October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Talisman, I don't play you but I cain't quit yew.

More
08 Feb 2009 04:06 #20487 by Dr. Mabuse
What AT games do you have, enjoyed, no longer play, but can't seem to part with.

For me it's Talisman and Heroquest. I am getting closer to parting with them but stupid nostalgic memories stop from throwing them up for sale or trade.

How about you?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2009 04:51 - 08 Feb 2009 04:56 #20488 by KingPut
For me its a game I bought about 20 year ago called Rise and Fall http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3403 . In the game you start as a Barbarian with lots of crappy units during the fall of the Roman Empire. After a few turns as Barbarian you turn into a Kingdom and then eventually you turn into a Empire with expensive Legions.

The game is total crap. It was created by a guy in his basement in the 1980s and its basically Risk in the Romans times with bad art work and components. I haven't played the game in over 15 years and I had a chance to trade it last year but I couldn't it brought back to many memories of hanging out with buddies 15 - 20 years ago drinking beer and playing Rise and Fall. There's even a big Natty Boh beer spill on my map.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Feb 2009 04:56 by KingPut.

More
08 Feb 2009 05:47 #20489 by sydo
Talisman and Battletech, my group doesn't seem interested in these gems :(

More
08 Feb 2009 06:13 #20490 by Bullwinkle
Here are most of the games I still have from my childhood but will almost certainly never play again:

Talisman + first two expansions
Gunslinger
Squad Leader + Crescendo of Doom + Cross of Iron
Up Front
Circus Maximus
Empires of the Middle Ages
Alexander the Great
Gladiator
Monsters of the Midway
All 1st ed. AD&D core hardcover books (including the rare Deities and Demigods with the Melnibonean and Newhon mythos gods)

I bet some of these would fetch a fair amount of money. They're worth far more to me as elements of nostalgia. I'm not giving them up.

More
08 Feb 2009 08:25 #20491 by hancock.tom
For me it is definitely

1. old RPG books (D&D, shadowrun, and Alternity have too many good memories)

2. L5R CCG (I sold magic, I sold Raw Deal, but this one is giving me problems)

3. Fluxx, chez geek, and other crappy filler games I played in during titan battles back in the day.

4. Heroquest and BattleMasters. Both my sets are pristine and would fetch me something pretty good.

Honestly, the few things I've tossed or traded that had nostalgia value I have seriously regretted. I'm to the point where I don't get rid of anything if it has good memories attached.

More
08 Feb 2009 09:17 #20492 by Aarontu
I still have Axis & Allies, all my Warhammer 40k stuff, D&D 2nd edition books, West End Star Wars RPG books (like 30 of them), Twilight Imperium 2nd edition, and History of the World. Haven't played any of them in a long time, but just can't bring myself to sell them (yet?).

More
08 Feb 2009 12:14 #20501 by hancock.tom
Forgot about 40K stuff- I have played like 2 games in the last 4 years but I'll never get rid of any of it.

More
08 Feb 2009 12:28 #20502 by Space Ghost
HeroQuest
Dragon Strike
Battle Masters

We played these games all the time growing up. They are all in great condition and I assume that I could sell them for quite a bit; however, I don't think I ever will -- too many memories.

More
08 Feb 2009 13:26 - 08 Feb 2009 13:29 #20503 by Dogmatix
For me, it's all my old RPG stuff. I'll never play again, but I can't quit 'em. There's a little part of my the figures that, if we ever breed, lil' Skipper's might have his/her imagination sparked just by pulling them off the shelf like I was...I played "solo" D&D for 4-5 years or so--not really by any real "rules" since I was maybe 9 years old, but enough to hunt out a group among my peers when I hit 13 or so.

Space Ghost wrote:

HeroQuest
Dragon Strike
Battle Masters

We played these games all the time growing up. They are all in great condition and I assume that I could sell them for quite a bit; however, I don't think I ever will -- too many memories.

Just for those talking about sale prices--ebay-wise, HQ is an easy $50 for the unexpanded base game and the most desired of the lot; the other 2, not so much. Battle Masters is $20-40 depending on phase of the moon (not even condition as unpunched sets can go for $20 while very-played sets hit $35+; just depends on how many want it--it's also a huge pain in the ass to ship); and Dragon Strike about half that at best (it's worth more to scavenge the parts out of it for other games like Runebound or Prophecy or some such).

(Yea, I'm one of those "look what I thrifted! geeklist tools, but those thrift pickups financed $5k in new [good--at least to me] games and another $3-4k in home repairs. :)]
Last edit: 08 Feb 2009 13:29 by Dogmatix.

More
08 Feb 2009 13:57 #20504 by Shellhead
hancock.tom wrote:

Honestly, the few things I've tossed or traded that had nostalgia value I have seriously regretted. I'm to the point where I don't get rid of anything if it has good memories attached.

I'm struggling to avoid admitting this. I still have too much stuff, but I tell myself that I will only get rid of something when I can find a good home for it, somebody who will appreciate it more than I do now.

My AT stuff that I don't play anymore:

*Car Wars

*several CCGs, including L5R, Rage and Mythos

*Squad Leader

*Snapshot and Azhanti High Lightning.

*Viking Gods

*Undead

*The Vesuvius Incident -- this one is tough because the game is actually OOP and in-demand. But it also has a fantastic map and some innovative rules, and works great as either a solitaire game or a co-op game. Unfortunately the rules are so innovative that they are difficult to remember, and the rule book is very poorly organized. So Vesuvius continues to gather dust.

More
08 Feb 2009 14:02 #20505 by ubarose
Rocky and Bullwinkle Game

I'm really happy we held on to many of our favorites from when we were younger. When we first moved in together, we almost got rid of some stuff, but we were too lazy and just stuck it all into the attic. Now, every year as our daughter gets older, we bring down the ones she has "grown into." However, the Rocky and Bullwinkle game really requires that you are familiar with the show, so that one will probably live in the attic forever.

More
08 Feb 2009 14:05 - 08 Feb 2009 14:44 #20506 by southernman
I think it's probably Kingmaker. I doubt I'll get enough people to play a decent game of it, but I can't ditch it because it must be one of the most themey games around - grabbing nobles to your faction, getting troops and titles/offices for your nobles, trapsing around England trying to grab all the heirs to the throne (executing any that outrank the one you have with your biggest army), holding your breathe for the random disasters to kick your ass (as they did back in the 15th century) or your best noble being sent to the other end of the country to quell some uprising - but with rules a bit too 'old school' that the game could die with players turtling in certain locations or just getting drawn out through added complexity (Parliament etc..).
Every now and then I think about making a few changes so it would be a bit more 'sellable' to gamers in my groups, but the current killer (so many games to play these days) jumps in and I grab a another game that I love or that also hasn't hit the table for awhile. People say Warrior Knights is an improved and shorter version, but I think they are two very different games and I actually prefer the winning conditions in KM. It also plays up to seven, allows a player to come back after losing all their nobles (your faction just starts recruiting again), as mentioned random events, and lots of stomping around with armies lookiing for fights.
I've probably missed a lot as it's so bloody long since I played it.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2009 14:44 by southernman.

More
08 Feb 2009 14:06 #20507 by Aarontu
I forgot to mention all my Star Wars CCG cards (including a full set of the premiere cards). I just don't sell them for some reason.

I also have some Sim City the card game cards I bought back in the mid 90's, but I don't keep it for nostalgia's sake; I just can't seem to get around to selling anything.

I don't really like Return of the Heroes either, but I still keep it for some reason.

More
08 Feb 2009 14:41 #20509 by sydo
I forgot about WH40k too, I have one big chaos army in my closet. And if RPG's and CCG's count, I have huge amount of Jyhad cards and Masquerade books. I doubt I will ever play it again.

More
08 Feb 2009 14:46 #20510 by hancock.tom
How many of these nostalgia-related-untradeables are games we would rather be playing if we had the time/opponents/etc, and how many are actually things we'll never play again but still keep?

A lot of CCGs and RPGs I would still love to play if I had the time and opponents. Totally different from say, Battlemasters and Heroquest, which aren't that great and will never see play again but I keep for the memories.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds