October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

It's time to talk about *playing* Gloomhaven

More
20 Jun 2018 09:47 #275806 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Gloomhaven
Charlest, I thought there were solo character campaign things. I thought Barnes or Grud had said that earlier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2018 09:58 #275808 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Gloomhaven

Black Barney wrote: Charlest, I thought there were solo character campaign things. I thought Barnes or Grud had said that earlier

There are some solo quest things that are separate from the main game, but you really want to play the main storyline, which is what I assume Barnes is doing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Jun 2018 11:38 #275819 by Shellhead
Gloomhaven is the highest rated game at BGG right now. Also #1 thematic and #1 strategic.

More
20 Jun 2018 13:28 #275828 by Black Barney
hasn't it been #1 for a while?

That must be what has triggered people at work to all of a sudden talk about it. We have a yammer group on board games and people are asking about it. I don't think they know it's only Kickstarter. And they seem to think it's a RPG

More
20 Jun 2018 13:32 #275830 by Space Ghost
I’m selling a first edition version if anyone’s interested

More
20 Jun 2018 13:53 - 20 Jun 2018 13:54 #275834 by ubarose

Black Barney wrote: hasn't it been #1 for a while?

That must be what has triggered people at work to all of a sudden talk about it. We have a yammer group on board games and people are asking about it. I don't think they know it's only Kickstarter. And they seem to think it's a RPG

It has been released to retail. I believe a shipment just hit stores within the last couple of weeks. (Lots of talk recently by people who have received their pre-orders)
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 13:54 by ubarose.

More
20 Jun 2018 14:09 #275836 by Black Barney
oh nice! That's great to hear. That must have dropped the price substantially I hope?

poor Space Ghost, he's like two months too late from probably scoring a huge price on selling his copy. At least he has his erased pinball high scores to comfort him
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Jun 2018 14:15 #275839 by charlest
It was released to retail over a year ago, it's just sold through its print run immediately every single time. I think this is the third printing to hit retail.

More
20 Jun 2018 14:35 - 20 Jun 2018 14:37 #275841 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Gloomhaven

Black Barney wrote: oh nice! That's great to hear. That must have dropped the price substantially I hope?

poor Space Ghost, he's like two months too late from probably scoring a huge price on selling his copy. At least he has his erased pinball high scores to comfort him

I think the MSRP has gone up $20 with this printing. I am fairly certain my FLGS was selling copies for $120 last fall.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 14:37 by ChristopherMD.

More
30 Jul 2018 22:31 #278802 by BillyBobThwarton
Replied by BillyBobThwarton on topic Gloomhaven
Damn, what a game! I've gone at this game on 16 different occasions now and I feel like it's all I'll want to play for some time. When I think I might have some time to game, I now ask myself if I have enough time for Gloomhaven, and if it's ok if I won't be able to sleep for a while. I don't think there has been a scenario yet where I haven't gotten to enjoy slowly sipping a drink and chewing over the tactics. Once it's over, whether victory or defeat, I find myself wound up more than I get on a cup of coffee, unable to rest for an hour or two.

Last night, I had a go at one scenario (#18, Abandoned Sewers) with my blessings from the temple, and I got annihilated. Things started out great, and I was feeling pretty clever, and then right in the middle, it all went to crap. I was so frustrated, but excited about being so at the same time. For the last 24 hours I would think on it from time to time... I re-considered positioning and card combos (cragheart and scoundrel atm). Feeling the bug, I gave it another go. Refusing to bump down the difficulty, I cleared the abandoned sewers on the second try, without any blessings. This round gave me a lot new challenges to chew on, and puzzling out my best move gave many moments of satisfaction. With my win coming down to the wire, and with my prior defeat, I got a got an intense feeling of satisfaction unrivaled by most games I can think of, cardboard or digital.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
09 Aug 2018 05:55 #279522 by Galdred
Someone recommened me to take inspiration from Gloomhaven for Zodiac Legion, my upcoming tactical RPG on PC (basically fantasy X-COM). But do you think the mechanisms would translate well to a traditional (ie a bit simulationist) computer tactical RPG?
If I cannot use the deckbuilding mechanisms (because it would appear as too gamey), what would there be left for me to steal from the game?

More
09 Aug 2018 08:43 #279525 by SuperflyPete
So, basically, it’s a solo game.

More
09 Aug 2018 09:05 #279526 by drewcula

SuperflyTNT wrote: So, basically, it’s a solo game.

I know others play it in a group, but for me - solo. I've played 8 times in a removable sticker set campaign. I manage two characters, and it feels pretty good.

A close friend also has a copy. He's doing the same thing. We compare notes every now and then. Will we ever play together? Probably not. When we see each other, it's time for DreadBall!

I find the solitaire experience for this rewarding. It scratches a miniature itch that I can't get with Arkham Horror LCG. If playing with others, I'd really cap it at two. I would think a 3 or 4 player game would take a long bloody time.

More
09 Aug 2018 14:37 #279542 by Hex Sinister

SuperflyTNT wrote: So, basically, it’s a solo game.

It's the perfect game for couples, maybe the best. That is, if she likes to grind. We spent a lot on AH:Tcg before this and haven't touched it since.

More
10 Aug 2018 00:01 #279567 by ChristopherMD
I heard this is getting a digital version. I might check that out if it doesn't cost $140.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds