October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

CMON's KS Hubris and Cthulhu and Madness

More
10 Jul 2018 15:53 - 10 Jul 2018 15:54 #277252 by ubarose
Oh, man people are freaking the hell out. They released a limited number (250) at $220 (with the game). That pledge level sold out in five minutes, so then they did 100 at $225. Those sold out so they did 100 at $230. Essentially raising the price every 5 minutes. So they went from pledge levels of $220 to $250 in 22 minutes. People are super pissed off about the price hikes. "Oh, the injustice of it all." But they bought them anyway.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2018 15:54 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2018 15:58 #277254 by ubarose
Also they just reopened the $250 level pledge. You can go there and watch the money roll in. It went fro 100 backers to 600 backers in the time it took me to write the above post.

More
10 Jul 2018 16:06 #277255 by Shellhead

Legomancer wrote: At the end of the day, 90% of "geek culture" is a dick-measuring contest of who's the biggest fan, demonstrated by how much money they're willing to spend on some dumb shit.

From what I've seen, 90% of nerd culture is mandatory viewing of every single science-fiction, fantasy, and superhero tv show and movie. Some of my nerd friends seem to have a complete inability to say no to any genre entertainment on the screen. They have no choice but to watch all the Harry Potter movies, or the latest Marvel movie, or whatever science fiction shows are on Amazon Prime right now. The merchandise might involve some showing off of acquisitions, but its just an extension of the compulsive watching of nerd shows.

More
10 Jul 2018 16:12 #277256 by Michael Barnes
The artificial limiting is really a skeezy tactic...they will make as many of these as people will buy.

More
10 Jul 2018 16:13 #277257 by ChristopherMD

Shellhead wrote:

Legomancer wrote: At the end of the day, 90% of "geek culture" is a dick-measuring contest of who's the biggest fan, demonstrated by how much money they're willing to spend on some dumb shit.

From what I've seen, 90% of nerd culture is mandatory viewing of every single science-fiction, fantasy, and superhero tv show and movie. Some of my nerd friends seem to have a complete inability to say no to any genre entertainment on the screen. They have no choice but to watch all the Harry Potter movies, or the latest Marvel movie, or whatever science fiction shows are on Amazon Prime right now. The merchandise might involve some showing off of acquisitions, but its just an extension of the compulsive watching of nerd shows.

So you guys are saying that 90% of nerds are stupid small-dicked lemmings?

More
10 Jul 2018 16:15 #277259 by jeb

ChristopherMD wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Not, like, OUT LOUD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, san il defanso, boothwah, Colorcrayons

More
10 Jul 2018 16:25 #277260 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: The artificial limiting is really a skeezy tactic...they will make as many of these as people will buy.

It's Sales 101. You can totally mess with the interaction between supply and demand by lying about your supply.

More
10 Jul 2018 16:28 #277261 by ubarose

jeb wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Not, like, OUT LOUD.

Not out loud, because the only difference between the people buying the giant Cthulhu statue game and the rest of us is the amount of disposable income they have. If we had the money, we'd be spending it. Maybe not on Giant Cthulhu, but on other nerd crap - like the Batman game, or Lego Star Wars, or Warhammer stuff, or whatever. Except for Michael Barnes. He'd be blowing it on Mid-Century Modern American Girl furniture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb, ChristopherMD, san il defanso, Colorcrayons

More
10 Jul 2018 16:37 #277262 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: It was me. I am working with Elon Musk to purchase CMON’s stock of this stupid thing and destroy them for the good of mankind.

Joke's on you, THAT's how you actually summon Cthulhu.

I also saw that delivery on these later pledges is in 2020! Wow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
10 Jul 2018 18:52 #277265 by Frohike
Not that it really matters, since this constitutes where I hop off of the CMON train... probably indefinitely, but I foresee a fulfillment clusterfuck with the bigature and a lot of petulance about it (late shipping, bad shipping, high shipping, FOMO envy, OCD-triggering flaws and/or damage), assuming most people don't just park these in their closet & discover a few years later that no one really gives a shit about this "investment" enough to value it at whatever inflated price they believe the badly sculpted doll to be worth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons

More
10 Jul 2018 20:10 #277266 by Colorcrayons

ubarose wrote: Except for Michael Barnes. He'd be blowing it on Mid-Century Modern American Girl furniture.

Damn....
I gotta help Barnes out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb

More
10 Jul 2018 20:14 #277267 by Michael Barnes
IT IS FOR MY DAUGHTER!

I wonder how many divorces this stupid fucking statue is going to cause...this is like the board gaming equivalent of the leg lamp in A Christmas Story.

I mean, if you want a Cthulhu statue, I’m sure there are plenty out there that look at least more artful and interesting than this Lovecraftian Michelin Man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
10 Jul 2018 20:46 - 10 Jul 2018 20:46 #277268 by Michael Barnes
You know what I’m inspired. When the Milch und Gherkin Kickstarter launches, I will offer a three foot long “maxiture” of Das Obergrossgherkin. Crafted of the finest gray Chinese plastic, this exclusive backer goal is sure to be a white elephant gift for years to come.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2018 20:46 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Frohike

More
10 Jul 2018 20:50 #277269 by Michael Barnes
Seriously, if I brought this idiotic tchotchke into my house, my wife would punch me in the face and then put this thing in the recycling bin. And I would -thank- her for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
10 Jul 2018 21:01 - 10 Jul 2018 21:01 #277270 by Frohike
I'd honestly be more sold on it if the sculpt were better AND it actually functioned as scalable terrain. Think Shadow of the Colossus: The Board Game.

Instead, I'm pretty sure backers are just going to get a hunk of plastic to stare at in the middle of their table. Many of these things also won't be painted when people either figure out how much the paint will cost and how much work & skill it'll take to make it look decent, or will want to preserve its original pristine condition and leave it as a grey blob.

Lost opportunity.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2018 21:01 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds