October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Revisiting: King of Tokyo

More
10 Jun 2018 12:58 #275056 by ChristopherMD
This game was highly regarded around here for a couple years after it came out. How has it held up for you? Do you play it regularly? Has some other dice game taken over? How have you liked New York in comparison? Did you sell it as a shelf toad? If someone asked for a dice game recommendation would it still come to mind? Is your copy pimped out at all?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2018 13:06 #275057 by engineer Al
I still LOVE this game. My copy is currently at work because I have been playing it pretty constantly with some of my middle school students. I have a bunch of games at work but this one is asked for all the time. When my daughter came home from school recently she asked me where it was and was disappointed that we couldn't play it.

I really liked the NY version as well, but I don't seem to own it. . . More game there but maybe not a "better" game? I need to play it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, siberianhusky, WadeMonnig

More
10 Jun 2018 14:48 #275060 by Colorcrayons

ChristopherMD wrote: This game was highly regarded around here for a couple years after it came out.

1) How has it held up for you?

2) Do you play it regularly?

3) Has some other dice game taken over?

4) How have you liked New York in comparison?

5) Did you sell it as a shelf toad?

6) If someone asked for a dice game recommendation would it still come to mind?

7) Is your copy pimped out at all?

The hype has died, but it's still solid.

1) I still like and own it. My enthusiasm has dimmed a bit, but I still consider it one of the few games I consider a keeper.

2) I don't play it regularly, but then again my game playing is curtailed in general, so that may be why.

3) Nah.

4) King of New York is good. But I enjoy Tokyo for it's relatively short game time. New York overstays it's welcome a bit for me and the added stuff doesn't really add any enjoyment to me.

5) I still own Tokyo. Never liked New York enough to buy it.

6) I think so. For what it is, it's a very good game. It's accessible not only for rules design, but also setting. Elder Sign and such lack that.

7) Yeah. I even managed to fit the components in my case that contains Destroy all Monsters, which now makes it the 'Kaiju Kase'.

Seen below is the now impossible to download board from BGG made by the guy who does all the foam core pimping there. Some homemade evolutions cards, Monpoc Kaiju, Monpoc health trackers for health and VP.

The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, engineer Al, stoic, WadeMonnig

More
10 Jun 2018 17:24 #275066 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I still regularly play KoT as it is one of our go to 40 minute games. I am dubious about the expansions as they tend to extend the play time (and we have removed a few cards from the game that extend the time as well).

I tried King of New York once and hated it. It overly complicated the game for no real benefit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
10 Jun 2018 17:49 - 10 Jun 2018 18:05 #275068 by WadeMonnig

ChristopherMD wrote: This game was highly regarded around here for a couple years after it came out. How has it held up for you? Do you play it regularly? Has some other dice game taken over? How have you liked New York in comparison? Did you sell it as a shelf toad? If someone asked for a dice game recommendation would it still come to mind? Is your copy pimped out at all?

1.) Held up fantastically. Added all expansions, which really makes it pop. Power Up is a must, doesn't extend the time and makes each monster feel unique.
2.) Play it at least twice a month, usually multiple times once it is out.
3.) Nothing has taken over, per se. I like many dice games, so none have really replaced others.
4.) Better than New York, which I also own. What new York added was complexity without added fun.
5.) Totally comes to mind, especially as a gateway game.
6.) Talked about pimping it with minis but never have gotten around to it.

Edit: I have a review pending of the King King character add on, should be up on therewillbe.games soonish.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2018 18:05 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, engineer Al

More
10 Jun 2018 22:41 #275072 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Revisiting: King of Tokyo
I have never played King of Tokyo. I did try the New York version once, and wasn't impressed.

More
11 Jun 2018 06:25 - 11 Jun 2018 06:26 #275081 by Matt Thrower
I really liked it. The throughput of games across my table is too fast for anything to really stick long-term nowadays (which makes me a bit sad, but the advantages are considerable) but it had a much longer than average turn in the limelight. It's something I get a strong sense I'd go back to. I really liked the way it gave a feel of almost building an RPG character, together with lots of violence and table chat, a good mix of excitement and a strategy in really convenient package.

For fun, I made a list of my top 50 games a little while ago: going to write something about it so not too many spoilers but - KoT made the cut. By quite a margin, too.

Unlike Wade, I didn't care much for Power Up. The extra healing made games last too long and although the extra rules for distinctive monsters weren't exactly complex, they didn't seem to pay off in terms of the effort. Maybe I should break it out and try it again: good excuse to get the game back to the table.

Never played King of New York. Never seen the need when I already have such a great game.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2018 06:26 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons, WadeMonnig

More
11 Jun 2018 09:18 #275087 by Legomancer
I got rid of my copy as it was something no one ever asked for and I never felt like bringing to game day over something else.

More
11 Jun 2018 10:18 #275091 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Revisiting: King of Tokyo
It was fun but my dice symbols started wearing off. I hate non-embossed dice. Or whatever the term is when companies print stuff on plain cubes.

More
11 Jun 2018 10:25 #275092 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Revisiting: King of Tokyo
I enjoyed Power Up as it added to that RPG character element you suggest Matt. Still, this one never gets pulled out with my group and I think I have other games I'd choose to play with non-gamers. I was waiting for my daughter to get old enough to play it (she's probably there now), but since it doesn't work well two player that notion has little merit.

I just put mine up for sale on BGG thanks to this thread.

More
11 Jun 2018 11:18 #275096 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Revisiting: King of Tokyo

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I still regularly play KoT as it is one of our go to 40 minute games. I am dubious about the expansions as they tend to extend the play time (and we have removed a few cards from the game that extend the time as well).

I tried King of New York once and hated it. It overly complicated the game for no real benefit.

That's my take as well. I love the base game as-is. King of Tokyo should be lean and mean. I see no need for any extra stuff. I own the Power-up expansion, but I think we only played it once, and nobody has ever asked for it again.

King of New York is okay, but the board gets a lot messier with the tokens for tanks, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
11 Jun 2018 12:51 - 11 Jun 2018 12:51 #275101 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Revisiting: King of Tokyo

Joebot wrote:

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I still regularly play KoT as it is one of our go to 40 minute games. I am dubious about the expansions as they tend to extend the play time (and we have removed a few cards from the game that extend the time as well).

That's my take as well. I love the base game as-is. King of Tokyo should be lean and mean. I see no need for any extra stuff. I own the Power-up expansion, but I think we only played it once, and nobody has ever asked for it again.

King of New York is okay, but the board gets a lot messier with the tokens for tanks, etc.

Yeah, love KoT, dislike KoNY. Much like 7 Wonders' Leaders' expansion, it seeks to make more of a "game" out of something that was already fun. KoNY pulls you in too many directions, makes longer turns, and can have you die to the human forces on the board. Lame.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2018 12:51 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds