October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
07 Apr 2020 10:44 #309018 by mezike
TWBG bake-off: I have Coeliac disease so my biscuit choices are limited. 200g ground almonds + 200g sugar + 2 egg whites + a pinch of baking powder makes some pretty awesome amaretti-style treats, especially if you add a little Amaretto and roll them in flaked almonds before baking. It's also quite a flexible recipe that can take a lot of tweaking before it goes horribly wrong.

Games resisting: pretty much everything. Over the last couple of weeks we've played more often than usual at home and are really getting back into repeat plays of games we love like Root, Flamme Rouge, and 51st State. It's made me want to chase after new stuff even less and so my threshold for purchasing has gone sky-high.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Gary Sax, Msample, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2020 12:40 #309052 by southernman
Still resisting although lockdown boredom starting to hit, found myself looking a IT hardware and LED torc gadgets online today - last year when I was housebound with a slipped disk in my neck for a month plus I ended up buying games and shit that wasn't really on my radar, so I have form !
On the plus side sold another two games since my last report … although I did put down a token $1 pledge for the Starlight kickstarter, it doesn't need to be paid for until the end of the year and my decision will probably be decided by the Brexit outcome (as I may have to end up paying 20% tax plus customs on it).

More
08 Apr 2020 18:06 #309066 by Msample
The new wave of KS from Phil Eklund.

- new version of Pax Renaissance . Mainly a component upgrade from the looks of it . I like the original enough, but see no reason to upgrade, plus I prefer the more compact original box

- a new module for High Frontier 4th edition ( which hasn't even shipped yet ) . I skipped HF4, an easy pass.

- PAX VIKING. New game, supposedly more accessible than his past designs. Need to look at the rulebook. For some reason, they are using round cards. WTF ?

On top of it all, the published ship date is October. Phil Eklund is notorious for self inflicted delays . On top of that, they have not even selected the printer yet. Guarantee the round cards are gonna come back to bite whatever printer they select.

More
08 Apr 2020 22:10 - 09 Apr 2020 13:53 #309070 by Gary Sax
That's a tough one. Tempted by Pax Ren, think it's the best one of those. Pax Viking could be cool, but...
Last edit: 09 Apr 2020 13:53 by Gary Sax.

More
09 Apr 2020 11:40 #309090 by Not Sure
Yeah.

I have all the expansion stuff for Pax Ren 1, so upgrading would basically be about the new alternate theocracy state and the eleven(?) extra deck cards.

It didn't hook me on Day 1, that's for sure.

Viking looks like a production disaster, and I think SMG have been mostly trending away from my interests since Pax Ren came out. (cf. Pax Emancipation and Transhumanity)

Pax Ren is one of my favorites, but I don't know that I need to buy it again.

More
09 Apr 2020 11:46 #309092 by Gary Sax
I don't have the expansion, so that's tempting. But also how bad has he fucked with what is an extremely good game in the meantime? I hate his living rulebooks.

More
09 Apr 2020 12:12 #309093 by Ah_Pook
every time ive ever handled a deck of cards ive thought to myself "boy i wish these were awkwardly shaped and much harder to use" so vikings is right up my alley
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, jeb, Gary Sax, SebastianBludd, Legomancer, Msample, Jackwraith

More
10 Apr 2020 00:45 #309124 by Not Sure

Gary Sax wrote: I don't have the expansion, so that's tempting. But also how bad has he fucked with what is an extremely good game in the meantime? I hate his living rulebooks.

To my knowledge, not very much. There was just recently a halfway sane ruling about how the the "double-unit Papal states" cards (the names escape me, but they mitigate the single knight thing) work.

The newish part of 2e is that the board paired with double-sided cards allows there to be more than one kind of theocracy for each location, but the rules for triggering that haven't changed as far as I know. Just more options for some of the spaces, like a potential "Catholic England". I think there might be some simplifications of some expansion stuff in the new edition, but I haven't tracked all of it.

I think Pax Ren has been one of the most stable rulesets he's had. I can't think of anything that really reversed or changed something, just some clarifications.

The endgame in Pax Porfiriana has been monkeyed with way more than anything in Renaissance, and forget about something like High Frontier. Yeesh.

More
10 Apr 2020 12:22 - 10 Apr 2020 12:22 #309134 by Gary Sax
Thanks, NotSure.

I might do Ren, but it'll be a last minute thing. I'm still on the fence. And, of course, will I still be working a job for Fall semester or furloughed? Makes the 80 bucks or whatever a tougher sell.

Definitely no Vikings. I'll get it if it's good in a 2nd ed.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2020 12:22 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost, Msample

More
10 Apr 2020 16:45 #309151 by Space Ghost

Gary Sax wrote: Thanks, NotSure.

I might do Ren, but it'll be a last minute thing. I'm still on the fence. And, of course, will I still be working a job for Fall semester or furloughed? Makes the 80 bucks or whatever a tougher sell.

Definitely no Vikings. I'll get it if it's good in a 2nd ed.

Have you actually gotten information about furloughs yet?

More
10 Apr 2020 18:50 #309153 by Gary Sax
No, there's been no furlough information. I'm just being overly pessimistic.

More
12 Apr 2020 14:40 #309185 by boothwah
Marvel Champions is siren calling me.

I'm waffling on recording our group's Gloomhaven state, breaking it back down, so that I can play solo since our state is locked for the rest of the month.... in the other hand..

I could get a co-op that I would probably only ever play solo, with the dangling liability of an extra $100.00 worth of decks and expansions that would start making demands on my psyche/wallet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
12 Apr 2020 16:05 #309187 by Sagrilarus
I've decided to go after Posthuman, but it's resisting ME instead of the other way around. Local store hasn't responded to requests and I haven't found a copy online yet. Hoping it's good, don't know anyone that's actually played it.

More
13 Apr 2020 08:53 #309202 by Legomancer
Buying the Ikoria pre-release bundle for MtG Arena. IT's $50 and includes 50 packs. The money isn't really the problem; I'd spend that easily on boardgames, but there's nothing out there I want to buy now. The thing is, do I want 50 packs of a set I don't know if I'll like yet? That's the issue and what I need to figure out soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
14 Apr 2020 11:58 #309241 by the_jake_1973
There is an amazing KS for printable terrain from Lost Kingdoms that I am looking for reasons to avoid purchasing. The big trouble is that it would fit perfectly in the Conan universe game I am going to start running.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds