October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

So what do you think about Roborally?

More
06 Jun 2018 16:38 #274855 by Erik Twice
What is says on the title! Also, what are your thoughts on the new version compared to the old ones?

It's a fairly divisive title but people who like it love ir very dearly. Where do you fall?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2018 16:46 #274858 by ubarose
I used to love Robo Rally. For it to shine you need a good map. I used to play with a dude who would set up these crazy maps that would take hours to play through. Not many people enjoyed that.

I don’t recall there being much difference between the versions.

More
06 Jun 2018 16:52 #274859 by southernman
Thought it was great fun when I had it, just never had enough people wanting to play it. The 1st edition had all the better boards, can't remember much about he 2nd edition. The age old joke is about everyone doing robot dances at the table, everyone moving their arms and hands to orientate themselves with their cards as they planned their moves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
06 Jun 2018 16:55 #274860 by Shellhead
If you keep the map simple and play with a timer, Roborally can be fun. With a big layout and no timer, the game drags on and on even after there is an obvious winner.

More
06 Jun 2018 17:01 #274863 by ubarose
Yeah, that’s right, the older version had more boards so you you could build a big crazy map. But as Shellhead points out, that’s not necessarily a good thing. I think the newer version had player mats with some info, I think sequence of play and maybe some timing clearifications or color coding or something like that, that made the game easier to teach.

More
06 Jun 2018 17:47 #274870 by ChristopherMD
Roborally is probably my favorite game. I've enjoyed it for over 20 years and would still play more. I have my own customized copy that uses bits/boards from several editions. A few observations;

Laser Maze is the worst board. For some reason everyone wants to play it but for me it just slows down the game because everyone will be powering down a lot to recover. The boards with water are bad for the same reason. Your bots will move slower so the only real effect is the game will take longer.

The German edition had Garfields original rules where there were no virtual bots and you just had to pass through a checkpoint like in an actual rally instead of stopping on it. These were the best rules and I still prefer them although now we use the starting boards instead of virtual bots anyways.

Never use more than 2 boards* and a few flags that are placed where they aren't impossible to get to. People who complain about game length usually played with several boards and flags far apart or in hard to reach spots. *The only exception is the Grand Prix expansion which has 3 boards that go together to make a race track of conveyors where you move fast.

Not understanding left from right or having poor spatial skills in general make the game MORE fun to play. It's a silly game and the fun is really in the journey not the ending. It's not only okay to screw up, its practically the whole point of the game. If you can't laugh at your bot falling into a pit because you were only supposed to move 2 before turning left then this isn't the game for you. If you don't like getting pushed into a pit because your friend decided to be a dick this turn then this game is also not for you.

For those who don't know, Richard Garfield re-designed the game for the newest version a year or two ago. Every player has their own small deck of cards for programming. When you take damage you add a damage card to your deck that can only be removed by playing it in your register. There were a few other changes as well that all tried to make the game more appealing to fun-murderers who can't handle getting dealt all left turns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, southernman, Gary Sax, allismom3, jay718, Sagrilarus, JMcL63, Jexik, drewcula, Nodens

More
06 Jun 2018 18:44 #274872 by ubarose
And so you see, the secret to an excellent game of Roborally is knowing someone like MD who has the knowledge, and experience to set up the map, and knows which rules or house rules makes for the best game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, drewcula, Nodens

More
06 Jun 2018 19:07 #274874 by Sagrilarus
I've played 8 bots on one map, and it was hilarious. Couldn't help but shoot each other.

Love the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Jexik, Nodens

More
07 Jun 2018 04:53 #274889 by Nodens
RoboRally is still among my favourite games. We used to play whole day sessions and shorter ones, but the big events with 6+ players and a carefully designed track (like Grand Prix) were the most fun. We ended up with organisation houserules like: dealer duty moves clockwise around the board, dealer is referee in rules and timing disputes.
I still have over 40 boards and 20 robots stored somewhere and have played online daily for almost 20 years, but may never again play offline. Usually the online versions of RoboRally have very intersting boards in all shapes, not the typical 12x12 square, and the rules are changed to make the game more tactical and less chaotic, mainly by calculating priority based on the prior turn.
I tend to dislike certain details like the finite number of lives and Arena games whithout checkpoints, but stay out of those, play on my own board designs and get to play and stay in contact with people I don't often meet IRL any more.
Awesome system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Jexik

More
07 Jun 2018 07:28 #274891 by JMcL63
I too love Roborally. I've got the 1994 WotC edition with an expansion or two. It was easily one of my most-played games back when I used to go to the local club and had a regular gaming group. I agree with people who point out that board layout is crucial to an enjoyable game. And yes, it is a game that requires you to celebrate your SNAFUs. I've got lots of good memories from games of Roborally, but if I had to pick just one? It's the time when, playing a game including two newbs at the club, Twonky -

(Twonky was my personal bot of choice) took a point of damage. Eyeing up the board position, I decided to feed it through The Big One which, being an explosive option, went off. Sixty-four points of exploding damage later, the smoke cleared, and fully two other bots had joined Twonky back at their spawning points. The look of sheer dumbstruck amazement on those two newbs' faces was priceless! Twonky getting The Big One was always a source of amusement because I was always determined to set it off, invariably at my own expense, but that was the best time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample

More
07 Jun 2018 08:52 #274895 by southernman

Nodens wrote: RoboRally is still among my favourite games. We used to play whole day sessions and shorter ones, but the big events with 6+ players and a carefully designed track (like Grand Prix) were the most fun. We ended up with organisation houserules like: dealer duty moves clockwise around the board, dealer is referee in rules and timing disputes.
I still have over 40 boards and 20 robots stored somewhere and have played online daily for almost 20 years, but may never again play offline. Usually the online versions of RoboRally have very intersting boards in all shapes, not the typical 12x12 square, and the rules are changed to make the game more tactical and less chaotic, mainly by calculating priority based on the prior turn.
I tend to dislike certain details like the finite number of lives and Arena games whithout checkpoints, but stay out of those, play on my own board designs and get to play and stay in contact with people I don't often meet IRL any more.
Awesome system.

Online ?

More
07 Jun 2018 08:55 #274896 by southernman
Once again Viscount M Barnes, Eurosnoot, is in the fun-killing minority - I can only wonder what his premium site 'Games by Michael' talks about (apart from GW).
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
07 Jun 2018 11:01 #274900 by Nodens

Southernman wrote: Online ?

Robo Racer
It's not RoboRally, but it's fun. And it's got a great community.

More
07 Jun 2018 13:53 #274914 by Jexik
Classic. I play it once or twice a year, usually with new players on just one board. I probably win less than half the time. It's a blast for 75% of people and hell for the last quarter.

More
07 Jun 2018 16:12 #274931 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am one of the few that finds Roborally hell. I enjoy chaos in my games (love me some Dungeonquest), but I think for me the chaos has to come from cards/dice and not tactical mistakes by players. I just found that every time my robot stuffs up, it makes me feel like it is my fault as I mistook left for right or forgot about something on the board, and so I felt like I had made myself look like an idiot in front of everyone else. This probably comes from being a mathematician/programmer so I feel that I shouldn't make these mistakes as it is my job.

So while everyone makes mistakes in Roborally, I weirdly found I could never excuse my own mistakes so it was just an exercise in self punishment.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds