October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Tableau Builder Rumble

More
17 May 2019 22:43 #297244 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Tableau Builder Rumble
Glory to Rome which we don't play enough.

Bloody Inn, because it's easy to teach, but more challenging than you expect it to be. Also it's funny.

Roll for the Galaxy because it's fast and easy and doesn't require much mental effort.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2019 23:00 #297246 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Tableau Builder Rumble
Race for the Galaxy is top for me. It does so much in a short time. Not only is it my favorite tableau builder, but it makes me not want to play any low to middleweight worker placement games ever.

I love 7 Wonders too, and find it best with less than 5 players. Even 2 is good. Not sure if it counts as a tableau builder though since it's a drafting game.

Glory to Rome is wild and fun. I used to hate the "and now you just win" cards, but now I think they're kind of necessary since certain other card combos effectively do that anyway and the auto win cards are sometimes people's only way of stopping your ridiculous point generation.

Imperial Settlers is a slog. Always wondering whose micro-turn it is. If some tableau builders are too short, it is definitely too long; that 5th year feels like it's as long as the rest of the game combined. Maybe I've just played with the wrong people but this one is agonizing.

Don't like Roll for the Galaxy at all. The exploration phase drags it down as each player fiddles with the bag.

More
18 May 2019 05:22 #297256 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Tableau Builder Rumble

DukeofChutney wrote: Innovation has quite a bit of strategy 2 player, but 3 it quickly becomes a shot in the dark as the likely hood of drawing key cards drops massively. 2 player you can opt to sprint through time and score big at the end, or try and build a points engine early. You can also realistically hunt for certain combos. 3 player the odds of getting cards you need is lower and the other players actions throw everything off. I still enjoy 3 or 4 player games but its more just for the ride.

I’ve only ever played it 2P, I’d think at higher player counts it’d not only be more random, but you’re more likely to see the higher number cards, which can be really wild/powerful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

More
18 May 2019 10:15 #297259 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Tableau Builder Rumble
Well I love these. My fave is 51st State (though my fave fave is its New Era incarnation. The Master Set is a fine compromise.) which just released an expansion and should be back in print. I'm always up for it, Andrew, hint hint.

I like Imperial Settlers and Pax Porfiriana. Race is okay but l too prefer San Juan.

I really wanted to like Alien Artifacts, but it just did not work out of the box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 May 2019 15:58 #297288 by stormseeker75
My wife and I just played Minerva. It's a tableau builder, but you only get 9 activations per game. You can buy some bonus ones. It's all about the spatial element of where you place your tiles. I think there's some meat there. The game is definitely a bit on the vanilla side.

I think Habitats kind of applies. You're building your own tableau of tiles. You have to satisfy each tile's needs for it to activate and score at the end of the game. You end up trying to chain things together. Plus the competition for the tiles is tight. This is a Cwali game so there aren't a lot of copies in the wild. Highly recommended.

More
20 May 2019 12:42 #297366 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Tableau Builder Rumble
Played Res Arcana this weekend and it was the real deal. We played 4 times back-to-back; can't recall the last time a game was compelling enough to do that. Plays fast, has a nice arc in a short time. Looks nice too. Has enough moving parts that each turn is a bit of a mini-puzzle, but then you also have to track what your opponents are doing.

Recommended, looking forward to playing again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 May 2019 13:33 #297369 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Tableau Builder Rumble

dysjunct wrote: Played Res Arcana this weekend and it was the real deal. We played 4 times back-to-back; can't recall the last time a game was compelling enough to do that. Plays fast, has a nice arc in a short time. Looks nice too. Has enough moving parts that each turn is a bit of a mini-puzzle, but then you also have to track what your opponents are doing.

I gotta try this thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 May 2019 17:47 #297388 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Tableau Builder Rumble

Gary Sax wrote:

dysjunct wrote: Played Res Arcana this weekend and it was the real deal. We played 4 times back-to-back; can't recall the last time a game was compelling enough to do that. Plays fast, has a nice arc in a short time. Looks nice too. Has enough moving parts that each turn is a bit of a mini-puzzle, but then you also have to track what your opponents are doing.

I gotta try this thing.

Resisting. Damn it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
04 Jun 2019 11:59 #297986 by BaronDonut
Replied by BaronDonut on topic Tableau Builder Rumble
Resurrecting this thread to say thanks for everyone's suggestions and ideas--you put some new stuff on my radar.

I ended up picking up Res Arcana and really enjoyed my one play of it. It's suuuuper dry and mechanical, which would normally bother me, but the breeziness of the game keeps this from being much of a problem. It's a really focused experience. Will it stay interesting? I'm not sure, but I'm optimistic.

Dave, I wanna play 51st State soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, GorillaGrody

More
04 Jun 2019 13:14 #297988 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Tableau Builder Rumble
I got my first 4 turn kill in Res Arcana yesterday, which felt pretty good. Though ignoring most of your cards in a tableau builder hasnt sat right with a couple people I've played with. You just don't have time to get a lot of that stuff out and have it be worth playing vs tossing for essences/gold.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37

More
04 Jun 2019 15:31 #297992 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Tableau Builder Rumble
BD, any time. Let me know when you're free!

Res Arcana is doing nothing for me. As BD says, it's so dry and mechanical. The theme is just yawner fantasy junk. I have yet to meet anyone who calls the resources anything except "red" and "green". My copy is on the trade stack after 3 plays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds