October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Favorite indie games from the past couple of years?

More
08 Mar 2019 13:29 #293554 by Sagrilarus
I'll throw in Table Air Combat which is a dirt cheap, super easy-to-assemble Print 'n Play. Great little action with a very small ruleset, buy a plane model and print all you want. For $2 you can have a grand battle of 20 vs 20 airplanes (if that's your thing). Wargamevault.com, Andrew Nelson.

Hollandspiele publishes Table Battles is an engaging dice-roller that mimics battles from history (and otherwise). A very simple system in the left-middle-right level of abstraction, there's scenarios for medieval battles, American Revolution, War of the Roses, and there's a fan that is producing Middle Earth battle scenarios. A great little diversion even if you're not into wargaming, and the system is that simple. Sold as a published package from Hollandspiele as well as Print 'n Play, and easier to assemble that Table Air Combat, if that's possible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2019 13:33 #293582 by mezike
Just looking over at my game shelf and most of what I have would fall into that Indie category. I'd like to think it's an area where you are more likely to encounter some risks being taken for creative reasons rather than simply to pump out product, especially as the list of Indie games that I have passed over is an order of magnitude longer than the list of ones I've considered successful.

Some relatively recent ones that we are enjoying at the moment are:
Crime Hotel, a straight-shooting deduction game where you balance gathering information with making guesses and which has surprising depth through hand management and timing of card plays.
Four Elements, a flicking game where you simply have to knock your opponents off the play area and has a neat angle where each faction has some unique properties purely from the way that the playing pieces have been cut.
Xia was mentioned earlier, we also enjoy Tavarua from the same designer/publisher which on the surface is an easy-going game about surfing but which has a deeper layer to it of messing with the other players runs in order to spoil their chances of taking the trophies.
Hellapagos, very much a game of the moment maybe but I'm seeing people go out to track down their own copy after playing so I reckon it will be around for some time. I really love the way that this addresses the idea of collaborative play, you are all out for yourselves but you have to work together in order to have a chance of survival. Some great player interactions.
Shadows:Amsterdam was quite fun on the couple of occasions when I've been able to play it; it's from Libellund so maybe not an obscure enough publisher but the game itself seems to be largely under the radar. It's a real-time team based take on Dixit/Mysterium/etc.
There was a fun Japanese game about building a park that a friend showed me a couple of times and I wish I could remember the name of. I suppose that makes it really obscure then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.848 seconds