October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Looking for Feedback: SEAL Team Flix

More
17 Aug 2018 18:42 #280009 by Frohike

repoman wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: Also, for something selling so well that has been so widely praised as really fun and really different, it's sad that only one F:ATtie has been playing it enough to opine.

Took me three days to assemble the boards you whiny bastard. Gimme some time.

Hah, seriously. It took me way more time to get those walls set up than I expected! Reading the manual tonight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2018 19:00 - 17 Aug 2018 19:01 #280010 by Gary Sax
On the plus side, we actually play the fucking games for the most part on F:AT so you won't just get comments about the bits when someone does play it.

Glad you guys have been successful enough so far that there might be an opportunity for an expansion!
Last edit: 17 Aug 2018 19:01 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
17 Aug 2018 21:38 #280013 by SuperflyPete
It’s a bad ass game!

More
18 Aug 2018 14:36 #280023 by Dr. Mabuse
I had a chance to play through two missions only, but I LOVED them!

No useful feedback yet, as this summer has been filled with rehearsals/performances/work/etc.Gaming on the whole has taken a back seat for the time being.

I totally dig what you and Mark have done so far and look forward to what else you have coming down the pike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames

More
18 Aug 2018 17:25 #280026 by repoman
First Impressions:

Played the intro scenario on baby mode with my wife. For the record, the wife isn't into conflict heavy board games but she does like X-Com the video game, which STF reminds me of a great deal, and likes co ops soooo...about 50% in her wheelhouse.

Production Bitches that aren't related to game play:

1)Pages of the rule book falling out.

2) Smaller bits of wall coming out of the board especially that micro corner bit on one of the maps. Gonna have to find some glue or something to hold these things in place.

3) The Sentry locations not being printed on the board. You guys address this in the FAQ and Errata thread on BGG but damn if it didn't have me thinking I was going insane. I ended up looking at the microscopic icons on the map pictured in the scenario booklet.

Ok, so with that lets talk about very prelim thoughts on game play.

I liked it. It was intro scenario, it was baby mode so victory was likely. We got the hard drive early, like turn 3 but decided to keep going to get a bit more out of it. We took what appeared to be so so choices but ended up being really horrible ones based on the movement of patrols. Which was educational and pretty much the point in playing it out. I can see how being foolish will result in quick death in more challenging scenarios.

The wife dubbed it "cute" which is sort of non committal. I thanked her for taking one for the team as I doubt it's something she'll ask to play again but might if I asked her.

I'm looking forward to getting a bit deeper into the game with a person or persons more in the target group.

Questions regarding rules that I didn't see in the FAQ:

1) What is considered terrain? It's a term, as far as I could tell, that is not defined. My MP-whatever has the effect of NOT destroying terrain and no stun. The stun, I'm guessing means that if I push a block into a standee that standee doesn't get stunned or killed as might be the case with other weapons. However the "not destroying terrain" is confusing. Is that referring to the cover block? But the rules clearly state that when a cover block is hit it is removed. If the block stays due to non destruction where do you move it to if it gets knocked out of position?
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
19 Aug 2018 00:45 - 19 Aug 2018 00:53 #280032 by SuperflyPete
Terrain is any blocks on the map...for now. I missed it in the “key stuff” but the long and short is that I don’t like rulebooks that didn’t plan ahead .... so there will be different terrain in the expansion.

If a normal block is struck by a weapon that can destroy it, it’s destroyed, always.

If any block hits a bad guy, that guy is affected by the weapon as stated on the card. Guy is unaffected, stunned, or killed depending on the gun.

If the block isn’t destroyed, put it back.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 00:53 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
19 Aug 2018 10:15 - 19 Aug 2018 17:56 #280036 by southernman
Just for curiosity have you had any feedback from people in the Forces (I know it's probably a bit early yet} ?

And on FATies not owning it, I am currently training my dexterity with my son's old marbles set but it's not looking good (basically team mates would need to stand behind me as well as do all the killing, I would be the mascot).
Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 17:56 by southernman.

More
19 Aug 2018 11:59 #280037 by SuperflyPete
The only guys who have been in the service and played this are my friends who played this (I can’t speak for Mark) and they all love it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
19 Aug 2018 13:24 #280038 by SuperflyPete
To all Flixers who want to avoid walls falling:

Brushing a liberal amount of Mod Podge onto the back of the boards, then wiping a bit makes the walls stay in FOREVER. Stops the “I removed a door and a wall came with it” issue.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Aug 2018 14:20 #280040 by Frohike
But before you do that... make a door fit check on each map. Some walls may need to be trimmed a tiny bit (like .5mm) to allow the door tokens to slide into place. It’s important for the doors to fit, since the combat shotgun allows you to flick a stack, sending the top disk over (“through”) the door token. Genius idea, btw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
20 Aug 2018 10:20 #280061 by SuperflyPete
So, we designed the game and most of the bits but the walls and door final design was out of our hands. I would have LOVED to get some dimensional drawings but we didn’t. So, the doors are tight AF.

I will be using a Dremel or router to enlarge the doors’ cavities so they flop around a little more.

More
21 Aug 2018 20:13 #280130 by repoman

SuperflyTNT wrote: To all Flixers who want to avoid walls falling:

Brushing a liberal amount of Mod Podge onto the back of the boards, then wiping a bit makes the walls stay in FOREVER. Stops the “I removed a door and a wall came with it” issue.

I would like you to prorate my game for the 8 bucks I had to spend for this goop and a brush.

I will not be charging you for the hour I spent wandering around in the local Hobby Lobby looking for the stuff. A 10 million square foot store without a single sign indicating what is in any given aisle.

Hobby Lobby sucks. Long live Michael's Craft Store.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Aug 2018 11:51 - 22 Aug 2018 12:01 #280144 by Gary Sax
Alright, I just ordered, so I'll let you know when I play it (solo probably).

re: mod podge, does gluing/fixing those walls in place compromise the ability to keep the components in the box?
Last edit: 22 Aug 2018 12:01 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Aug 2018 12:34 #280147 by hotseatgames
Not at all. The box is meant for walls being in place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Aug 2018 12:39 #280148 by Gary Sax
Thanks!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds