October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The Things: Infection at Outpost 31 vs. Who Goes There?

More
22 Sep 2018 19:41 #282126 by ModelVillain
I've been following reviews on the recent release of the "official" The Thing game, and was pretty close to pulling the trigger.

Then I happened across a copy of Who Goes There? at a FLGS, which as a surprise to me is another Thing game based on the novella, and not the film license. News to me, apparently this KS project has now shipped...

So despite decades of time passing since the release of the 80's remake, there's not one but two Thing games with some similar hidden-role mechanics based on the IP. If that weren't enough already, this boon delivers with each sporting camp-rich promo videos (including one cameo by America's favorite little bobbit Elijah Woods.)

We tend to host Halloween Horror Month for my group during October in these parts -- any info on WGT and/or comparisons to TT:IaO31 (!!) are welcome. If anyone has found a copy or waded through the typical KS bullshit to have singed onto this one at some level, and has received a copy I'm all ears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2018 10:26 - 23 Sep 2018 10:27 #282138 by hotseatgames
I have only played the official Thing game. It's basically Resistance expanded out into a full board game, and you have cooperative challenges to overcome, like putting out fires, killing the Thing, etc.

It's fun and connects well to the source material. One slight is that if you become the Thing, it behooves you to really play it cool, because if you are found out, you can be shut out of games if the player count is too high. It's thematic to act human, but less fun. One neat thing is that people who become infected will not know who the other infected people are.

From all I have seen about Who Goes There?, it's a bloated mess with nice production values.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2018 10:27 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ModelVillain

More
23 Sep 2018 13:22 #282142 by Josh Look
I’ve played both. Who Goes There is kind of a mess. Both games are a bit fragile when it comes to delivering the experience you’re looking for, but over a dozen or so plays of The Thing, we learned how to stabilize it. I felt like you had less ability to do that with Who Goes There and with it being as clunky as it is in some areas, I didn’t feel like putting in the work to put it to the test.

Infection At Outpost 31, on the other hand, is my favorite hidden traitor game to date.

More
23 Sep 2018 15:19 #282146 by drewcula
I won't necro thread my own inquiries into similar topics.
Instead, I'll just say...

There's still a PnP home-brew Thing card game out there. I've always threatened to print a copy via Artscow, but I can never pull the trigger.

I bought Dark Moon. It was okay. I liked the graphics, but not the illustrations. That difference really rubs me. I played it twice, and it wasn't really bowling people over. It's expansion seemed unnecessary, and I didn't buy it.
Ultimately, sold.

I bought Infection at Outpost 31. It too was okay. But I played with seven close friends on an old school poker table. We all adore the film, and we had the soundtrack playing in the background for the 2.5 romp. We had a blast. It's not a mechanically challenging game, and that may be for the best when heavily drinking and quoting from the film. I'm a horrible liar when drunk, and was deemed infected early on (I was). I still had fun.
Ultimately, kept. Will host again this winter.

One of my buddies that played Outpost was excited to receive his copy of Who Goes There? It arrived, he read through the materials, and threw it up on Craigslist. The rulebook was too finicky and clunky for his tastes, which he presumed would be felt be his other comrades.
Ultimately, sold.

More
25 Sep 2018 02:50 #282215 by ModelVillain
Thanks for the feedback and insight, it sounds like I'll be going ahead with my original plan and grabbing a copy of The Thing.

The consistency of the comments around WGT speaks volumes, I really should just trust my instincts when it comes to most KS projects :P

More
14 Nov 2018 17:00 #286172 by whittaker007
I'm a huge fan of the movie and hidden role games. I had fun with The Thing game, but it kinda felt like an overproduced version of Panic Station, which has the advantage of playing much faster. If I'm going to play a long hidden role game, I might stick to BSG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, stoic

More
22 Nov 2018 02:57 #286674 by Scott Rogers
I haven't played the official Thing game but I really enjoyed Who GoesTthere? If I decide to pick it up, I'm only getting the super-deluxe version with all of the characters and the minis. It's the only way to fly....

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds