October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Looking for recommendations

More
12 Dec 2018 09:24 #287979 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Looking for recommendations
One Night Ultimate Werewolf, if your group likes that sort of thing. People can come and go, and you play 5-minute games of that all evening.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katchoo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2018 09:24 #287980 by charlest
Cyclades was the first thing that came to mind, seconding that recommendation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, Katchoo

More
12 Dec 2018 09:32 #287982 by BaronDonut

Katchoo wrote: Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game (very interested in this but I've heard it's HARD and not recommended for 5 players)

I absolutely love this game, but I think it will not be any fun at all with five people. Two or three is probably best.

More
12 Dec 2018 09:36 #287983 by the_jake_1973
Spartacus was the first game that came to mind withthe player count. I know it was recommended up thread, but I wanted to put another vote its way.

Cyclades also deserves a look. I have enjoyed that game each time I've played.

More
12 Dec 2018 10:35 - 12 Dec 2018 10:38 #287988 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Looking for recommendations
Games like Fury of Dracula but shorter and fewer rules

Scotland Yard - It's a classic.

Last Friday - It's a lighter, faster playing Fury of Dracula. You play in chapters, so you can play one chapter, record your positions and statuses/stuff at the end of chapter, and then play the next chapter some other time.

Games Like Dominion

Any of the Legendary Games - If they like Dominion, but want something a little more thematic, they probably will like the Legendary Games. Which one just depends on your IP preference. Marvel Heroes has the fewest rules, and the most expansions. Aliens is the hardest, both more rules and more challenging to win.

NightFall - Another deck builder. Faster, less fiddly, and more competitive than the Legendary games. Also only about $20 on Amazon.

Games like Waterdeep

Raiders of the North Sea - Worker placement with a Viking theme

Games sort of like like Betrayal Legacy

Camp Grizzly - No traitor. Just try to get out a alive.

The Captain is Dead is fun and a little silly, but I can't remember much about it. We were at a Conn and it was super late at night.
Wasteland Express is probably to long and too fiddly for them.
Not Alone is okay. It's a bit thinky if they are into that.

Random Suggestions worth checking out based on what I can gather about your group's likes and dislikes:

Escape from 100 Million BC - Coop adventure game. Fight dinosaurs. I think it's really fun. Only $26 on Amazon

Ethnos - Ticket to Ride area control with a fantasy theme.

Cosmic Encounter
Last edit: 12 Dec 2018 10:38 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, stoic, Katchoo

More
12 Dec 2018 13:22 #288011 by Katchoo
Replied by Katchoo on topic Looking for recommendations

san il defanso wrote: Fair warning, Wiz-War is getting hard to find since FFG isn't reprinting it. It is a great game though. Definitely try it out if you get the chance.

Ah yeah I've just noticed it's not available here. Thanks for the heads up.

RobertB wrote: One Night Ultimate Werewolf, if your group likes that sort of thing. People can come and go, and you play 5-minute games of that all evening.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

charlest wrote: Cyclades was the first thing that came to mind, seconding that recommendation.

Checking it out :) Thank you.

BaronDonut wrote:

Katchoo wrote: Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game (very interested in this but I've heard it's HARD and not recommended for 5 players)

I absolutely love this game, but I think it will not be any fun at all with five people. Two or three is probably best.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. I might actually buy this anyway so we can play it together... only I'm not a big deck building fan. Hurm.

the_jake_1973 wrote: Spartacus was the first game that came to mind withthe player count. I know it was recommended up thread, but I wanted to put another vote its way.

Cyclades also deserves a look. I have enjoyed that game each time I've played.

Thanks!

ubarose wrote: Games like Fury of Dracula but shorter and fewer rules

Scotland Yard - It's a classic.

Last Friday - It's a lighter, faster playing Fury of Dracula. You play in chapters, so you can play one chapter, record your positions and statuses/stuff at the end of chapter, and then play the next chapter some other time.

Games Like Dominion

Any of the Legendary Games - If they like Dominion, but want something a little more thematic, they probably will like the Legendary Games. Which one just depends on your IP preference. Marvel Heroes has the fewest rules, and the most expansions. Aliens is the hardest, both more rules and more challenging to win.

NightFall - Another deck builder. Faster, less fiddly, and more competitive than the Legendary games. Also only about $20 on Amazon.

Games like Waterdeep

Raiders of the North Sea - Worker placement with a Viking theme

Games sort of like like Betrayal Legacy

Camp Grizzly - No traitor. Just try to get out a alive.

The Captain is Dead is fun and a little silly, but I can't remember much about it. We were at a Conn and it was super late at night.
Wasteland Express is probably to long and too fiddly for them.
Not Alone is okay. It's a bit thinky if they are into that.

Random Suggestions worth checking out based on what I can gather about your group's likes and dislikes:

Escape from 100 Million BC - Coop adventure game. Fight dinosaurs. I think it's really fun. Only $26 on Amazon

Ethnos - Ticket to Ride area control with a fantasy theme.

Cosmic Encounter

Wow, mega detailed post. I was most drawn to Camp Grizzly but can't find it here.

I actually have Raiders of the North Sea on my own wishlist. Hoping someone will buy it for me for xmas :)

Nightfall also looks interesting but again can't find it here. Will check out the others. Thank you so so much for such a thoughtful reply!

Does anyone know if a Battlestar Galactica-lite game exists?

More
12 Dec 2018 13:41 #288014 by hotseatgames
Dead of Winter shares a bit in common with BSG. I'm not recommending it, just saying it has a hidden traitor. Dark Moon is supposed to be like that but I have never played it.

I know you already have a ton to check out, but it occurred to me that you also might want to look at Room 25. It even has hidden traitors, if you want them.

More
12 Dec 2018 14:04 #288018 by Shellhead
Camp Grizzly is an outstanding co-op game for five players (or really any player count from 1 to 6), and one of the best in my collection. The worst thing that I can say about Camp Grizzly is that it was apparently a marginally profitable kickstarter, so it took them years to fulfill the stretch goals and there will probably never be another printing of the base game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Katchoo

More
12 Dec 2018 14:14 #288019 by Katchoo

hotseatgames wrote: Dead of Winter shares a bit in common with BSG. I'm not recommending it, just saying it has a hidden traitor. Dark Moon is supposed to be like that but I have never played it.

I know you already have a ton to check out, but it occurred to me that you also might want to look at Room 25. It even has hidden traitors, if you want them.

Well that's cool cos I've already bought him DoW. Maybe I need to move away from the whole co-op/traitor thing for now. Room 25 sounds really great. Will watch a video or two and see what I think. Thanks!

Shellhead wrote: Camp Grizzly is an outstanding co-op game for five players (or really any player count from 1 to 6), and one of the best in my collection. The worst thing that I can say about Camp Grizzly is that it was apparently a marginally profitable kickstarter, so it took them years to fulfill the stretch goals and there will probably never be another printing of the base game.

Gutted to hear that cos I can't find it in the UK or even anywhere in Europe. Shame.

More
12 Dec 2018 15:49 #288030 by the_jake_1973
You can purchase it from their website I think. Not sure what the shipping would be. I think the game is worth getting.

More
13 Dec 2018 16:26 #288089 by Katchoo
Just thought I'd post to say I have bought Dark Moon.

I ruled out some suggestions here because, while they looked like awesome games, I think they might be too heavy. Also, some were slightly on the long side. I've still got my eye on Cyclades (how 'fighty' is it?) though again I think it might be just slightly too heavy; and also on Camp Grizzly - probably would have went for this if I didn't have to import it; and finally Room 25 which looks like a fun, lighter, shorter game.

Oh, also I bought Dead of Winter, which might be a mistake as its weight rating is a bit higher than what I was aiming for but gotta take those chances. If it works out well then it'll open things up to me buying sightly heavier games.

But thank you so much for all the help here. I welcome any more recommendations as I'm never done buying games lol. Once again - THANKS!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
13 Dec 2018 16:37 - 13 Dec 2018 16:53 #288090 by southernman
Games in my collection for 'up to two hours'

Lighter
DC Comics Deck Building Game
Elder Sign
Robo Rally

Good Fun
Spartacus
Sons of Anarchy with an expansion to get to five players
Dungeons & Dragons series (i.e Castle Ravenloft, Legend of Drizzt)
Cosmic Encounter
Lord of the Rings (oldie but a goodie)

Hidden Traitor/Role
Dead of Winter
Homeland

One vs The Rest DM type
Descent 2nd Edition
Imperial Assault
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past
Last edit: 13 Dec 2018 16:53 by southernman.

More
13 Dec 2018 16:42 #288091 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Looking for recommendations
Goofy

Cutthroat Caverns

More
13 Dec 2018 16:53 - 13 Dec 2018 18:31 #288092 by WadeMonnig
Cyclades, In it's base form, is sort of "fighty" but not near as much as initial impressions would suggest. I've actually played a game where the winner never actually engaged in a battle the entire game. It's definitely a key part of the game but it's just one item at your disposal.

Kemet
, on the other hand, is all fighty, all the time.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2018 18:31 by WadeMonnig. Reason: add info

More
13 Dec 2018 18:03 #288096 by Shellhead

Katchoo wrote: Room 25 which looks like a fun, lighter, shorter game.

I have Room 25, and it is good game. I have only played in solitaire and co-op mode so far, and found the game difficult to beat. I look forward to playing in competitive/traitor mode, which is probably the best way to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Katchoo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds