SI
san il defanso
December 10, 2019
906 0
T
thegiantbrain
December 10, 2019
657 0
Please clear you browser cache (03 Dec 2019)

I've made some upgrades. Please clear your browser cache to make sure you pick up all the changes. Thanks.
Also, if you are still on IE 11, it sucks to be you. Sorry, but that browser is 6 years old. I have done my best to make the site work for you, but the site will look and behave wonky,

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASE are you RESISTING?

More
25 Oct 2019 12:11 #302782 by hotseatgames

Michael Barnes wrote: I keep resisting Undaunted...the rules look amazing and it fits right into my wheelhouse...EXCEPT I’d rather play a game about the history of denim than anything to do with WWII.

You say that, but I'm told that the Jorts expansion really opens things up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, dysjunct, Gregarius, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2019 12:12 #302783 by Michael Barnes
Right after I posted that I thought “you know what, I probably would actually really be into that”.

Josh, War Chest or Undaunted?

More
25 Oct 2019 12:37 #302791 by Josh Look
Shit, that’s a hard choice.

I was actually jumping on to the site to remind you that there’s also War Chest, but I still think one might lead to the other and vice versa.

Maybe try War Chest. It’s way more abstract, cleaner and I prefer not having scenarios. It’s a great game in its own right. I also think you’ll recognize that what some people consider a “flaw” (being stuck with one unit after the others of its type have been removed from the game) is an intentional limitation that improves the game when you’re playing with it in consideration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
25 Oct 2019 13:02 #302794 by Jackwraith
Totally War Chest, IMO. This is one of THE seriously underrated games from last year. Like Josh says, the design is clean, there's tremendous depth in it because it plays like an abstract, but still has more variable detail in the abilities of the units than your average abstract (i.e. the Light Cavalry don't just move diagonally like a Bishop in chess.) Plus, the production design is spectacular. Part of the visceral joy of playing is swapping those heavy coins in one hand like you're sitting at a poker table with chips. Has an expansion that was just released, too, if you find that you really enjoy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
25 Oct 2019 18:37 #302812 by quozl

Erik Twice wrote: I'm also on the fence regarding Civilization, the Tresham game. It's a game I want to own eventually but I'm not sure whether to find a cheap copy of the Spanish version, get the new edition despite the old-fashioned components and/or make my own copy.

Just get the cheap one. You're only going to play it a couple times a year, max.

More
25 Oct 2019 22:37 #302817 by Shellhead

Shellhead wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I gave into temptation and bought Coma Ward. It's essentially Betrayal at House Mental Institution on the Hill, with a worse rule book and the same insufficient playtesting. I managed to fight the urge to buy it the last time I was at the FFG Event Center, but then I saw it priced at 25% off and zero shipping on Amazon.

I also expect that I will succumb to the siren call of the new edition of Dune, even though I bought the original edition 8 years ago for a reasonable price. It's just so pretty, and still one of the best board games ever published.

I have been saved thanks to my first negative experience with Amazon. Coma Ward was supposed to arrive last Saturday. Then Sunday. Then Amazon notified me that the package might not get delivered. Finally, it became apparent that the package was accidentally damaged by the post office, and got shipped back to the sender. I got a refund. I could order again from the same seller, who still has a few copies of Coma Ward, but maybe this is a second chance for me to resist temptation.

In a time of weakness, I succumbed and bought Coma Ward. Played it for the first time recently, with an old friend who has now moved to a distant part of the U.S. The game does suffer from the expected Kickstarter weaknesses of overproduction and insufficiently playtested rules. At least they used standees and tokens instead of miniatures. The game is rich with atmosphere and potential, but the main dice-rolling mechanic causes players to fail a lot and the scenario we got wasn't well designed.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds