October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Batman Kickstarter (w/discussion of FOMO sales method)

More
28 Feb 2018 04:26 - 08 Mar 2018 11:21 #264109 by Matt Thrower
Breaks $2 million in a day. Got the legs to beat Kingdom Death.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/b...tham-city-chronicles

Am I the only person who finds it alarming this is a "Kickstarter exclusive"? That a game based on Conan, which got a very mediocre reception, is pushing consumers toward a blind purchase on the basis of a great licence and nice figures?
Last edit: 08 Mar 2018 11:21 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2018 07:42 #264113 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Batman Kickstarter
I think there is a lot to be concerned about, really. I do appreciate that they only have two, very simple pledge levels. But it's an awful lot of money to ask from people after how Conan was handled, in my opinion. At least for the money, if I really wanted some Batman minis, I have alternatives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Feb 2018 08:17 #264116 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Batman Kickstarter
Way too expensive to back. I'll never play this nearly enough to justify the price tag. Hell, I don't play most of my games enough to justify their $60 price tag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
28 Feb 2018 08:28 #264117 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Batman Kickstarter
$140 for the bare bones edition, $320 for the all in edition. Fuck that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
28 Feb 2018 08:37 #264118 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Batman Kickstarter
I'm in for three.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
28 Feb 2018 08:39 - 28 Feb 2018 08:39 #264119 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Batman Kickstarter
I don't get it. Isn't there already some Batman board/minis game out? I see come great Batman paint jobs in the 'What Minis are you Painting?' thread...what do those go to? Of course, there are also deckbuilders, heroclix, etc.

Is there really this much demand for more Batman?
Last edit: 28 Feb 2018 08:39 by Mr. White.

More
28 Feb 2018 09:45 #264120 by hotseatgames
Their explanation of why this is Kickstarter Exclusive:

For a very simple reason: the game contains a lot of work and high-quality components on top of the cost of the Batman license.

To be able to offer you this game at a reasonable price, we had to cut our margins as low as possible. We cut them so much, in fact, that we cannot reduce them any further. Therefore, if we were to sell this game to a distributor, who then would sell it to retailers, the final price of the base game for you gamers would be multiplied by 2.5. That would be more than $350 for the base game only!

We talk from experience as we offered Conan, our first Kickstarter project, through retail a few years back, and it turns out, that we had to lower our selling price to the distributor so much that we did not make any money on this. And you will understand that this is not a very good business model for a company.

More
28 Feb 2018 10:00 - 28 Feb 2018 10:01 #264121 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Batman Kickstarter

That a game based on Conan, which got a very mediocre reception, is pushing consumers toward a blind purchase on the basis of a great licence and nice figures?

Conan, is fucking great. Most of the criticism around it involve packaging and the lack of kickstarter content - one of Michael's biggest complaints was the skeletons depicted on the cover which aren't included in the base game.

Seriously, Conan is every bit as good as Claustrophobia and deserves to be up there amidst the top of the French produced Ameritrash. Conan is probably a top 20-30 game of all time for me. It perfectly encapsulates drama, heroic feats, and streamlined simplicity while maintaining an edge.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2018 10:01 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, vegasrobb, Frohike, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
28 Feb 2018 10:19 #264122 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Batman Kickstarter
If a publisher can not finance the production of a fucking BATMAN game without Kickstarter, the license is in the wrong hands. I’d like to see this “$350 retail value” board game. I smell LIES or at least exaggerations. Whatever, if it’s a Kickstarter only thing, I’ll likely never play it. I’ll get by.

Conan could have been great and there were great things about it. Kickstarter killed it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Feb 2018 10:40 #264124 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Batman Kickstarter

hotseatgames wrote: Their explanation of why this is Kickstarter Exclusive:

For a very simple reason: the game contains a lot of work and high-quality components on top of the cost of the Batman license.

To be able to offer you this game at a reasonable price, we had to cut our margins as low as possible. We cut them so much, in fact, that we cannot reduce them any further. Therefore, if we were to sell this game to a distributor, who then would sell it to retailers, the final price of the base game for you gamers would be multiplied by 2.5. That would be more than $350 for the base game only!

We talk from experience as we offered Conan, our first Kickstarter project, through retail a few years back, and it turns out, that we had to lower our selling price to the distributor so much that we did not make any money on this. And you will understand that this is not a very good business model for a company.

No, they had to lower the price of CONAN to distributors because by the time the retail side of the business had access to it, the word was out that the game sucked.

By going Kickstarter only, it's all about pure FOMO with a popular license.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons

More
28 Feb 2018 10:47 - 28 Feb 2018 10:49 #264125 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Batman Kickstarter

Msample wrote: the word was out that the game sucked.

Where are you getting this from? It had excellent reviews, and the proof is in the fact that they did a follow up kickstarter for a hardback book of just scenarios (no minis) and the demand was so large they had to go back to the factory and setup later print runs in waves to satisfy everyone. This shows that the game has a huge amount of fans. Conan was one of the best Kickstarter purchases I've ever made. Every Ameritrasher I've played it with loves it.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2018 10:49 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Feb 2018 10:55 - 28 Feb 2018 11:11 #264127 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Batman Kickstarter
Shenanigans? On Kickstarter? THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS! Cancel my order! Unless you make all the stretch goals, then I'm back in. BUT YOU'RE ON NOTICE!

I don't know where I got the word at the time that Conan kinda sucked, but I got the word. That was the chatter at the time.

That "why it's Kickstarter only" section is complete hooey. "Why is it only on Kickstarter? Because we make top coin that way, retailers ain't gonna be able to sell this thing at that price and we sure as hell ain't gonna get stuck with unsold inventory again."

Kickstarter is the new QVC, and this game is a screamer. God bless capitalism, even if it's the fake kind from France.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2018 11:11 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Colorcrayons

More
28 Feb 2018 11:01 #264128 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Batman Kickstarter

charlest wrote:

That a game based on Conan, which got a very mediocre reception, is pushing consumers toward a blind purchase on the basis of a great licence and nice figures?

Conan, is fucking great. Most of the criticism around it involve packaging and the lack of kickstarter content - one of Michael's biggest complaints was the skeletons depicted on the cover which aren't included in the base game.

Seriously, Conan is every bit as good as Claustrophobia and deserves to be up there amidst the top of the French produced Ameritrash. Conan is probably a top 20-30 game of all time for me. It perfectly encapsulates drama, heroic feats, and streamlined simplicity while maintaining an edge.

May I suggest.... Francotrash?

I love Conan, very happy to have it. Sadly, my game group doesn't like it as much, so it waits for me until I find better friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Feb 2018 11:05 #264129 by hotseatgames
Conan had a good foundation. A lot of the stuff they piled on top was not good, and the scenarios were very hit or miss. If they truly learned from that experience, then Batman could very well be a good game. But I am not floating them an interest-free loan of $320 to find out.

More
28 Feb 2018 11:11 #264132 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Batman Kickstarter
Now that I've had a chance to look at the KS page, it does look pretty awesome. It's definitely not for me. But if I had a 10-year-old son who loved Batman, you can bet that this would be under the Christmas tree this year. For kids (of any age) who could spend time with this, play all the scenarios, make their own, paint the minis... this has the potential to be the kind of game that someone remembers fondly for decades.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds