October 09, 2023
2217 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Gorec Hosen - now with more grimdark™

More
15 Feb 2019 20:34 #292412 by Colorcrayons
Gorechosen is back. But with a 40k retheme.

Will they miss this opportunity again to sell dozens of hero figs?

The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2019 20:56 #292413 by hotseatgames
Sign me up.

More
16 Feb 2019 12:14 #292429 by SaMoKo
Why is there no Ork? Game ruined.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
16 Feb 2019 12:41 #292431 by Michael Barnes
They wouldn’t be there. It’s all Imperial/Inquisition sort of folks since has to do with Black Fortress.

And hey- Speed Freeks is awesome.

More
16 Feb 2019 15:08 #292441 by Space Ghost
I like Speed Freeks enough I bought the other cars for it -- pretty ridiculous (in a good way) game. The models are superb.

More
16 Feb 2019 17:38 #292448 by Colorcrayons
www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/15/1...rgw-homepage-post-3/

So it seems according to this article, the rethemed Gorechosen, the rethemed LotR game, and the simplified Shadespire game are going to be limited release like we saw with Blitz Bowl at Barnes and Noble.

All three are pretty interesting titles. The rethemed LotR game "stormvault" is notable because it was already a B&N exclusive. I applaud the retheme though. The game is pretty solid and fun, but the fellowship of the ring theme made just about zero sense.

Despite having my own massively rethemed version of Gorechosen already, I'm pretty interested in all three titles.

More
16 Feb 2019 18:53 #292449 by Gary Sax
Gorechosen with guns sounds... kind of dumb?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
18 Feb 2019 12:16 #292530 by Colorcrayons

Gary Sax wrote: Gorechosen with guns sounds... kind of dumb?

I would bet they are handling ranged weapons using the example of Fexgor. Basically just an expanded range from what little I can see from the cards.

I wouldn't worry about it. It works fine. Some of the robotic Kaiju in my retheme had to use an expanded range to justify ranged weapons. I haven't had any complaints yet from those that played it.

More
18 Feb 2019 12:24 #292533 by Vysetron
This looks awesome! I liked a lot of things about Gorechosen in concept (haven't played) but I much prefer 40K to fantasy. Gonna give it a shot when it drops.

More
18 Feb 2019 18:45 #292573 by SaMoKo

Gary Sax wrote: Gorechosen with guns sounds... kind of dumb?

Sort of what I was thinking, especially with the all-Imperium cast. Marines like to brawl, but I would have been more optimistic if the focus was on Chaos, Ork, Tyranid, and Eldar for a more shank happy approach. But given the GW approach to all heroes, Imperium or not, swords, pistols and power fists will be heavily featured. We will see how ranged combat plays into the system I guess.

I almost wonder how well the system could be implemented for battleship fights.

More
19 Feb 2019 08:59 #292589 by Colorcrayons
That brings me back to my point in the OP.

It's likely another missed opportunity since this takes place on a black fortress.

I'm more concerned by the lack of orks, tyranids, etc. This is just more imperium vs. chaos. And so far, it looks like imperium vs. imperium. Whoooo boy. Exciting.

Back in third ed, Dark Eldar we're known for their multiracial slave gladiator arenas. That idea took me 2 seconds to recall.

Gw had 2 years to come up with a way to reimagine the game into another setting. Missed opportunity seems to have struck again. For both a convincing reason to gather a bunch of cool stuff together to duke it out, and for GW to make money as they did during Silver Tower.

It'll probably still be pretty cool, as it is Gorechosen after all. But the point of the engine's flexibility has flown over their heads like a 747 yet again.

More
19 Feb 2019 09:14 #292591 by drewcula
Hard pass for me. I finally picked up a copy of Gorechosen last week, and look forward to slapping paint on the minis and playing some fast rounds of slaughter. AoS and 40K do NOTHING for me. I stick around with GW because of Blood Bowl. And yet, I dipped my toes into Gorechosen because it's stand alone, quick, well reviewed, and has some interesting models to paint. Some hobbyists go absolutely bonkers for GW minis. I'll confess; they are a pure joy to assemble. However, I find their aesthetic just a bit much. That's being kind. It's WAY TOO MUCH. Everything is visually TOO MUCH. Gorechosen is, and will hopefully be, my only step into AoS stuff. And I'm okay with that for the reasons cited. This little game of combat is so ridiculously stepped in the lore of Khorne, it just makes sense to have the minis be ludicrously violent. A perfect example of form following function. I'm not as convinced the Arena Combat will have such synergy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
19 Feb 2019 22:02 #292684 by Sevej
Of course they're too much... the pieces in Gorechosen are supposed to be the bad ass of the army.

As for 40k, I agree with the sentiment above: xenos is a much, much preferable opponent than chaos.

More
19 Feb 2019 22:17 - 19 Feb 2019 22:19 #292686 by Michael Barnes
Oh don’t worry, I’m sure there will be Genestealer Cults rules for it. I’m surprised there aren’t AoS rules for them.

Everybody always wants more Xenos, but then the Xenos games don’t sell. Black Fortress has Xenos- that awesome Kroot merc and the Aeldari ranger that makes the entire Craftworlds range look out of date.

I really like that they’ve been digging really deep in the lore lately into old Rogue Trader stuff. I’m getting that Dreaded Ambull next week. That seems like a shoe-in for this game too.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 22:19 by Michael Barnes.

More
20 Feb 2019 08:44 #292702 by Colorcrayons
A game taking place in a dark eldar slave pit wouldn't be a xenos game any more than 40k is a xenos game.

Dark eldar are equal opportunity enslavers of racial diversity.

There are easy ways to justify more races taking part without it being a "xenos game".

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds