October 09, 2023
2492 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2695 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk Small-Team Skirmish Games

More
31 Jan 2018 14:49 #262581 by the_jake_1973

cranberries wrote:

the_jake_1973 wrote: I am definitely buying Gaslands now. Interested in playing Da Bid?

$13, shipped, for just the rules (no templates)

Templates are free

I just want to customize Hot Wheels cars. lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2018 15:14 #262582 by engineer Al
OK, please excuse this shameless promotion, but I just can't stop myself because it seems to me that SPACE CADETS: AWAY MISSIONS fulfills many of the requirements laid out in the OP.

Upside: Lots of minis to paint for a relatively low price. Rules are easy and intuitive, yet do require a good deal of strategy and thought. More scenarios in the box than most people will ever use, yet still very easy to create your own.

Downside: Minis are nowhere near the quality of GW or CMON (but they are still cool!). Since it is cooperative it's hard to call it a "skirmish" game but it does involve a "small team" taking on a host of baddies.

You can skip this ad by clicking here: (STFU)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
31 Jan 2018 15:15 #262583 by quozl

Colorcrayons wrote: So after a few more games, I think converting Frostgrave to use hexes is gonna need a fairly major overhaul.

I'd have to make new spell cards (minor since I'm already in the process of throwing that through the photoshopatron) and a crib sheet for everything else.

It's either doing that, or buying a whole new slew of terrain and mats to play the game with. I think the effort in Photoshop will be easier and cheaper in the end.

I would just do what Stoic is doing and use Heroscape while measuring, except that the spaces confuse the kid, since he is so used to counting spaces and not measuring.

I got one of those big rubber mats that come in 4 puzzle pieces at Harbor Freight. ( www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatig...m-mat-set-94635.html ) and then I used a sharpie and marked it with 1 inch squares. Now we just count squares (1.5 inches if we go diagonally).

More
31 Jan 2018 16:39 #262589 by SuperflyPete
I would say that’s more of a Dudes in a Corridor game, Al, but it’s still among my top 5 sci fi games ever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
31 Jan 2018 17:14 #262592 by Michael Barnes
FFS Al, what do you think this is? Some kind of marketplace?

Looks like I need to sell some stuff to help fund my Frostgrave board. Watch for big sales!

More
31 Jan 2018 19:24 #262604 by engineer Al

SuperflyTNT wrote: I would say that’s more of a Dudes in a Corridor game, Al, but it’s still among my top 5 sci fi games ever.

Yeah, I know. Like I said I couldn't help myself. Hit on too many points. AND THANKS!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
01 Feb 2018 09:35 #262614 by SuperflyPete
You want to thank me? Here’s an idea: GET THE LONG OVERDUE EXPANSION OUT

More
01 Feb 2018 16:31 #262630 by engineer Al

SuperflyTNT wrote: GET THE LONG OVERDUE EXPANSION OUT

OUCH!

But yeah, the delays have been endless. STRONGHOLD has been overwhelmed by the success of some of their recent games. Good for STRONGHOLD, but bad for Rocketeers! Stephen did post on TOS recently that the expansion "Mission to Planet-X" will be a 2018 release, so the wait shouldn't be too much longer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
03 Feb 2018 22:58 #262749 by Colorcrayons
We used the Ulterior Motives deck twice today while playing Frostgrave.

Its the best bit of kit I have used so far for Frostgrave. I think if you have the rulebook and this deck of cards, you'd be set on enough content to last you a while.
I have all supplements so far now, but nothing has made the game as enjoyable when simply adding these cards. They should be considered compulsory since they integrate into the game so smoothly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
04 Feb 2018 01:21 #262755 by Michael Barnes
Are you using the special terrain pieces or using some kind of stand ins?

More
04 Feb 2018 06:51 #262762 by Matt Thrower
I got some samples through yesterday from a company called Spellcrow who make resin scenery and conversion kits for 40k.

spellcrow.com

Turns out some of it is a perfect fit for Shadespire - going to make a little project out of this and write it it up.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
04 Feb 2018 06:52 #262763 by Matt Thrower
I got some samples through yesterday from a company called Spellcrow who make resin scenery and conversion kits for 40k.

spellcrow.com

Turns out some of it is a perfect fit for Shadespire - going to make a little project out of this and write it it up.

More
04 Feb 2018 09:35 #262770 by stoic

Colorcrayons wrote: We used the Ulterior Motives deck twice today while playing Frostgrave.

Its the best bit of kit I have used so far for Frostgrave. I think if you have the rulebook and this deck of cards, you'd be set on enough content to last you a while.
I have all supplements so far now, but nothing has made the game as enjoyable when simply adding these cards. They should be considered compulsory since they integrate into the game so smoothly.

I have the Frostgrave basic ruleset. How would you rank the necessity of the other expansions?

This game is so easy to set up. For example, when we played the first scenario, Mausoleum, we used a Kleenex box for the building and then scattered the MTG: Arena of the Planeswalkers walls for the ruins along with bits of Heroscape tiles stacked on top of the MTG: Arena of the Planeswalker's cardboard flat hex terrain. Those walls from MTG: Arena of the Planeswalkers are so useful since the setting is ruins.

Attachments:

More
04 Feb 2018 10:31 #262772 by Michael Barnes
Y’all are some terrain hobos...I’m putting together some terrain just for Frostgrave now. The Pringles cans and cereal boxes don’t do it for me. I’m doing a 3x3 setup for it, got one of the Deep Cut mats and some older GW terrain pieces (Arcane Ruins, Ruins of Osgilliath). Going to mix that up with some Christmas village hills I stole from my mom, a couple of Citadel Woods, the Sigmarite Mausoleum, and the Pegasus stuff. Should have a completely packed board. I have some of the Fat Dragon paper stuff printed, not sure if I want to bother with it though.

Game is REALLY fun- fast and simple. It’s missing the massive lore and setting of the GE stuff of course but the exchange is a much more laid back, old fashioned kind of game. I sort of reminds me of the time I went back to playing Tunnels and Trolls after a long Dark Sun campaign. I actually really like how generalized a lot of it is- “hand weapon” could mean a mace, sword, or axe; a Man at Arms has the same stats regardless of race, that kind of thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, stoic

More
04 Feb 2018 10:51 #262775 by stoic

Michael Barnes wrote: Y’all are some terrain hobos...

Yep, that's me! LOL

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.728 seconds