October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Restoration Games

More
11 Jul 2018 10:29 - 11 Jul 2018 10:30 #277305 by Josh Look
Restoration Games was created by Josh Look
Creating a thread for these guys because what they’ve done so far is great and I think what they’ll be doing down the line is going to make a lot of us who don’t own some of those older mass market grail games very, very happy.

I just saw that they registered trademarks for Dark Tower, Epic Duels and Omega Virus a few month back. I own Epic Duels, but I’d love to see all three of these happen!

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/restoration-games-llc-3490145/
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 10:30 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2018 10:41 #277307 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Restoration Games
I dont get the fixation with Dark Tower. Especially nowadays when you get better gameplay from the worst of the I pad apps.

I'm sad to see nothing for Thunder Road. Thats game NEEDS to come back, especially with a small tweak to make it a better game.

Epic Duels and Omega Virus I can see being good ideas for reprint though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Jul 2018 10:41 #277308 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Restoration Games
There has been some chatter around them and Time Agent, of all things...

Epic Duels will probably not be SW for obvious reasons.

More
11 Jul 2018 11:53 #277321 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Restoration Games
Dark Tower’s gameplay does not hold up, but they also rework the rules to these games just enough for them to live up to what your memory thinks they were. I’d be interested to see what they do.

I guess there’s some kind of hang up with Thunder Road. I think they tried, maybe someone else beat them to the punch?

Epic Duels without Star Wars is still a really fun game. I have that Transformers version and if you play with the 2 character variant, it’s actually better than Star Wars. If only had it had the G1 designs and not the ugly Armada ones. Might be cool to see an Epic Duels game done with that same “Battle of All Time” thing that Heroscape did.

Now there’s a thought. Restoration Games doing Heroscape? It would almost have to be a KS, and I don’t care how many limited-but-not-limited bigatures there are, I’m throwing in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, engineer Al

More
11 Jul 2018 12:10 #277323 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Restoration Games
Apparently they're announcing their next game at Gen Con.

More
11 Jul 2018 12:19 #277326 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Restoration Games
I love these guys. If I had a bunch of money and nothing else to buy, I’d spend a lot with them.

More
11 Jul 2018 12:25 #277329 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Restoration Games

Josh Look wrote: Might be cool to see an Epic Duels game done with that same “Battle of All Time” thing that Heroscape did.

This is a compelling idea to me. Buncha cool junk thrown into an arena and duke it out.

More
11 Jul 2018 12:47 #277333 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Restoration Games
voice of the mummy or we riot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Frohike

More
11 Jul 2018 13:03 #277335 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Restoration Games
The first time I played Star Wars Epic Duels, I was obsessed with it. One of my players brought it to my biweekly L5R rpg campaign, just to show it off. One of our players ended up being a no-show, and while we were waiting on him, we played Epic Duels. And we couldn't stop playing. We played game after game, all afternoon. And I wasn't even enough of a Star Wars fan to bother seeing the prequel trilogy.

Several years later, I bought a used copy of Star Wars Epic Duels from someone at BGG, for somewhat more than the original retail price. I've played it a few times since then, but somehow it was never quite as fun as that first day. Not being to either move or fight at times due to bad die rolls and bad card draws can be maddening.

More
11 Jul 2018 15:27 - 11 Jul 2018 15:27 #277347 by Josh Look
I have a phrase I use to describe a certain type of game, and Epic Duels is the reason why I do. It’s the type of game you’ll accidentally end up playing all night. Back when I went to a LGS to play games, I had a handful of games that fit that bill, but Epic Duels was the first game to we found to have that effect. It’s small, quick, usually 2 player and somewhat unassuming, but the room would take note to how much fun we were having, gather round, and everyone would want in on the next play. These games were never taken along with the idea of being the main event, but they ended up being just that. They’re filler games, but I can still detect the exact elements required to be that kind of game.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 15:27 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
11 Jul 2018 16:16 #277350 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Restoration Games

Michael Barnes wrote: There has been some chatter around them and Time Agent, of all things...

I would jump on a new edition of Time Agent in a second. The extreme uglyness of the original is what keeps me from getting it. This is not "well, it's ugly like an 18XX" it's "I wish this crap had more colour so I could tell where the linse go". Well, that and getting it for a cheap price.

That said, Lehman has been presenting it to publishers and it might find an audience in this age of renewed interested in heavy games.

More
11 Jul 2018 16:43 #277354 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Restoration Games
Time Agent is great -- best time travel game there is. I would be interested in getting a version that is updated/streamlined. I don't know how much they could change with Omega Virus beyond just making it available -- and I don't see a lot of appeal in Dark Tower as a modern game, but I could be surprised. I would probably be interested in Epic Duels, but with both Star Wars and Transformers, would want to see something different.

@Josh -- what is the phrase? Inquiring minds want to know....

More
11 Jul 2018 17:57 - 11 Jul 2018 17:58 #277363 by Josh Look

Space Ghost wrote: @Josh -- what is the phrase? Inquiring minds want to know....

A game you accidentally play all night. I have no better way to describe it. Someone would put a game out as a filler and it would cause such a fuss that everyone would just want to take turns at it and would be completely content to watch when it wasn’t their turn to play. It’s the only thing I miss about playing in that environment.

Trying to jog my memory as to what other games it happened with. I know LOTR: The Confrontation had that effect. By no means a small game, but Space Hulk had that effect. I set up Suicide Mission one night and the whole shop gathered around to watch, knowing nothing about the game. We are all totally new to it. Everyone wanted a go as the Space Marines, and being as new to the game as we were, weeks went by without a SM win.

Finally there was one guy who was getting close, not even with the usual method for beating that mission, and I shit you not, it was like that moment in The King of Kong where the dude goes around the arcade telling everyone that there was about to be a killscreen. Someone started pulling everyone away from what they were doing to watch. Sure enough, that 16 year old kid torched that last room and the place fucking erupted.

Most magical experience I’ve ever had gaming.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2018 17:58 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, cdennett, Gregarius, DarthJoJo

More
11 Jul 2018 18:04 #277364 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Restoration Games
Back in '03, I was working at FFG when they hosted a great office X-mas party. Decent food, adult beverages, and lots of tables and chairs set up so people could play FFG games. But somebody started up a game of Werewolf with some simple cards, and that hijacked the event. There might have been four people there who weren't watching or playing Werewolf the whole time.

More
11 Jul 2018 18:15 #277366 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Restoration Games
We call that a Lionel Richie. As in “all night long”.

I think Dark Tower could be significantly updated and turn out OK. I think the brand is stronger than the game, and with apps replacing onboard electronics, there’s a lot of potential there to do something cool. Maybe something that is more of a “spiritual sequel” kind of thing than a reprint. Because the game is really kind of crap...the experience, atmosphere, and absurdity of it were what made it unique.

Epic Duels, TBH I never understood the fanaticism about. It’s fun, it’s easy, and OMG Mace Windu versus Darth Vader. But the gameplay was never particularly impressive or interesting to me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds