October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Blood Bowl vs. Tech?No! Bowl

More
21 Mar 2018 11:00 #266076 by repoman
In my best Junior High English Teacher Voice:

Compare and contrast Blood Bowl and Tech?No! Bowl. Which is superior and why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2018 11:15 #266079 by hotseatgames
While I truly love the aesthetic of Blood Bowl, as far as the actual game goes, Tech?No! Bowl wins this, and it's not even close.

Blood Bowl always felt like some brawl that happens to be on a football field, which is fine, but it takes too long for what it is. If you want the best football experience in board game form, Techno Bowl delivers that; you still get dice that can screw you, but you get to make real plays that don't devolve into large pile-ups. I think it rewards bluffing, clever planning, etc.

You get 32 teams in the box. Is each team radically different from each other? No.... but the differences do matter. It is true that in terms of pure visuals, you don't get anything as cool as Blood Bowl.

A legacy mode was just released in "pay what you want" form, and it details how you start out your team with basically nothing, and over time purchase skills for players, buy a stadium, etc.

More
21 Mar 2018 11:18 - 21 Mar 2018 11:19 #266080 by Mr. White
Haven't played Tech?No! Bowl, but I can imagine it plays more similar to American football proper. So, if that's what you're looking for, go with Tech?No! Bowl.

Blood Bowl is loosely based on American football, but also rugby and warhammer. There's also a very well vetted league system that has been hammered into place after almost three decades of play. Also, the long-term health of BB is very good. In the ~10years GW didn't support BB...its fanbase _grew_. I can't think of too many games that prosper like that.

BB will pretty much always be around. Tech?No! Bowl...you may need to champion in a few years.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2018 11:19 by Mr. White.

More
21 Mar 2018 12:12 #266089 by the_jake_1973
Blood Bowl is as much about plays as Techno Bowl. They just happen to be structured very differently.

There is significant risk management in both that is appealing. Just as in BB, a bad roll in TB will sink you just as easily. Clever planning is key in both games, but you do not get the chance to reset in BB. That players can be removed from the pitch in BB makes you do more with less at times and that ends up being more challenging than a constant 8v8.

BB truly shines in the league format. I've not tried the TB league rules, but given their youth, I would not expect the depth of the BB league rules.

One-off games in BB can be unremarkable. TB has an edge in this department.

TB presents a better intro package than BB with all teams available in the box. However, you can play BB for free with all kinds of teams at FUMBBL. Perhaps that is a wash.

The computerized versions of BB are an appropriate time length at about 1.5 hours. Tabletop would be longer and is part of why I do not play that format. I've only played an actual game of TB on TTS and it took closer to three hours after setup. It was my first game and definitely explains the length. I would guess that if I had scripted plays and formations, all would go smoother.

Overall, they are games of equal complexity and both take a good deal of skill to play well. The learning curves of both are about the same. The skill roll and result mechanic that TB has is fantastic and I would love for that to be incorporated into BB in some fashion.

Blood Bowl is the winner for me, but by a very slim margin.

More
21 Mar 2018 12:29 - 21 Mar 2018 14:04 #266091 by Josh Look
Techno Bowl is more of a game. It’s still open to enormous swings of luck, but has more “smart, modern mechanics.”

Blood Bowl, on the other hand, is a game I’ll pretty much always be able to pull off the shelf and I’ll have a good remembrance of how to play, while I’m going to need to read the rules in full with Techno Bowl. That’s a huge plus in BB’s favor. It builds more of a narrative, which is very much at the heart of what GW does best. It might not be as elegant as TB, but the push-your-luck mechanic at the core of BB’s gameplay is fun and can be very exciting. You can practically hear the roar of the crowd as you don’t fuck up a crucial, unlikely roll that allows you to pull of the play you were setting up. It’s a more visceral experience for sure.

I own both. I was going to ditch one, but they’re completely different games and I’m happy to keep both for the time being.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2018 14:04 by Josh Look.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds