October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Fallen Land: A Post-Apocalyptic Board Game

More
16 Jan 2018 10:44 #261076 by stoic
Anyone have any experience with Fallen Land: A Post-Apocalyptic Board Game? After watching a few videos, this one is so narrative based that it appears that it would also be a good solo game?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2018 10:49 #261080 by SuperflyPete
Never even heard of it.

More
16 Jan 2018 11:03 #261088 by charlest
Haven't played it but requested a review copy a few days ago, haven't heard back. May buy it eventually.

My main concerns are how damn long it is. People are saying it's way more than 1 hour per player for a typical group.

More
16 Jan 2018 11:49 #261097 by Shellhead
A friend of mine brought Fallen Land to the boardgame day that I hosted two weeks ago, but he couldn't get players to buy into a 5+ hour game that we would be starting at 3:30 PM. We played Saltlands instead, and that took about 2 hours for 4 players, counting setup and teaching rules. I would like to give Fallen Land a try sometime, but a game that long needs to be the specific reason for a get-together, and not something that you casually toss on the table when people show up. That is probably true for any game that takes more than 3 hours to play.

More
16 Jan 2018 11:55 #261099 by Shellhead
My other concern with Fallen Land is that the friend who owns it has poor taste in board games. He buys for theme without any regard for other factors, which makes him particularly vulnerable to Kickstarters. On a related note, I think that one problem with Kickstarter is we are now getting base games that are bloated by stretch goals that would have been expansions if produced by a normal board game publisher. That makes for steeper learning curves, longer setup/takedown times, and longer games, at a time when most players want more accessible games that require less of a commitment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, ufe20

More
16 Jan 2018 12:47 #261104 by SuperflyPete
Almost no-one wants to play a 5 hour game anymore. I almost can’t even see a reason to develop one at this point. This isn’t 1973.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
16 Jan 2018 12:56 #261107 by Michael Barnes
There is virtually zero reason to play this game in a world where a great Fallout game exists.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
16 Jan 2018 13:00 #261109 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: There is virtually zero reason to play this game in a world where a great Fallout game exists.

I don't know, this looks to have a different feel. There's base building, you have a team of people, each player is sort of building a pocket of society.

More
16 Jan 2018 13:10 #261110 by Shellhead

charlest wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: There is virtually zero reason to play this game in a world where a great Fallout game exists.

I don't know, this looks to have a different feel. There's base building, you have a team of people, each player is sort of building a pocket of society.

That's why I would like to try Fallen Land at least once. There are plenty of board games that attempt to simulate a D&D-style dungeon crawl, but Fallen Land looks like an ambitious attempt to do a board game version of a post-apocalyptic rpg (like Gamma World) where players are trying to rebuild civilization instead of just looting the remains of a previous civilization. Much of the complexity probably comes in because each player is running a party of characters, and each character has their own gear and abilities.

More
16 Jan 2018 14:11 - 16 Jan 2018 14:13 #261113 by SuperflyPete
I have a game design in my head that is exactly what you just said.

Basically each player has a board of their own, a base. It has limited slots but can be expanded. The board is hex based and has cities. The cities produce a good based on their surrounding terrain and you can control them as players a few ways: conquest, which gives it to you immediately at a cost of troops and ammo, but can’t trade and only produces one type of good, or through influence which takes 3 turns to develop, can be stymied by other players via their own efforts, but once achieved is impossible to take by others without a harder, more costly conquest and also allows trading a good with another city’s goods ( once/round ), will produce high quality conscripts (true believers), and that produces two goods.

It’s a fighty game at its core and the victory condition is to hold 5 of 12 cities at the end of a round.

The base has several types of building:
Mechanics: builds vehicles
Refinery: makes fuel
Machinist: makes guns
Barracks: creates troops
Storage: holds goods
(This one is key as there is a good limit without adequate storage)
Distillery: Makes fuel/booze
Medic: stops disease, stops units from dying from radiation once exposed
There’s 13 others as well. I have it all laid out on a notepad, Rules, etc but haven’t had time to develop the tiles, cities, cards.

It’s basically the post apoc game I’ve always wanted. I even have a sort of AI built for marauders which make everything more difficult.

There’s even some “mystery solving” and adventure in it where your heroes/leaders can hunt for answers as to the long lost reason the world ended (nobody remembers accurately) in the same kind of way that Android does it - there’s no set reason but lots of rumors and if you get enough clues in a set, that becomes the reason, which gives you a potent bonus (The Wormwood plot gives you access to Alloy, which in essence makes all units veterans. The Alien Invasion plot gives you access to laser weapons. The Bioweapon plot gives you immunity to disease. The nuclear holocaust plot gives you radiation suits and immunity to radiation. The global warming plot gives you access to recycling which allows you to take one good or unit and convert it to another good or goods, and removes renovation penalties)

Just need an illustrator and graphic artist to get it looking adequately apocalyptic. The time
Limit on the game forces it to be a 1-1.5 hour game max.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2018 14:13 by SuperflyPete.

More
16 Jan 2018 14:28 #261117 by the_jake_1973
Can you make it a legacy game with zombies?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
16 Jan 2018 14:36 #261119 by SuperflyPete

More
16 Jan 2018 14:40 #261121 by southernman

SuperflyTNT wrote: Almost no-one wants to play a 5 hour game anymore. I almost can’t even see a reason to develop one at this point. This isn’t 1973.

Booo ! Calling me a no-one, I've got your number.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
16 Jan 2018 14:42 #261122 by SuperflyPete
You were old already in 1973 so that makes sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries

More
16 Jan 2018 16:19 #261139 by stoic
It looks Old School. I wonder if there isn't a better way to keep track of all of those skill points and abilities? This game gives me that same raw and exciting feel that I felt when I first played 51st State/New Era and Duel of Ages II. Why? I don't know....just a gut feeling. It clearly isn't streamlined or modern. You can tell that it was a labor of love and it exudes RPG personality. I wish I could give it a play before buying it. I'd never get it to the table at the 1 hour per player length, but, solo would happen. I guess I'll have to wait for some more reviews. But, it's calling to me, and, I've pledged not to buy any more games. ;-)

Overview and Review

Solo Playthrough

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZG56_AfS...to9Y4pa56YjP4i5D5C0F

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds