October 09, 2023
2477 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2682 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

John Company

More
30 Mar 2021 13:38 #321436 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic John Company
I bought the coins for Pax Pamir after the fact as well. The production on the rest of that game is so wild that it just seemed out of place *not* to have them. I underestimated that the first time through.

Sleeves are something I normally don't care about, so not a big issue for me. I can't yet tell if I want to cough up for the coins for JC, mostly because it's an almost 40% FOMO tax this time (yow!). I'm going to wait until later in the cycle and check out TTS to see how I think they're going to affect things on the table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2021 13:44 #321437 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic John Company
Yep, also waiting. Even though I really enjoy JC I just know that there is zero chance of ever playing more than once or twice outside of our TTS group but who knows how it will evolve? I ended up late pledging on Oath because it didn’t become a game I felt comfortable with until late in the cycle, might also end up late pledging on this as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Not Sure, sornars

More
30 Mar 2021 13:58 #321439 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic John Company
Cole mentioned on the KS comments that the JC coins are so expensive because there are twice as many as in PP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Not Sure

More
30 Mar 2021 18:02 #321453 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic John Company
Im on the fence on this one. The setting of the game really appeals to me, and liked negotiation games like Republic of Rome but these days I play games with people who are not really into boardgames so it depends how complex it is to teach.

Does 2e look easier to play and teach than 1e thus far?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Mar 2021 18:04 #321454 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic John Company
Eh, I think this is a heavy ask for players who aren't into board games if I'm being 100% real with you. Way, way too open a space. I don't think it's procedurally that complex, though.

You can always join in our eventual TTS games, Duke, if you want a play. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Msample, mezike, sornars

More
30 Mar 2021 18:24 #321455 by Not Sure
If they're not into boardgames, they'd better be history freaks.

If at least one of those two categories isn't true, I can't see this game going over well. Maybe "HR sociopaths" is a third category that might like it, but I'm sort of grasping at straws. I'm not sure the stakes are high enough there.

I think you could teach almost anyone "how to play", but I don't know if you'll get any interest. Valuation is tricky in this game, and uneven negotiations if people aren't invested is going to make it feel very random and disjointed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
30 Mar 2021 18:24 #321456 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic John Company

Gary Sax wrote: Eh, I think this is a heavy ask for players who aren't into board games if I'm being 100% real with you. Way, way too open a space. I don't think it's procedurally that complex, though.

You can always join in our eventual TTS games, Duke, if you want a play. ;)

Agree, plus its a fairly niche subject. Non gamers may struggle with the concept of deliberately tanking a company.

More
30 Mar 2021 18:53 #321459 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic John Company
The red line with my friends is the rules explanation. Do they get the idea after it, and does it take less than 15minutes. Deliberately tanking a company or lets see what happen bids might not be a problem.

I probably should just join a TTS game. When is the next likely to be? and in What time zone?

More
30 Mar 2021 18:57 - 30 Mar 2021 19:05 #321460 by sornars
Replied by sornars on topic John Company
There’s a couple of us (mezike, myself) that are in the U.K. who usually play on weekend evenings to catch folks in the US (Not Sure, Gary Sax) at an agreeable time on TTS.

There was some talk of trying to arrange something for the upcoming long weekend on the Discord server.

Here’s a video of Cole doing a full teach of 2nd Ed:

He gives some advice on the teach at the beginning. The video is an hour and a half but that’s really a first turn play through.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2021 19:05 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Frohike, DukeofChutney

More
30 Mar 2021 19:25 #321461 by mezike
I’m up for a game, as always. We could also do a 3p learning game on a UK evening if we can’t get a transatlantic weekender in the calendar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
30 Mar 2021 19:31 #321463 by Not Sure
There's a bit of difference between 1e and 2e when it comes to teaching and explanations. The end-of-turn events in 1e are pretty opaque for the first play or two, and have been totally overhauled in the new edition.

We've been playing 1e on TTS, but we could try giving the current rules a test as well.

More
31 Mar 2021 05:48 #321477 by dontbecruel
Replied by dontbecruel on topic John Company
Depending on the day I'd be interested in a UK evening learning game of 2e (haven't played 1e)

More
31 Mar 2021 08:20 #321485 by mezike
Alright. Best thing is to join the TWBG discord and start pitching dates in the JC thread.

I personally think we're a few weeks away from it being worth getting into 2e simply because the design is forever undergoing tweaks. I still despise that fucking rondel. I'm more keen to play 1e right now but equally happy to make up numbers in a 2e game.

If anyone is looking to try before they pledge then it could be worth joining the Wehrlegig discord group as there are usually plenty of pick-up games running on the latest iteration of the design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
31 Mar 2021 09:16 #321487 by sornars
Replied by sornars on topic John Company
Agreed, on the above. I’m also much more keen to keep playing 1e while the development of 2e is ongoing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Apr 2021 15:21 - 01 Apr 2021 15:22 #321590 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic John Company
www.twitch.tv/videos/970746186

Very pleasurable 3p stream to watch because it is with Cole, his brother, and a veteran playtester so it plays at the pace of a normal game and not one of these interminable side tracked teaching games. Therefore similar to the ones we've played ourselves. I'm excited about this game, I ended up plumping for the coins as well what the hell.

There's a lot of discussion of unofficial TWBG John Company games on my discord, let me know via PM if you want an invite to my discord to get in on planning.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2021 15:22 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, themothman421, mezike, sornars, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds