October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Hello Sports fans

More
24 Mar 2019 21:16 - 31 Mar 2019 21:42 #294382 by Rliyen
Hello Sports fans was created by Rliyen
Hello all,

I was wondering if you guys could help me. About 3 years ago, my stepfather died. My stepfather was a wonderful man to my mother, but he left her with a LOT of baseball related material. He was a retired math teacher, loved statistics and LOOOOOVED BASEBALL. Like seriously loved baseball on a level I couldn't possibly imagine.

Anyway, he was a Grade A hoarder of sports games, baseball mostly, but he also had football games as well. I'd like to sell this stuff for my mother and get it out of her house. The pictures attached are just a sample of what is still left at my mother's.

Going through this made me feel amazed but a bit sad. He had enough Stasis Pro Baseball, as you can see, but he bought them for the new year baseball season. It was like buying a can opener every time you bought a can of beans.

My mother is planning on giving dad's sons a drop dead date to come pick up the remainder of the stuff in the 8 x 20. And if they don't, I'm taking it. Because it is sitting there, unused, when this stuff belongs in homes where it will be appreciated.

I'm currently going through the games one by one to see if they are intact. And for the most part, they are.

If any of you have any interest, please let me know. Thanks in Advance

Scott

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2019 21:42 by Rliyen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2019 22:19 #294387 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Hello Sports fans
My father-in-law is a hoarder in the making who also loves stats and baseball. He plays in an APBA league and attends tourneys all over. If there is any APBA stuff I'm sure he'd be more than interested (he'd prolly be interested in all of that to be honest). I am somewhat afraid to even show him the pictures because I kinda have the feeling he'd want it all.... so lets start by focusing on if there is any APBA stuff.

More
25 Mar 2019 08:46 #294396 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Hello Sports fans
Yes, actually, there is APBA stuff, several copies of the baseball and a copy of the football game. And, I suspect, the season player cards for it as well. He had so many long boxes for that, but I don't know if it was for APBA or if it was for Stasis Pro. I'm going back to my mother's this weekend, and seeing what's what.

More
26 Mar 2019 23:03 #294563 by gorm
Replied by gorm on topic Hello Sports fans
I’m a huge sports gamer - it’s what got me into gaming back in high school. Would love to see what you got there - I play all the standards - APBA, Strat, Statis Pro and would be interested in knowing if the are any of the old Paydirt games.

More
27 Mar 2019 15:53 #294621 by Rliyen

gorm wrote: I’m a huge sports gamer - it’s what got me into gaming back in high school. Would love to see what you got there - I play all the standards - APBA, Strat, Statis Pro and would be interested in knowing if the are any of the old Paydirt games.

There is a BUNCH of Statis Pro, one set of Strat, and several PAYDIRT games (90 and 92 teams, I haven't gone through all of them yet). I'll update with a listing of what I have and append this post.

More
27 Mar 2019 22:10 - 28 Mar 2019 22:44 #294633 by Rliyen
Gorm, here's a portion I've gone through so far, there's a bit more to go through:

Football Strategy 1972 – good condition box. Complete but there's staining on the directions and the defensive cards.

Paydirt – good condition of box, complete. 1990 season. Dice haven't even been pulled out of the packaging.

Paydirt – good condition of box, complete. 1992 season. Dice haven't even been pulled out of the packaging. Staining on directions.

SI Pro Football Game 1971 (predecessor to Paydirt) – Box lid crushed, split. Dice, field, and scoreboard heavily used. No directions, but could be used with later versions.

Statis Pro Baseball/Great Teams – good condition box. Complete, but staining on the player cards and FA cards from rubber bands. Rubber band portion sticking to player cards. Unpunched.

Statis Pro Baseball/Great Teams – Minor water damage to box lid. Complete, but staining on the player cards and FA cards from rubber bands. Rubber band portion sticking to player cards. Unpunched.

Statis Pro Baseball/Great Teams – Box in good condition. Complete, but staining on the player cards and FA cards from rubber bands. Completely punched.

Superstar Baseball – Box in good condition, but bottom has small hole. Unpunched, only thing missing is a pawn.

Superstar Baseball – Box in acceptable condition, but bottom has small hole. Unpunched, but there is some heat browning on the back of one set of pitcher cards. Only thing missing is a pawn (again).

Statis Pro Major League – Box in acceptable condition – corner split. No pawns, photocopied rules. 1979 season cards, punched, theoretically complete.

Statis Pro Baseball – Box in good condition. 1992 season cards with only FA cards and California AL players punched. Missing 2 pawns.

Statis Pro Baseball – Box in acceptable condition, sun bleaching on top of box. 1992 season cards, all punched, theoretically complete.

Statis Pro Baseball – Box in good condition, sun bleaching on top of box. 1991 season cards, all cards unpunched. Complete.

Strat-O-Matic Baseball – 1988 season, still in wrap. Rest of the cards unpunched.

I'll post photos of the ones you'd like to see.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2019 22:44 by Rliyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Mar 2019 22:27 #294715 by Rliyen
Gorm, et al:

Here's more!

Statis Pro Baseball – Box in good condition, sun bleaching on top of box. 1981 season cards, all cards punched, theoretically complete. Staining on some cards due to rubber bands. Rules and pawns intact.

Statis Pro Baseball – 1984 season player cards. Found in a Paydirt box. Cards are marked on the back, presumably to play Paydirt. Good condition.

Replay Major League Baseball – 1947 season collector's classic. Box is in excellent condition, as are the cards. Some of them have staining due to rubber bands, but remarkably few.

Midwest Research Inc. Major League Baseball (Precursor Statis Pro Baseball) – box in acceptable condition, split seam on box lid. 1973 season, unpunched. Some yellowing to blank player cards.

Baseball Strategy (1980) – Unpunched. Unpunched. Unpunched. Complete. Minor staining on one board half, and a rubber band shadow on the home and visiting player cards where band was sandwiched between the two. More of a basic strategy game, as opposed to stat heavy baseball games.

Baseball Strategy (1977) (2 copies) – One box is poor condition, crushed top and lots of wear. Staining to pitch cards, need to be sleeved with solid backed sleeves. Missing six pawns. The second set is in much better condition, card complete. Missing one pawn.

Solo Ball – (9 fucking copies) – Boxes are all in excellent condition, save one split. Some of the sets have the cards still in wrap. Reasoning for so many copies is that each card set is unique. All complete.

Superstar Baseball (2 copies – Babe Ruth cover). All cards punched. One box is sealed on one side with packing tape to act as a hinge for the box cover. Although the insert says 48 players for NL and AL, both sets are lopsided 49 NL and 47 AL, which think is a printing error. One set does not have directions, but the other does.

And that's it for baseball. My next update will cover the more basic football and baseball games.

Anybody interested is Aussie Footy (I have no idea why my stepfather had that)?

More
28 Mar 2019 23:53 #294719 by gorm
Replied by gorm on topic Hello Sports fans
Definitely interested in some of the Paydirt. Anxious to see your next post...

WTH is Solo Ball??

More
29 Mar 2019 10:16 - 02 Apr 2019 22:41 #294729 by Rliyen
Solo ball is a solitaire BB game. I've not played it, but it was made in conjunction with the Sporting News Digest back in 1969. There's an entry to it on the Geek but no reviews.

I'll be getting the photos up soon. Just want to check the other games for completeness and put them up as a post.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2019 22:41 by Rliyen.

More
29 Mar 2019 18:54 - 29 Mar 2019 18:58 #294772 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Hello Sports fans
I had a copy of NFLStrategy (in the picture) in the early 80's. It plays like a jazzed-up Football Strategy, with more plays, a fancy randomizing system, and an automated game clock. I'd make an offer for it, but I already have a copy of the older version that doesn't get played.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2019 18:58 by RobertB.

More
30 Mar 2019 17:11 #294782 by Rliyen
I'll be putting more up soon. But in the meantime, here's what I'm dealing with. He also has unopened baseball cards, books, magazines, and digests.

More
30 Mar 2019 22:05 #294785 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Hello Sports fans
I would be interested in All Star Baseball. Also, are you going to list the books?

More
30 Mar 2019 22:59 - 30 Mar 2019 23:27 #294786 by Rliyen
Gorm, et al

I got the apba stuff. This is what I found.

1948 season - all teams
1950 season - all teams (reprint)
1955 season - all teams

1980 season (original) - all teams plus the extra players for the season, but there is some browning due to the cardboard box they were in

1990 season - all teams, plus the extra players for the season, but there is some browning due to the cardboard box they were in

2 1994 core sets - One with 2 1994 teams and 1 Group 9 Hall of Fame players. The other is the 1994 playoff set with 8 teams.

1 1995 core set with all teams, plus 1995 extra players. Box bottom is bent in places and there is some browning on the cards. The dreaded rubber band bits are somewhat glued to the back of one of the charts.

1 1996 core set with all teams, plus 1996 extra players.

1998 season - all teams, plus the 1998 extra players.

All of the above has apparently never been played and the extra players are still unpunched.

Let me know if you are interested in this, Dabid. I have to say, this is an EXPENSIVE hobby. Like puts GW 40k to shame. I'll post pictures if you want to see the condition.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2019 23:27 by Rliyen.

More
30 Mar 2019 23:12 - 31 Mar 2019 21:41 #294787 by Rliyen

Space Ghost wrote: I would be interested in All Star Baseball. Also, are you going to list the books?

Of course you ask for one of the games I left at my mother's! As for the books, yes. Here they are. These are in the house, not in the utility room. I have NO idea what books are there, just that I know there's a bunch of them.

Next time I head down to my mother's, I be sure to grab it and see if it's complete. I'm almost 100% certain that it is. He collected, but never played them.

Also, you did not post pictures of your SS haul. You make me sad. :(

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2019 21:41 by Rliyen.

More
01 Apr 2019 01:53 #294811 by garth19
Replied by garth19 on topic Hello Sports fans
I'm interested in the APBA cards, specifically 1980, 1990, 1995, 1996, and 1998. In all honesty, APBA seasons often sell for 30-50 bucks or more on e-bay. I don't have that kind of money, but if you're just looking to find a home for these sets, let me know what you believe to be fair.

GF

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.605 seconds