October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
06 Jun 2019 19:24 - 06 Jun 2019 19:25 #298069 by RolandHemisphere
I am torn on SpaceCorp. Half the shit I read says the game is brilliant, the other half is disappointed, at best. And I read Wayne's Flamme Rouge reviews every other day and I've had that game on my wish list since it came out,

And yet...
Last edit: 06 Jun 2019 19:25 by RolandHemisphere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2019 06:52 #298084 by WadeMonnig

dysjunct wrote: FLAMME ROUGE

Why I'm Tempted: Wade's reviews make it sound great.

Why I'm passing: Availability is weird, looks like the Stronghold edition is OOP? Unsure of if the import edition would be compatible with the expansions. I'll wait for a domestic reprint I think.

I know I had to wait for a restock of the base game to review it. I hear the import is the same except the rulebook, but I haven't confirmed this.

More
09 Jun 2019 14:31 #298167 by cdennett

RolandHemisphere wrote: I am torn on SpaceCorp. Half the shit I read says the game is brilliant, the other half is disappointed, at best.

SpaceCorp is brilliant, and it just so happens I have a copy to sell... ;P

I don't dislike the game, but not something I'm excited about getting to the table, so it needs to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, RolandHemisphere

More
09 Jun 2019 22:40 #298174 by Sagrilarus

cdennett wrote:

RolandHemisphere wrote: I am torn on SpaceCorp. Half the shit I read says the game is brilliant, the other half is disappointed, at best.

SpaceCorp is brilliant, and it just so happens I have a copy to sell... ;P

I don't dislike the game, but not something I'm excited about getting to the table, so it needs to go.

That's a great summary for me too. The game is . . . fine. I have about 25 games I'd rather play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

More
10 Jun 2019 07:56 #298184 by Legomancer
Conflicting views on SpaceCorp re because it's a game in which, when it does what it does well, it does it really well, but the rest of it falls SO flat. And you can't just ignore the flat parts. It's fine if you're used to the sort of GMT games that aren't actually supposed to be fun, but otherwise it sours its own experience in due time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

More
10 Jun 2019 08:35 #298190 by DarthJoJo
I’m resisting Barnes’ Gloomhaven sale right now. Seems desperate, though. Think he’ll go under $100?

More
10 Jun 2019 08:42 #298191 by Vysetron
You can get the thing on Amazon for < $100. That said I have no idea what extras he was referring to.

More
10 Jun 2019 09:03 #298193 by Michael Barnes
I’m adding about $70 worth of value to mine between the Plano boxes, the Solo scenarios/promo cards, and reusable stickers. The punching and sorting is actually a couple of hours of work too. I just lowered the price on it, I can’t go too low on it because of shipping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Vysetron

More
10 Jun 2019 11:27 #298196 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote: It's fine if you're used to the sort of GMT games that aren't actually supposed to be fun,

Whoa whoa. We're all just going to let this nugget coast on by?

Mr. Legomancer sir, could you provide some additional insight into the GMT games not designed to be enjoyable please? I'd be interested in a short list of examples, and perhaps some additional opinions regarding why these games exist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius, Vysetron, n815e

More
10 Jun 2019 11:35 #298198 by Vysetron

Sagrilarus wrote: Whoa whoa. We're all just going to let this nugget coast on by?

Mr. Legomancer sir, could you provide some additional insight into the GMT games not designed to be enjoyable please? I'd be interested in a short list of examples, and perhaps some additional opinions regarding why these games exist.

Fuck, I didn't even notice that. This is probably worth a thread on its own, GMT is kind of a divisive thing.

More
10 Jun 2019 13:46 #298203 by Legomancer

Sagrilarus wrote:

Legomancer wrote: It's fine if you're used to the sort of GMT games that aren't actually supposed to be fun,

Whoa whoa. We're all just going to let this nugget coast on by?

You know, the ones that are supposed to inspire beard stroking instead of actual entertainment.

More
10 Jun 2019 13:48 - 10 Jun 2019 13:49 #298204 by Gary Sax
Insert largest eyeroll emoji in the world here.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2019 13:49 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
10 Jun 2019 16:26 - 10 Jun 2019 16:29 #298208 by Sagrilarus
SpaceCorp . . .

Legomancer wrote: You know, the ones that are supposed to inspire beard stroking instead of actual entertainment.

I'm trying to decide if that's part of the Emperor's New Clothes effect that I'm getting from those playing Spacecorp. The game has a pretty stunning pedigree, coming from John Butterfield (designer) and Chad and Kai Jensen (developers). But I'm also of the opinion that, especially these days, a lot of gamers are collecting trophy animals and this one fits a couple of slots, including an association with wargaming by designer and publisher. That's something a lot of eggheads want to have on their resume. You can claim a Butterfield title without landing on a beach with this one, so it goes on the short list.

But this is kind of a flat play. It didn't have to be. The theme is pretty damn cool if you ask me. There was an opportunity for the game to rock. It just sort of doesn't, which more or less means that Butterfield didn't make good contact on this one. It's sucks to create really superb games only 90% of the time.

$82 MSRP. That's a lot of duckets for a game that is only pretty good, and likely a reason why GMT has put it on sale. I don't think it's selling as well as they thought it would. I only sort of paid for this one, using store credit from trading in other games so I don't have as much at stake. But I think a lot of people paid the $58 for the pre-order and want to like it, more than it warrants. There's people on the 'net saying pretty absurd things about facets the game just doesn't appear to have, to me at any rate.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2019 16:29 by Sagrilarus.

More
10 Jun 2019 18:33 - 10 Jun 2019 18:33 #298210 by Ah_Pook
Amazon has History of the World for $14.22 currently

I'd be more tempted if y'all hadn't ruthlessly bullied me into buying Arkham Horror the card game a couple days ago ;)
Last edit: 10 Jun 2019 18:33 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Vysetron

More
10 Jun 2019 18:34 #298211 by quozl
One thing I do to resist purchases is wait a year after it comes out before purchasing. By then, you should be able to know if it will be a shelf toad or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, marcnelsonjr

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds