October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
20 Jun 2019 08:50 #298676 by Michael Barnes
That is absolutely not acceptable. I’m not sure what they could do to make it right, but an awkward shrug and “oops, sorry” doesn’t cut it. You should have been offered something for that, even if it is repairable. It’s disrespectful and careless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2019 09:06 #298678 by drewcula
Barnes, I'll solicit you for advice. Should I reach out to TTCombat privately? Publicly, on their Facebook page? Or truly just let it go?

It's less about getting something in return as it is having them develop some sort of uniform business etiquette.

BTW - I did glue the piece back on, and it was a PITA.

More
20 Jun 2019 09:23 #298681 by ubarose
Often time the people who work the booths aren't regular employees of the companies. They are just hired to work the booth. Often times for nothing more than a badge and a bed in a shared room. They have no authority to offer you compensation, and were probably freaking out a bit and din't know what the hell to do.

I think you should contact the company privately. I am sure they will offer you some kind of compensation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, drewcula, Sevej

More
20 Jun 2019 10:01 #298682 by Ah_Pook

marcnelsonjr wrote: RESISTING: Shards of Infinity
WHY RESIST: I have 10 other deckbuilders with 50 other expansions, so do I really need another one? Plus, the Steam version is nice and I can even play hotseat with my kids.
WHY GIVE IN: I love the "you win" card. And it's only $27 for the base and the expansion!.

I grabbed a copy of this used for $10 recently, and it's totally fine. It adds exactly 2 things to Star Realms. The things are neat and fun, but if you have Ascension or especially Star Realms I don't know how much you need Shards too.

More
21 Jun 2019 01:24 #298720 by marcnelsonjr
Well, I failed to resist Shards of Infinity. My oldest boy asked for it, and I can't say no when the kids specifically request a game. Plus, I had $60 worth of change in my jar to take to Coinstar. :)

More
02 Jul 2019 10:21 #299157 by Vysetron
M.U.L.E. It's $25 on Amazon. Reviews seem to be saying "it's mean and has an event deck, but it's an economic game". That's basically exactly the kind of thing I enjoy.

I can't find anything comprehensive about it though.

More
02 Jul 2019 10:34 #299159 by charlest
MULE sucks. I never played the original PC game though so I'm sure that doesn't help. It's an economic Euro that can be extremely randomly punishing based on events. Not much there that's really neat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
02 Jul 2019 10:47 #299160 by barrowdown
I am currently resisting purchasing the War Storm series games from Compass and Draco Ideas because I definitely do not need another tactical/grand tactical series at a slightly different scale. It looks like it has some interesting command mechanics, but the comments about it keep mentioning the ambiguity of the rules, which is something that usually bothers me a lot.

Plus, I could always just add more to one of the other series I have and not need to learn a new rule set.

More
02 Jul 2019 11:23 - 02 Jul 2019 11:24 #299161 by RobertB

charlest wrote: MULE sucks. I never played the original PC game though so I'm sure that doesn't help. It's an economic Euro that can be extremely randomly punishing based on events. Not much there that's really neat.

M.U.L.E for the Atari 800 was one of the best computer games ever, back when the field was relatively new. I have a setup for playing it on my laptop, and talking about it makes me want to drag the laptop off to my brother's place for the Fourth.

M.U.L.E. the boardgame, not so much. As a boardgame, it's kind of dull, and runs kind of long. It doesn't do anything that Power Grid doesn't do better, except be M.U.L.E. I was tempted just for that, but played it first. That immunized me.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2019 11:24 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest, WadeMonnig, Vysetron

More
02 Jul 2019 11:32 #299163 by n815e
When Planet Steam came out it was favorably compared to the MULE video game.

More
02 Jul 2019 11:33 #299164 by n815e
In the past, I had looked at Codex with interest, but passed.
Lately, I really want to pick it up.

More
02 Jul 2019 11:39 #299165 by dysjunct
I failed to resist purchasing Flamme Rouge. I will punish myself by finally getting around to eBaying a pile of games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Frohike, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

More
05 Jul 2019 16:27 #299281 by Shellhead
I gave into temptation and bought Coma Ward. It's essentially Betrayal at House Mental Institution on the Hill, with a worse rule book and the same insufficient playtesting. I managed to fight the urge to buy it the last time I was at the FFG Event Center, but then I saw it priced at 25% off and zero shipping on Amazon.

I also expect that I will succumb to the siren call of the new edition of Dune, even though I bought the original edition 8 years ago for a reasonable price. It's just so pretty, and still one of the best board games ever published.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
11 Jul 2019 17:31 #299576 by Jackwraith
Apparently there's a new Villainous expansion in the pipeline, with Scar (Lion King), Yzma (The Emperor's New Groove), and Ratigan (The Great Mouse Detective.) I've never seen the other two (and have never heard of the second), so not sure what to think. I really enjoy the game, but without enough time to play it regularly, most of my group have kind of balked at the unfamiliarity with the various characters. They say it ends up being more like group solitaire, since they're so unfamiliar with their villain that they have to focus almost exclusively on what they're doing, which leaves little attention to focus on opponents and their progress, which is also largely unfamiliar to them, which means they're not sure whom is a threat. As the owner of the game and the one who's played almost all of the villains in it (everyone but Prince John), I really like it, but it's becoming a more difficult sell.

ibb.co/V9bQc9m

Sorry. I'd like to embed the image, but I can't seem to find an image hosting site that will work on this forum, after multiple attempts

More
11 Jul 2019 19:02 #299578 by ubarose
You have to use the BBcode.

File Attachment:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds