758 by Cranberries

bfkiller wrote: I have a friend planning to sell an estimated $20,000 worth of Heroscape. I don't think he plans on keeping any of it. Too bad. Man I love playing on a map that fills his garage that we keep going all summer long. (He would combine his collection with another substantial local collection to make a map that size.)

Pics or it didn't happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
14 Jan 2018 08:54 - 14 Jan 2018 09:00 #260880 by Jexik
"If I sold this, how soon would I re-purchase it?"

san il defanso wrote: I'm actually giving my Heroscape to my sister. She has two boys who will love it, and it's too big to lug around the world anyway.

This is a great option. I live in an apartment now, but my nephews have a pretty big basement and one of them loves the game more than my son. I'm strongly considering giving them a sizable portion of my remaining collection. This is a collection that is already pared down by about 85% of its previous value; since I sold stuff last winter I've played maybe 3 times? All awesome, but I think my son will actually play it more if I gave it to my nephews. I think I'll keep about 5%- enough to do one board and the option of 1x of each of the terrain expansions. Another option I'm considering to reduce the footprint.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2018 09:00 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
14 Jan 2018 08:56 - 14 Jan 2018 08:57 #260881 by Jexik
Hmm, forgot how to delete a post. Move along.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2018 08:57 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds