October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
13 Jul 2019 22:24 #299622 by Shellhead

Shellhead wrote: I gave into temptation and bought Coma Ward. It's essentially Betrayal at House Mental Institution on the Hill, with a worse rule book and the same insufficient playtesting. I managed to fight the urge to buy it the last time I was at the FFG Event Center, but then I saw it priced at 25% off and zero shipping on Amazon.

I also expect that I will succumb to the siren call of the new edition of Dune, even though I bought the original edition 8 years ago for a reasonable price. It's just so pretty, and still one of the best board games ever published.

I have been saved thanks to my first negative experience with Amazon. Coma Ward was supposed to arrive last Saturday. Then Sunday. Then Amazon notified me that the package might not get delivered. Finally, it became apparent that the package was accidentally damaged by the post office, and got shipped back to the sender. I got a refund. I could order again from the same seller, who still has a few copies of Coma Ward, but maybe this is a second chance for me to resist temptation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, hotseatgames, Frohike, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2019 15:50 #299754 by DarthJoJo
SHASN on Kickstarter is pretty tempting right now. A game of politicking where the core mechanic has you trying to answer policy questions in line with your ideology for greater gerrymandering and coalition-building powers? Cool. And Dan Thurot liked his preview copy.

Price seems a bit high, and three players is tough for me, but it remains tempting.

More
18 Jul 2019 12:01 #299792 by Ah_Pook
I have successfully saved vs pret a porter, figuring I can almost assuredly pick it up for less that $80 at retail (and not really needing another heavy Euro in my collection atm).

The only other thing on my radar currently is buying the path to Carcosa cycle for Arkham LCG, but that's a stupid thing to do without playing through the Dunwich cycle that I already have so it's currently being resisted. Still keeping an eye out for a good deal on it though ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
19 Jul 2019 09:09 #299824 by jpat
I successfully resisted Mansions of Madness again, after passing before when it was on sale for about 35% off. The thing is, I probably would like it, but we already have Arkham 2e, Eldritch, Elder Sign, and the core for the Arkham card game. Plus I'd want to get the rest even if I didn't "need" it.

I've been struggling more against the urge to scoop up some more Imperial Assault before it gets harder to find. I bought the core set in, I think, early 2015, played it a total of once, Rip van Winkled, and then woke up in 2019 and it was more or less over as a physical product. Seems pretty ridiculous to pick up more, especially when my wife and I have such a poor track record with campaign games (Descent [sold], Arkham card game, Pathfinder card game ...). But.

More
19 Jul 2019 09:27 #299827 by Vysetron
In my constant search for the weird/overlooked I stumbled across Rise of the Necromancers. It looks to be a weird eurotrash hybrid in that you wander around the map acquiring resources and spending them to do stuff, but also roll a ton of dice to do anything important. The rulebook reads pretty interestingly and it's got a good bit of asymmetry, but I'm not fully convinced of the turn to turn play being that engaging. Seems like you need to take a fair few turns of setup before attempting actions that actually help you win.

Also in a cosmic horror mood lately and looking at every possible decent option. Open to recommendations, I'd actually like to get something nice. Not Cthulhu Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Jul 2019 09:38 #299828 by hotseatgames
I have not played it, but I believe there are fans of the Mythos Tales game around here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
19 Jul 2019 10:04 #299830 by charlest
Mythos Tales is the best Lovecraftian game out there. It feels truly dangerous at times and I think the paragraph/Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective format suits the genre super well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
19 Jul 2019 10:31 #299835 by cdennett
Just make sure to download all the errata for Mythos Tales (perhaps fixed in later printings), as it can be near unplayable for some of the scenarios. We never finished all of them, but agree that they do a very good job at setting the right tone.

More
19 Jul 2019 10:43 #299841 by ubarose
I really like Mythos Tales.

More
19 Jul 2019 11:19 #299849 by Hadik
Can I get a quick assist? I’m at a game board glee and have a copy of Battlefleet Gothic and a copy of BattleLore in my hands. Both are $40 and I need to pick one ... assuming they are an okay deal. Help!

More
19 Jul 2019 11:40 #299851 by Ah_Pook
Which battlelore? If it's 2e that's a good price, but you will probably want the oop expansions before long and they will set your back $$$ these days.

More
19 Jul 2019 22:14 #299883 by Hadik
Thanks for the assist. It was 1st ed. I went with Battlefleet. I’m excited to give it a roll.

More
20 Jul 2019 06:47 #299888 by mezike
Currently resisting the expansion for Hellapagos. The game is great but my previous experience of additional content for games like this has not been positive. I can’t see how the experience will be better with more stuff in the way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
21 Jul 2019 04:23 #299899 by mc
Big City anyone?
Ebay battle awaits if i want it, but reading up its hard to say. Thought there was some love around here for it. Is it just min max maths in the end?

More
21 Jul 2019 11:42 #299901 by ubarose
I haven't played Big City in years, but I remember liking it.

There is a 20th anniversary jumbo edition due to be released this month with a MSRP of about $100 or so. People may be trying to dump their old copies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds