October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

More
13 Jan 2019 13:49 #289894 by southernman

DarthJoJo wrote:

themothman421 wrote: Also, from that press release:

Pre-order through our website today to receive these exclusive deluxe Player Mats with your order!

Does FFG normally do this? Are they taking a page from KS and getting into the preorder 'sclusives? When can I expect some metal coins and an oversized first player figurine?

I think this may be an Asmodee dictat. Plaid Hat has done this too for some of its recent releases like Starship Samurai.

I think this is just a way for game companies to sell through their shops or brick & mortar stores, GF9 did similar with Spartacus promo cards and the ST:Ascendancy game. A cheap, and fun, way to create a bit of a buzz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 14:03 #289896 by southernman

themothman421 wrote: I've been wholly unimpressed with every "app-augmented" game I've tried (Mansions of Madness, XCOM, Alchemists, to name a few). I'd love for a game to surprise me and change my mind, but I'm not going to pin such hopes on this game.

Well then perhaps those types of games are just not for you, no problem there as there's plenty of different games for all types of people.
Personally after playing the Descent and Imperial Assault apps I can say they provide a great bit of theme and hidden story as well as managing some of the book-keeping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
13 Jan 2019 14:46 - 13 Jan 2019 14:47 #289898 by southernman

Michael Barnes wrote: I don't think it's fair to say Kill Team is something completely different but this is rehashed. That sounds laughable honestly unless you're incapable of reading between the lines on the press release

I didn’t say completely different. I said I t’s a new format. New way of playing 40k, new way of collecting it, new way of buying it. Shadow War was sort of a beta for it, but it also didn’t have new products specifically for it like KT does.

Seriously Mike, if you think that differentiates a new (original ?) product but FFG isn't bringing out something new for (for the LotR universe) with this then you probably just need to be a fulltime GW writer/reviewer and leave FFG stuff to all the other writers. We know you don't respect them or Christensen but it is getting a bit tiring reading you slagging FFG any chance you get (i.e BSG Starship Battles against the sad, bloated X-Wing).
They're a good company that makes good and great games as well as some average ones - nothing more to it.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 14:47 by southernman.

More
13 Jan 2019 15:01 #289900 by Michael Barnes
Like when I put Keyforge on my best of list this year and Fallout last year? I always give them credit when credit is due.

Know what I’m playing today? Runebound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
13 Jan 2019 16:00 - 13 Jan 2019 18:13 #289901 by Josh Look
Edit: Not continuing this, it and personal attacks are dumb.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 18:13 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
13 Jan 2019 18:07 #289912 by Michael Barnes
3rd. I have it all. I -really- like it. I especially like how simple it is but with a big scope. And I love the pogs. Too bad FFG seems to be cutting it loose because it is actually quite unique on the market.

I love how divisive the Knizia LOTR is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
13 Jan 2019 18:14 #289913 by Josh Look

Michael Barnes wrote: 3rd. I have it all. I -really- like it. I especially like how simple it is but with a big scope. And I love the pogs. Too bad FFG seems to be cutting it loose because it is actually quite unique on the market.

We should take this Runebound 3 talk elsewhere. It’s a terrific game.

More
13 Jan 2019 19:25 #289918 by Gary Sax
In fact, if you want... therewillbe.games/forum/10-ameritrash/19...re-s-the-love#241928

Or you're always welcome to make a new thread if that one is too dusty for you. I thread revive specific game topics like a motherfucker so everybody's thoughts are in the same place but that's not to everyone's taste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, lj1983

More
13 Jan 2019 19:45 #289921 by trif
All this talk just makes me want to blow the dust off Middle Earth Quest
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, southernman, cdennett

More
13 Jan 2019 20:42 #289927 by Sevej
The game looks *ugly*. I wish they're using some original character instead of the well-established ones. But conceptually, I'm interested.

Waiting for that AR Talisman. Stop in a space, use your phone on the space you character's landing on to see what happens!

More
13 Jan 2019 23:53 #289936 by themothman421

southernman wrote: Well then perhaps those types of games are just not for you, no problem there as there's plenty of different games for all types of people.
Personally after playing the Descent and Imperial Assault apps I can say they provide a great bit of theme and hidden story as well as managing some of the book-keeping.

Well if we are widening the scope to games with book-keeping apps, then let me tell you about the greatest app-powered game EVER: Fantasy Realms. The app for that game makes scoring sooo much easier, and talk about theme, - this thing comes with a fuckin awesome soundtrack to bump while you play.

I totally believe there will be a game that marries technology and cardboard in a really cool way, I just haven't seen it yet. If this turns out to be another "do a thing, then tell the computer what thing you did and read this paragraph" a la Mansions of Madness, then I'm out. But in the spirit of new years and new beginnings, I will upgrade my attitude on this game from "cautious" to "hopeful."

More
14 Jan 2019 08:21 #289942 by Vysetron

themothman421 wrote: I totally believe there will be a game that marries technology and cardboard in a really cool way, I just haven't seen it yet. If this turns out to be another "do a thing, then tell the computer what thing you did and read this paragraph" a la Mansions of Madness, then I'm out. But in the spirit of new years and new beginnings, I will upgrade my attitude on this game from "cautious" to "hopeful."

Some of the stuff I've heard about Chronicles of Crime sounds pretty neat. People have told me it's been smooth. Haven't played it myself. Might be worth checking out if you want to see app integration done well.

More
14 Jan 2019 08:55 #289945 by southernman

trif wrote: All this talk just makes me want to blow the dust off Middle Earth Quest

Maybe this could be the expansion it deserved but never got ;-)
MEQ had that great card mechanic (which FFG used parts of in other games) and it looks like a bit of that has flowed into here.

Unfortunately I think the cost of it will knock me out as I have other LotR games and other FFG app-assisted games (Descent and Imperial Assault) that will do a lot of what this is while I have other games that need a lot of table-time plus a couple of big (tens of hours of campaigns) fantasy kickstarters arriving at the end of the year - I just wouldn't get enough play out of it to warrant anywhere near that price.

Still looks good though - and miracles might happen and someone in my town that I know might buy a boardgame of the genre I like (or Mr Barnes may be closer to the truth than me and it will be meh or just plain suck in which case I would have saved myself a bundle).

More
14 Jan 2019 08:58 #289946 by southernman

Michael Barnes wrote: 3rd. I have it all. I -really- like it. I especially like how simple it is but with a big scope. And I love the pogs. Too bad FFG seems to be cutting it loose because it is actually quite unique on the market.

Maybe you do have a bit of FFG-love left in you ;-)
I did Descent 2E (Road to Legend app) and Runebound 2E in the weekend with everyone having a blast.

More
14 Jan 2019 09:26 #289952 by Josh Look
I wish MEQ was the game they were going back to and cleaning up and setting in Star Wars, galactic scale. MEQ was so close to being a good, possibly great game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.561 seconds