October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

CMON's KS Hubris and Cthulhu and Madness

More
12 Jul 2018 15:08 #277406 by Shellhead

Chaz wrote: I watched a bit of the video playthrough they put up for this. I noped out about the time they explained that if you let Cthulhu get about halfway down the track, he shows up on the board, and you can shoot him in the face. As far as I'm concerned, if you design the system where an elder god can show up and then get banished by shooting him, you've kind of missed the point of the Lovecraft mythos.

I used to collect games based on the Cthulhu Mythos, before that segment of the hobby blew up to near-zombie horde proportions. Almost none of those games were based on Lovecraft's concept of the mythos. A game that really simulated a Lovecraftian tale of the mythos would be a slow-paced solitaire game with an abrupt, unwinnable endgame. Lovecraft didn't even like boardgames, though admittedly the pickings were slim during his lifetime. The reality is that most boardgames about the Cthulhu Mythos are more accurately described as games inspired by the Call of Cthulhu rpg, where it is not unusual for characters to successfully shoot up lesser monsters and at least escape from the bigger threats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2018 15:27 #277408 by charlest
Mythos Tales is the only Lovecraft game I've seen that gets anywhere near an accurate portrayal of one of his works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, hotseatgames, drewcula

More
12 Jul 2018 15:51 #277410 by Chaz
I don't necessarily mind when a Lovecraft game lets you fight with monsters. I can live with shooting cultists. Hell, I can be okay with fighting some of the bigger monsters too, as long as there's a good chance you come out limping. It's just real silly when the actual elder gods show up, and you stand a chance at going toe to toe with them.

I really do need to pick up Mythos Tales. And I hope the two video games that are in development come out okay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
12 Jul 2018 17:23 #277417 by jeb
ARKHAM HORROR obviously can end with Final Battle, which you can actually win if you get kitted successfully, but for the most part, fighting like half of that game's monsters sucks and should largely be avoided except to prevent certain OTHER bad things from happening. I remember a Dhole just killing every person that came close to it. It was like 3-0. We finally banished it with a Gate closure. It was a wrecking ball and conveyed that aspect of the Mythos quite well. Fire Vampires, Ghosts, those frigging Hounds of of the Tindalos. Everything can kill you. Except Mi-Gos. We treat those guys like piñatas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Frohike, drewcula

More
12 Jul 2018 17:36 - 12 Jul 2018 17:37 #277418 by ubarose

jeb wrote: Everything can kill you. Except Mi-Gos. We treat those guys like piñatas.

You made me laugh. Then my officemate asked why I was laughing. I told her "Funny kitten pictures." Then she said, "Show me." So I had to say, "I lied. It was stupid geek stuff, involving monsters and piñatas." Then she gave me THAT look.

It's all your fault.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2018 17:37 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, allismom3, Frohike, Colorcrayons, drewcula, WadeMonnig

More
12 Jul 2018 18:00 - 12 Jul 2018 18:03 #277420 by Josh Look

Chaz wrote: I don't necessarily mind when a Lovecraft game lets you fight with monsters.

I’m at the point where I’m really irritated with it. It’s not like there’s a shortage of these pulpy Lovecraftian adventure games, but I can tell you what there is a shortage of that’s really damned close, and that’s Indiana Jones pulpy adventure games. I love Eldritch Horror, but I’d love it even more if it was that kind of IJ theme. Mechanically, it’s kind of perfect for it. We’ve got a mess of Euro games of varying quality and Fortune and Glory, which is a hot mess and too behind the times for my liking. How hard can it be to just leave Cthulhu out and let me rob tombs and kill Nazis for once?
Last edit: 12 Jul 2018 18:03 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, allismom3, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
12 Jul 2018 18:09 #277421 by Shellhead

jeb wrote: Except Mi-Gos. We treat those guys like piñatas.

That is exactly what I call Mi-Gos when we play Arkham Horror. IIRC, I think Mi-Go were like that even in the original Chaosium edition of Arkham Horror, way back in '87.

More
12 Jul 2018 18:10 #277422 by Shellhead

Josh Look wrote:

Chaz wrote: I don't necessarily mind when a Lovecraft game lets you fight with monsters.

I’m at the point where I’m really irritated with it. It’s not like there’s a shortage of these pulpy Lovecraftian adventure games, but I can tell you what there is a shortage of that’s really damned close, and that’s Indiana Jones pulpy adventure games. I love Eldritch Horror, but I’d love it even more if it was that kind of IJ theme. Mechanically, it’s kind of perfect for it. We’ve got a mess of Euro games of varying quality and Fortune and Glory, which is a hot mess and too behind the times for my liking. How hard can it be to just leave Cthulhu out and let me rob tombs and kill Nazis for once?

I blame Shia LeBeouf.

More
12 Jul 2018 23:28 #277432 by ubarose
Lovecraft = public domain = money
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, drewcula, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds