October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
15 Feb 2020 21:09 #307149 by Frohike

southernman wrote: I resisted getting expansions and 'guidebooks' (extra missions) for Dungeon Degenerates ….. for three whole weeks !
My excuse is this will be my lifestyle game :whistle:

They're decent reading really, especially if you dig the game. I think they're probably a better value as sourcing for a RPG, but I'm still happy I have them. It's unfortunate that Eric is no longer associated with Goblinko because I think he's really the brains behind the DD design & worldbuilding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2020 00:27 #307152 by n815e
I didn’t realize he left, just thought he was preoccupied.

More
16 Feb 2020 00:58 #307154 by Gary Sax
I preordered the new Great Campaigns of the Civil War game that just went up:

www.multimanpublishing.com/Products/tabi...tID/375/Default.aspx

My mild worry is that is going to be a KKK Nathan Bedford Forrest love-in scenario-wise, even though iirc this is a devastating loss for the traitors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
16 Feb 2020 17:38 #307168 by southernman

Ah_Pook wrote: im resisting purchases by trying to arrange trades for stuff i want. its a whole other hobby! it doesnt solve the issue of having too many games, and shipping adds up, but on the whole i think its better than just buying a ton more shit i dont need ;)

I'm quite addicted to the UK Math Trade on BGG, I don't get that many matches because probably 90% of the games are euros (not my flavour) but this month I picked up the full Escape the Dark Castle bundle for my Big Trouble in Little China game (which we found fun but unbalanced and under-developed), Dark Venture + Expansion and some more Lord of the Rings Card Game.
But I do need a break from it as I get a bit wound up looking for swaps … but it does get interesting games in for old at low cost so it does its job in that respect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Ah_Pook

More
17 Feb 2020 11:15 #307185 by cdennett

n815e wrote: I’m so tempted by Anachrony right now.
I just have so many games already...

Anachrony is easily my favorite low-interaction, passive-aggressive Euro. It's somewhat complicated, but the iconography is fantastic and it just scratches that itch for me. Plus it has a cool theme and components. But in the spirit of this thread, I would hold out for 6 months or so and let the current Kickstarter fulfill, you'll probably see a number of copies shake loose afterwards, and they may have the upgraded components.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
17 Feb 2020 12:41 #307188 by WadeMonnig
Im successfully resisting Cosmic Frog because it's not available to pre order yet.... does that count?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ah_Pook

More
17 Feb 2020 21:47 - 17 Feb 2020 22:04 #307197 by Sagrilarus
Not that anyone else cares but Dorniers and JU-88s are coming out in March, two airplanes I'd like very much to shoot at. They are really pretty.

There is absolutely no good reason to buy these, though they will surely sell out in short order (everyone else wants to shoot at them too.). The HE 111s aren't really available at any price anymore.

A pair of each plus an Aerodrome challenge coin, $103 shipped.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2020 22:04 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike

More
18 Feb 2020 08:45 #307202 by charlest
I really don't understand how they could launch a Battle of Britain set and never actually get the HE111s back in print.

More
24 Feb 2020 11:10 #307405 by dysjunct
Resisting Pax Pormir 2e. Everyone seems to be raving about it, but then I see "40 minute rules explanation" and NOPE right out.

More
24 Feb 2020 12:14 #307409 by Michael Barnes
I heard all the praise (including from great folks like Charlie and Dan) and was interested...but then I realized that I have absolutely zero interest in the game beyond the fact that cool people like it. It is not the kind of thing I want to play at all these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
24 Feb 2020 13:03 #307415 by Gary Sax

dysjunct wrote: Resisting Pax Pormir 2e. Everyone seems to be raving about it, but then I see "40 minute rules explanation" and NOPE right out.

Like Pax Renaissance, Pax Pamir takes a while to explain but plays very quickly and decisively. So make of that what you will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, cdennett, charlest

More
24 Feb 2020 15:40 #307423 by cdennett

Gary Sax wrote:

dysjunct wrote: Resisting Pax Pormir 2e. Everyone seems to be raving about it, but then I see "40 minute rules explanation" and NOPE right out.

Like Pax Renaissance, Pax Pamir takes a while to explain but plays very quickly and decisively. So make of that what you will.

I'll just add that this game forces you to think differently. Just because you *can* do a thing, doesn't mean you *should* do a thing. By taking a free card because he had an unused action, a player handed the game to me last time I played. It really is very unique. The cards look complicated, but typically all you need to do is evaluate the groups of symbols on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
24 Feb 2020 22:26 #307442 by Jackwraith
I love Leder Games' stuff and I'm really interested in the theme behind Pax Pamir, but I resisted (and would continue to do so) because the last time I saw a copy on a shelf, it cost $100. Can't do it anymore.

More
24 Feb 2020 23:11 - 25 Feb 2020 00:47 #307443 by Frohike
I've enjoyed Conan but the latest campaign is a little hard to swallow. $100 for the Tome of Skelos, a couple of maps on one board, some more minis (of course...), and some co-op rules & scenarios (7 of them solo, 6 new 1 v. all). Judging from the price of past expansions, it seems like I'd be paying an extra $40-$50 for the Kickstarter Plastic Excess tax. And another coffin box really doesn't help. I think my FOMO has flatlined on this one, especially since a 2.0 is apparently in the works. This almost seems like a campaign to just rope in customers who didn't get the initial King pledge.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 00:47 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton

More
25 Feb 2020 12:04 #307449 by Msample

Jackwraith wrote: I love Leder Games' stuff and I'm really interested in the theme behind Pax Pamir, but I resisted (and would continue to do so) because the last time I saw a copy on a shelf, it cost $100. Can't do it anymore.

The KS pledge last time was $60, which for what you got in the box was more than fair IMO. I suspect the $100 was when copies got scarce; I don't think many made it into retail channels . Given Cole Wehrle's increased in popularity since then and the cash infusion from selling through a ton of ROOT, I suspect this will have a higher print run and thus make it into retail/OLGS where you can get it for a lot less than $100.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds