October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Rayguns and Rocketships

More
25 Nov 2018 20:50 #286810 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Rayguns and Rocketships
Whoa, so I went on BGG to look at reviews of the game and I made it approximately 2 min and 30 seconds into "Edo"'s review before I had to turn it off lest I destroy my computer screen. Anybody that uses the adjective "dripping" in a review needs a few licks of the lash.

Anyway, he also uses the adjective "plodding", "not an entry point", and "hard" or some other lily livered descriptor.

So, Scott, what is a legit play time for this game. Is 90 min accurate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Scott Rogers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2018 20:58 #286812 by Scott Rogers

repoman wrote: Whoa, so I went on BGG to look at reviews of the game and I made it approximately 2 min and 30 seconds into "Edo"'s review before I had to turn it off lest I destroy my computer screen. Anybody that uses the adjective "dripping" in a review needs a few licks of the lash.

Anyway, he also uses the adjective "plodding", "not an entry point", and "hard" or some other lily livered descriptor.

Ha. I'm honestly surprised Edo did a review. It is SO not his kind of game. However, full disclosure, he is a friend, so I think he did it as a solid for me.

The game almost always takes about 90 minutes to play. Hit me up if you have any questions about it.

More
26 Nov 2018 09:07 #286831 by SuperflyPete
It took us just shy of exactly two hours with three, Jeff, for our first time playing, including a rules read. I can remember that with such specificity because of the unique circumstances of that day. I had to talk to my man Chris anyhow since turkey day, so I asked him about it. He reminded me that he felt kind of shorted because he got the game plus the mercenaries (I had forgotten those..they're like little ringers you can recruit for your faction) for a bunch and it turns out that the game has very little replay ability because of the lack of factions. There's four. He ended up playing it with each faction and selling it on eBay....he liked it but it wasn't mind blowing.

I would have liked to play it again as I like the concept, despite not liking programmed move games that much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Rogers

More
26 Nov 2018 09:23 - 26 Nov 2018 15:26 #286834 by Scott Rogers

SuperflyTNT wrote: He reminded me that he felt kind of shorted because he got the game plus the mercenaries (I had forgotten those..they're like little ringers you can recruit for your faction) for a bunch and it turns out that the game has very little replay ability because of the lack of factions. There's four. He ended up playing it with each faction and selling it on eBay....he liked it but it wasn't mind blowing.

Not to quibble, but each faction plays very differently from each other and the Captain's ability cards have two different builds. There is also a campaign book with 10 different ways to play the game besides the basic set up. Without the mercenaries and objectives from the KS edition, you can play at least 18 times before you have a repeat. Granted, that's not WH40 or BaHotH numbers, but I still think that's respectable.

SuperflyTNT wrote: It would have liked to play it again as I like the concept, despite not liking programmed move games that much.

I'll take it as a compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Last edit: 26 Nov 2018 15:26 by Scott Rogers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
26 Nov 2018 14:00 - 26 Nov 2018 14:02 #286873 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Rayguns and Rocketships

repoman wrote: Whoa, so I went on BGG to look at reviews of the game and I made it approximately 2 min and 30 seconds into "Edo"'s review before I had to turn it off lest I destroy my computer screen. Anybody that uses the adjective "dripping" in a review needs a few licks of the lash.

Yeah, the reviews for R&R have been f*ing useless. There just aren't any reviews out there by people whose opinion I trust on this style of game and who seem like they played it more than once.

I got a 2 minute run down on it from a rando at a game con that was more helpful than any of the reviews I had seen.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2018 14:02 by ubarose.

More
26 Nov 2018 16:02 #286894 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Rayguns and Rocketships
I dropped a email to my new contact at IDW, we'll see if I can get a review copy and write up something that hopefully qualifies as a proper review.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Scott Rogers

More
28 Nov 2018 14:30 #287034 by repoman
Game came in the mail today.

Ain't no denying those minis, especially the space ships, are grade A. "Totally dope!" as the kids would say.

Despite that video reviewer proclaiming the game to be "hard" (wahhhh f-ing wahhh) it's only 12 pages of rules in really big type. It isn't hard unless there is some deep subtlety I'm missing.

But there is no player aid listing uses for action points or what the stations on the ship do? Really?

Hopefully will get to play it this weekend with the True Believers.
Attachments:

More
01 Dec 2018 15:16 #287218 by repoman
So I'm going through the rules a bit more closely so I can type up my own player aid...

Am I correct in thinking that a crew member must man either the Control Panel or the Cockpit for the player to be able to play their Star Cards during the "programing" stage of their turn? If these stations become unmanned during a phase prior to the revealing of a Star Card, does the card effect still happen or is it cancelled?

What is the purpose of the "open all airlocks at once" ability of the Control Panel Station? Does this mean that if the Control Panel is manned, crew members at airlock spaces need not spend the Action Token to exit the ship?

More
01 Dec 2018 15:33 #287219 by Scott Rogers

repoman wrote: Am I correct in thinking that a crew member must man either the Control Panel or the Cockpit for the player to be able to play their Star Cards during the "programing" stage of their turn? If these stations become unmanned during a phase prior to the revealing of a Star Card, does the card effect still happen or is it cancelled

If a programmed star card is revealed and the REQ: is not met (IE a crew member isn't on the control panel, then the effect does not happen.

repoman wrote: What is the purpose of the "open all airlocks at once" ability of the Control Panel Station? Does this mean that if the Control Panel is manned, crew members at airlock spaces need not spend the Action Token to exit the ship?

It's an inexpensive way to get several crew member into space. It save you up to three action tokens to use the control panel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
01 Dec 2018 16:33 #287222 by repoman

Scott Rogers wrote:

repoman wrote: What is the purpose of the "open all airlocks at once" ability of the Control Panel Station? Does this mean that if the Control Panel is manned, crew members at airlock spaces need not spend the Action Token to exit the ship?

It's an inexpensive way to get several crew member into space. It save you up to three action tokens to use the control panel.

So then does use of the Control Panel and the Cockpit require the spending of an Action Token?

Almost missed the rule of blocking ranged attacks with action tokens. Should be listed in section detailing uses of action tokens as well as the combat section.

More
02 Dec 2018 09:29 #287245 by repoman
We got in a game of this last night. Man that rule book blows. If you put out another game Scott, you really must work on that. We had all the same questions that are represented on the FAQ document on BGG and then some. And there are quite a lot. Also, the scenario we played, the second episode, seems to suffer from the same sort of problems such as unclear win conditions and ambiguous situations such as what happens to the data tape if a ship carrying it is destroyed.

The claims of video review guy that the game is hard and "plodding" are completely off base. This game, outside of poor communication of the rules, is pretty simple and plays fast. At least it did with us but we are not a group generally prone to AP especially in light hearted games. Also it's fairly simple although there were many side cases that came to light and caused us some frustration.

It does look fabulous. The art is great. Al, designer of Space Cadets: Away Missions was very jealous.

We are certainly going to play it again.

More
02 Dec 2018 11:00 #287252 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Rayguns and Rocketships
What scale are these minis in? Are they roughly 28mm?

More
02 Dec 2018 12:28 - 02 Dec 2018 12:57 #287257 by Scott Rogers

repoman wrote: We got in a game of this last night. Man that rule book blows. If you put out another game Scott, you really must work on that. We had all the same questions that are represented on the FAQ document on BGG and then some. And there are quite a lot. Also, the scenario we played, the second episode, seems to suffer from the same sort of problems such as unclear win conditions and ambiguous situations such as what happens to the data tape if a ship carrying it is destroyed..

Sadly, I did not get final approval of the rule book and was disappointed when I finally read it. I've been working on a revised edition.

repoman wrote: The claims of video review guy that the game is hard and "plodding" are completely off base. This game, outside of poor communication of the rules, is pretty simple and plays fast. At least it did with us but we are not a group generally prone to AP especially in light hearted games. Also it's fairly simple although there were many side cases that came to light and caused us some frustration..

Glad to hear that it went fast. That generally tends to be the case. Once players "get it" they get it.

repoman wrote: It does look fabulous. The art is great. Al, designer of Space Cadets: Away Missions was very jealous.

We are certainly going to play it again.

Glad to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2018 12:57 by Scott Rogers.

More
02 Dec 2018 12:41 #287258 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Rayguns and Rocketships

Scott Rogers wrote:

repoman wrote: We got in a game of this last night. Man that rule book blows. If you put out another game Scott, you really must work on that. We had all the same questions that are represented on the FAQ document on BGG and then some. And there are quite a lot. Also, the scenario we played, the second episode, seems to suffer from the same sort of problems such as unclear win conditions and ambiguous situations such as what happens to the data tape if a ship carrying it is destroyed..

Sadly, I did not get final approval of the rule book and was disappointed when I finally read it.

That's what I thought. It reads like rules handed over to a publisher unfamiliar with the ins and outs of a mini game who hacked it up for length and to conform to a layout. I think there is even a remnant of what appears to be half a sentence cut off to make column lengths layout pretty, and ambiguities that seem to be the result of a previous sentence or clause being cut. Sorry, they butchered your rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, Vysetron, Scott Rogers

More
02 Dec 2018 12:56 #287260 by Scott Rogers

ubarose wrote: Sorry, they butchered your rules.

Me too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds