October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

DUNE: Learning the game (2019 edition)?

More
08 May 2019 04:21 #296754 by ModelVillain
Hello FATties... (erm,"Twib-Gees") -

A friend and colleague is keen to get a 6 player game of Dune going Thursday, making use of his prized hand-made wooden board and components.

A couple of players are brand new, but most of the rest (myself included) are in need of a seriousrefresher, and trolling for information revealed a host of possibly questionable, maybe useful rules, strategy, and play guide materials online that span four decades. Never mind all the house rules and variants!

Does anyone have a modern list of rules/how-to/strategy guides? Are there some lingua-franca / tournament rule sets that are considered standard? Suggested rules, options, and faction strategies to get things rolling?

Anything is appreciated, many thanks in advance -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2019 08:06 #296762 by drewcula
Following this thread.

I'm hosting a session on 5/31.

More
08 May 2019 09:08 - 08 May 2019 09:10 #296768 by charlest
I don't think there's really any onus here to prep or do anything out of the ordinary. The rules are 4 pages and all faction specific rules are on the player shields. You don't need to exhaustively understand each faction to enjoy the game.

We like to use the optional rules (certainly faction rules) and require an alliance control 4 strongholds instead of 3. We cap alliances at 2.

I've only played a few times, but we've never used the advanced combat or double spice blows.

Oh, we did use a house rule last game. Fremen had a bonus ally ability of allowing their partner to freely resurrect 1 army from the tanks. We liked this as Fremen's natural alliance ability is too situational.
Last edit: 08 May 2019 09:10 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, cdennett

More
08 May 2019 10:27 #296773 by GorillaGrody

charlest wrote: I don't think there's really any onus here to prep or do anything out of the ordinary. The rules are 4 pages and all faction specific rules are on the player shields. You don't need to exhaustively understand each faction to enjoy the game.

We like to use the optional rules (certainly faction rules) and require an alliance control 4 strongholds instead of 3. We cap alliances at 2.

I've only played a few times, but we've never used the advanced combat or double spice blows.

Oh, we did use a house rule last game. Fremen had a bonus ally ability of allowing their partner to freely resurrect 1 army from the tanks. We liked this as Fremen's natural alliance ability is too situational.

What Charlie said. I've found it's most common to use the basic standard-plus-advanced rules, but to ignore common house rules and expansion rules meant to "repair" something about the game, like double spice blow/spice-for-combat. It's better to find out (or to never find out) that the Fremen are a little tricky to play on a cold run. (Charlie's idea is a good one, though).

The Advanced rules like Karama powers are a must, however, as they provide for a lot of the roleplaying that's folded into the mechanics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, drewcula, charlest

More
08 May 2019 10:30 #296775 by Da Bid Dabid
Start with this for your rules for the first game. Then make changes as you see fit. A few good strategy articles around there as well.

www.starbasejeff.com/dune_rules.asp
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, cdennett, GorillaGrody

More
08 May 2019 23:10 #296829 by Greg Aleknevicus
Given that you have newbies, I'd opt for just the basic rules -- no advanced, no optional. There's enough meat on the basic game's bones that you won't feel as though you're missing anything (and there are enough odd and faction-specific rules that it can already be overwhelming to a first-time player).

The one exception is the common house rule:

A single player requires 3 strongholds to win.
A two-player alliance requires 4.
A three-player alliance requires all 5.

Without this rule, the game will very likely end at the first nexus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
09 May 2019 03:55 #296835 by Disgustipater

charlest wrote: I don't think there's really any onus here to prep or do anything out of the ordinary. The rules are 4 pages and all faction specific rules are on the player shields. You don't need to exhaustively understand each faction to enjoy the game.

+1 to all.

More
09 May 2019 21:14 #296884 by ModelVillain
Thank you all! We’re about to start, I’ll report how it goes

O7

More
09 May 2019 23:30 #296890 by Sagrilarus
There will of course be photos.

More
10 May 2019 12:55 #296908 by JoelCFC25
I would endorse the Starbase Jeff document--I've successfully introduced DUNE to two entirely different play groups with it. Don't bother with spice-supported combat and doubled spice blows until you have a small handful of games under your belt.

In light of that, the overall advice I've given in the past (once we dispense with covering each player's unique "this is how I break the basic rules" abilities) is:

1. The game economy tends to be TIGHT. If you use all your spice to buy cards (which you are doing sight-unseen), you may not be able to ship much onto the planet.

2. Stress the extremely slow rate at which players recover dead guys from the Tanks. Dying in large numbers is really bad, and you end up being a de facto observer for several turns. People tend to be familiar with big glorious combats in other games where you can nonetheless get back on your feet in fairly short order. This is not one of those games, so take care when committing big numbers if you don't feel reasonably confident about your chances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds