October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Jurassic Park: Danger!

More
12 May 2018 09:33 #273184 by Josh Look
Jurassic Park: Danger Adventure Strategy Game

Ravensberger just put this out. Target exclusive, $24.99. I’m a lifelong dinosaur kid and a JP fan, so I couldn’t resist and picked it up.

It’s really cool! The production is really great for the price and it’s clear that a lot of love for the first JP movie went into it. They managed to give some personality to the 10 human characters, everyone has their own unique deck and they have a personal goal they need to fulfill before escaping, but you can also play as the dinosaurs, which is always important.

I need to play it some more, but I can say there’s more gameplay here than I had anticipated, it’s seems pretty balanced between the humans and dinosaurs, and it should be pretty replayable between the modular map and how each character plays a little different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, southernman, ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, jpat, engineer Al, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2018 10:20 #273185 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Jurassic Park: Danger!
Thanks one benefit of being US-based, games like these can come out at a good price for anyone to buy - I don't want to think what it will cost across the pond ... if it even makes it.

More
12 May 2018 10:33 #273187 by Michael Barnes
I got this last night. Looks awesome- sort of a more detailed Survive! Some very cool ideas- all the characters have an achievement-like goal they have to meet and the players have to cooperate to activate three sites before they can escape.

Odd that it is Forrest Pruzan but a Ravensburger imprint.

I’ll review it next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
12 May 2018 12:42 #273192 by Disgustipater
I realized last weekend during a game night my wife organized that I've gotten bored of Survive. This looks a lot more engaging. Not sure if she'd be cool with dumping Survive for this, but we'll see.

More
12 May 2018 15:07 #273196 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Jurassic Park: Danger!
I'd buy it at that price just to have another dinosaur game. But it looks like a US exculsive. As Southernman says, if it makes it here it'll double in price.

More
13 May 2018 14:49 #273228 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Jurassic Park: Danger!
This looks like a perfectly decent game. Nice components aside from the meeples, special objectives, and separate decks for each player. I think it would be reasonably fun, and the price is extremely reasonable. But it doesn't look like this game does anything special, and seems less innovative overall than Escape from 100 Million B.C. I would totally play this game, but reluctantly pass on buying it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
29 May 2018 12:17 - 29 May 2018 12:19 #274237 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Jurassic Park: Danger!
We played Jurassic Park: Danger, since we were out in an area that has a Target. It is a fun little game, about Survive levels of weight/violence. There are special cards for all the characters, as well as goals that tie into their movie roles.

My daughter started with Lex Murphy, the gal who ended up re-starting the computer system. So her goal is to get to the control center.

I started with the blood sucking lawyer, whose goal is to not be attacked, and whose special card is to 'run away' better than anyone else. there is definitely some decent strategy with moving the dinosaurs around and when to turn the fences on/off.

I really like how the game has you refill your hand. As you play cards, you place them in the discard pile. if the dinosaurs attack you (or attack you multiple times in around) and you run out of cards in hand, your character is dead. But to take your discarded cards back into hand, you need to 'burn'(take out of the game) the cards that are left in your hand, making for a neat push your luck bit. So burn some cards now for a short term gain/safety, but have less cards available over all for that character.

There is some reading for the humans, so my son played the dinosaurs and did a good job corralling the humans away from the places they needed to go. The special dinosaur actions help to make the 3 dinosaurs you control feel different. Raptor being really fast, Dilophosaur spitting into adjacent hexes, and the Rex being terrible if he attacks you at the wrong time. Overall, I like it as a fun family game
Last edit: 29 May 2018 12:19 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, stoic

More
29 May 2018 12:39 #274239 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Jurassic Park: Danger!

Shellhead wrote: This looks like a perfectly decent game. Nice components aside from the meeples, special objectives, and separate decks for each player. I think it would be reasonably fun, and the price is extremely reasonable. But it doesn't look like this game does anything special, and seems less innovative overall than Escape from 100 Million B.C. I would totally play this game, but reluctantly pass on buying it.

This is pretty much my opinion after a play. I dig the Gloomhaven-esque hand management system, but there's not much else in this game really bringing me back to it over something else. Would much rather play anything else on my shelf in this weight class.

I also am not a huge fan of the combat just draining your hand a specific amount. It could use some more drama in that regard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds