October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
28 Jan 2020 17:14 #306709 by Shellhead
I am resisting none of the purchases right now. Got a nice Christmas bonus at work and set an amount to the side for fun stuff. I recently bought Dark Venture and Magic Realm, and will kickstart Masters of the Night as soon as I get a spare moment. After that, I will go back into no-buy mode for a while, and maybe even finally sell off a few toads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2020 11:25 #306731 by Msample
I'm gonna pass on OATH. As I unpack the new ROOT stuff, I realized I have barely played it and OATH will likely be relegated to semi toad status. If I want to play, someone else will have it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
29 Jan 2020 11:58 - 29 Jan 2020 11:59 #306733 by ubarose

Msample wrote: If I want to play, someone else will have it.

In the past 20 years, there have only been a handful of games that I was interested in that didn't show up at a game group, store demo, or a con for me to play within a year of release. And honestly, I usually just want to play them, not own them.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2020 11:59 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike, Ah_Pook, Road Judge

More
04 Feb 2020 13:28 #306838 by Shellhead
Today I am battling the FOMO.

It's the last day to get in on the Masters of the Night kickstarter that we were talking about a few weeks ago. It's co-op/solitaire game of vampires battling with vampire hunters to gain control of their city. Thanks to the graphic design by Universal Head, everything looks fantastic, and the core game is just $39.00. The full rule book is posted online, and the gameplay looks good, and the organization is surprisingly fine for an Ares game. Nearly 100% of the stretch goals are unlocked. It looks like a good game at a very reasonable price, but I have about 24 hours to pull the trigger, and my long-term girlfriend just gave me some bad news and needs significant financial assistance from me.

Today is also the first day to kickstart Vampire: the Masquerade - Chapters, which is a co-op legacy boardgame with an emphasis on storyline and role-playing. There is a Day 1 incentive of a free expansion pack and a hardcover art book. The system is a mixture of dice and cards and minis and choose-your-own-adventure booklets, broken up into 40+ chapters that can each be played in under an hour. The core game is $149, It looks great, but that price is steep and I don't know if I have a stable set of players at the moment.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/flyosgames/...chapters/description

I will very possibly end up kickstarting Masters of the Night and missing out on Vampire: the Masquerade - Chapters.

More
04 Feb 2020 16:07 #306839 by NeonPeon
Nothing! I just play what's on my shelf anymore, as I have enough board games for a lifetime or two, and I try not to pay too much attention to new ones. I cheat about once a year - last cheat was the Dune remake. The time before that was Sea Evil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, birdman37, Pugnax555

More
05 Feb 2020 10:14 #306859 by Rliyen
Well, I did break down and funded Return to Dark Tower, despite my misgivings of the app use. That's it until September for me.

More
05 Feb 2020 10:47 #306861 by Ah_Pook
After buying Gaslands stuff (paints, templates etc) I'm legit out on new games for a good long while. Barring random trade offers I guess. I've got two preorders out and even those im eyeing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
06 Feb 2020 02:01 #306880 by mc
Escape the Dark Castle, secondhand cheap..... one expansion with it..... advice on here I seem to recall was it needed the full package really? But.... it's cheap.....

More
06 Feb 2020 13:19 #306887 by southernman

Shellhead wrote: Today I am battling the FOMO.

It's the last day to get in on the Masters of the Night kickstarter that we were talking about a few weeks ago. It's co-op/solitaire game of vampires battling with vampire hunters to gain control of their city. Thanks to the graphic design by Universal Head, everything looks fantastic, and the core game is just $39.00. The full rule book is posted online, and the gameplay looks good, and the organization is surprisingly fine for an Ares game. Nearly 100% of the stretch goals are unlocked. It looks like a good game at a very reasonable price, but I have about 24 hours to pull the trigger, and my long-term girlfriend just gave me some bad news and needs significant financial assistance from me.

I am glad I'm just intermittently on the site as when reading this I likely, especially on the price, would have jumped over to the site and backed it.
Close call :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen

More
07 Feb 2020 09:40 #306903 by hotseatgames
There's a reprint on KS right now for Arena: The Contest. The price is reduced. There is a bunch of new expansion stuff available as well. The initial print seems well received. I remember being tempted by it before.

Logically, I know this game has a ton of stuff in it and I'll only play a fraction of it. I also know that I already have a different game in the same genre, and I need this like I need a hole in my head. But there is *something* about this game that really appeals to me.

I have not bought a board game in this calendar year and have been trying to stick to that. I also only have one outstanding KS right now, Millennium Blades expansion which seems to be taking forever. It doesn't matter since I can't get that game to the table either.

So far it looks like I am getting a nice tax refund. I may succumb, we will see. If I pledge for it, I'm literally going to give some games away I have been trying to sell. I'm tired of seeing them.

More
07 Feb 2020 10:59 #306906 by the_jake_1973
A KS is coming up for a Wolfestein board game where one of the bosses in MechaHitler. This may be tough to resist.

The KS for the new CMON Games Marvel game is chipping away at my resolve only because I want to paint the chibi Marvel heroes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample

More
07 Feb 2020 16:43 #306920 by ubarose
The chibi Marvel heroes are adorable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, WadeMonnig, Road Judge

More
07 Feb 2020 20:23 #306921 by Michael Barnes
I am having to resist a lot of purchases lately. This Zinequest thing is just killing me. All of these indie RPG creators are doing these little punk rock DIY zines on Kickstarter and almost all of them look great to incredible. I’ve put money on like 6 of them. They are mostly like $10-$15, no stretch goals board gamer bullshit, no weird FOMO marketing. It’s closer to what KS was supposed to be, independent folks raising $1000 or so to put out small projects that don’t really have a place in the larger market.

Check this one out- it looks incredible, from a Vietnamese designer:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/sofinho/par...=project&term=Pariah
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Frohike

More
08 Feb 2020 11:50 #306939 by dysjunct
Barnes, I think you have a longer article in you somewhere about the explosion of innovation in the RPG space over the last ten years, versus trends in boardgames over the same period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD

More
08 Feb 2020 15:21 #306941 by charlest
I don't think RPGs are exploding in innovation right now. I'm not super connected so I may be wrong, but the RPG explosion happened in the early 2000s with Ron Edwards' Sorcerer.

That directly produced Vincent Baker, Jason Morningstar, etc.

Vincent Baker sort of carried the torch into the latter half of that decade, but there were new and fascinating games coming out every month. Stuff like Dust Devils, The Mountain Witch, and Primetime Adventures were dropping all over and blowing minds.

Then Lady Blackbird dropped (influenced directly by indie story games) and one sheet RPGs were suddenly a thing. These are probably most responsible for the current zine movement as small format 'do more with less' became established.

Then Vicent Baker unleashed Apocalypse World and I think the indie scene may have peaked. Now it's sort of blown through into quantity and there's almost too much coming out (echoing the board game industry).

Still though, I'd say the RPG explosion can be traced directly back to Sorcerer and Ron Edwards' articles and design work at the Forge. This was the equivalent of the German Euro game movement with Sorcerer standing in for Catan. It changed everything after it and you can even see how the last couple iterations of D&D have responded and been influenced by 20 years of indie RPG development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds