October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Discover: Lands Unknown (new FFG “unique” game)

More
13 Aug 2018 11:54 #279655 by Grudunza
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/...cover-lands-unknown/

Interesting. But if I understand the concept (I totally might not), it’s not really that novel. Let’s say you have a pool of 48 characters, 100 locations, 300 event cards, 200 item cards, etc. And each individual game box includes 8 characters, 20 locations, 50 events, 40 items. From that pool you can randomize thousands of copies with those components to get individual games that are not only unique from others, but have some decent variety and replayability within each copy.

So in other words, imagine they created all of the content for Arkham Horror (the board game) to begin with, then meted out random boxes, so every “base game” copy was now a little different. And anyone who has played AH enough knows that all of the main components more or less work with each other.

I’m not saying it’s as simple as that, but in essence, that seems to be the idea of how this is able to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2018 12:11 #279657 by jpat
FFG's design paradigm seems now to be to atomize its content and explode it out in a paper-and-plastic Big Bang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Erik Twice

More
13 Aug 2018 12:14 #279658 by BaronDonut
This is fascinating and perhaps a better use of the "unique" method than KeyForge's competitive model, where the inequities the game will produce seem like it will doom it from the start.

I think Discover's reception will tell us a lot about how and why we game--I have so many questions. Will multiple people in the same game group buy a copy of this game to compare / contrast? Will one person buy multiple copies to see what differences might exist? Will the game be strong enough for this sort of repetition to be desirable? Is the thrill of new discoveries more important than a tightly focused set of content?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Aug 2018 12:16 #279659 by charlest
I'm excited to try this, but I'm disappointed that it looks heavily influenced by 7th Continent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
13 Aug 2018 12:38 #279661 by hotseatgames
It doesn't seem like my kind of game, but I'm of course interested in how they are doing it. My real question will be just how different any of these boxes will feel, and does it create an island escape tale that can compete with something strongly curated, like Robinson Crusoe? Note that I have not played Robinson Crusoe but have seen it highly praised around here.

More
13 Aug 2018 13:58 - 13 Aug 2018 15:05 #279667 by Gary Sax

charlest wrote: I'm excited to try this, but I'm disappointed that it looks heavily influenced by 7th Continent.

Expand on that? I remember you cooled eventually on it. Is it just that it's copied from it and you were looking for something new?

I agree this is a better use of the "unique box" thing than the CCG/LCG format. Also, this thing that FFG is doing is going to drive the completionist BGGers fucking CRAZY. My wife loves these types of games and has even started referring to new experiences in real life as "flipping over an exploration tile" so I'm almost certain we're in for this.

Also: always intrigued by Corey designs and this sounds like an interesting one. I wonder if a good strategy here might be to trade boxes between players to get a newish experience? I also *love* the initial art design that isn't so militaristic, man vs. evil wild.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 15:05 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, sornars

More
13 Aug 2018 14:05 #279669 by Shellhead
Collectible board games? I would hate to try this game, like it, and then need to buy additional base sets to get more of the content for it. I'm normally able to resist completionist tendencies in my other collections, just focusing on the good stuff. But if this game is good, naturally I would want more of it.

More
13 Aug 2018 14:07 #279670 by charlest

Gary Sax wrote:

charlest wrote: I'm excited to try this, but I'm disappointed that it looks heavily influenced by 7th Continent.

Expand on that? I remember you cooled eventually on it. Is it just that it's copied from it and you were looking for something new?

Yeah, it bothers me that it appears copied. I'd prefer an original idea coupled to the unique game concept. They came up with a possibly excellent idea but chained to something that's rehashed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
13 Aug 2018 15:03 #279672 by the_jake_1973
I don't want to like this game as I am an expansion whore. This may hit the same part of my brain and doom my wallet. I am intrigued that I could have 5 copies of this game each offering a different experience. I hope that it is priced appropriately to encourage multiple buys. I would be much less likely to buy them if they are $40 each.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax

More
13 Aug 2018 15:04 - 13 Aug 2018 15:04 #279673 by Gary Sax
59.99, full box FFG release.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 15:04 by Gary Sax.

More
13 Aug 2018 15:39 - 13 Aug 2018 15:40 #279674 by the_jake_1973
That's a pass for me until it goes on sale somewhere.

Also. I can't believe I didn't scan an inch to the right to see the price. ugh.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 15:40 by the_jake_1973.

More
13 Aug 2018 15:40 #279675 by ChristopherMD
Discover: Lands Unknown
Stand-Alone Expansion*

*Base Game Not Required.

This sounds like they're selling stand-alone expansions from the get-go instead of a base game.

More
13 Aug 2018 17:12 #279677 by Gary Sax
Huh, didn't see that. Will be interested to see their sales model for this!

More
13 Aug 2018 17:48 - 13 Aug 2018 17:50 #279678 by Michael Barnes
Scene from an FFG upper management meeting-

“...so, the problem is, when one member of a group buys a board game, there is no real incentive for everyone else to buy it unless they are playing it with others outside the group, this undercutting more sales elsewhere. We need to figure out how to sell a board game to every member of a group.”

“Well, how about, like CCGs, we randomize the contents of every box...and create this half-truth promising a ‘unique experience’ with every purchase even though the gameplay is mostly the same despite the flavor text and maybe a couple of minor mechanics.Then the whole group wants their own copy that has different cards and so forth in it. Most gamers that are more excited about buying a new game than playing one anyway. Some of them go out and buy two, three, four copies of it to try to, as the kids say, catch ‘em all. We sell them the hope that they can have a copy of the game like no one else’s.”

“That is a brilliant idea, mysterious goat-headed intern that just showed up in the board room. Love that red suit, by the way.”

Talk about gimmicks...god forbid a solid design sells a game anymore.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2018 17:50 by Michael Barnes.

More
13 Aug 2018 18:06 #279680 by Shellhead
I bet Barnes is right on the money about this. There was a time when FFG game designers were focused on making the best games. As part of Asmodee, the new focus seems to be on efficiently draining consumer wallets. I'm sure they would also like to publish games that are enjoyable, but the primary consideration is converting products into cash.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds