October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Preview the New Dune Board Game

More
20 Jun 2019 08:08 #298671 by drewcula

I did not play the convention copy at Origins.
I played my OG copy last week at my house!

I did speak with a great GF9 rep. The components at the con were the "con components." Everything had a nicer and more durable finish because it was going to be handled a lot. The con mat is ridiculously large in comparison to the refreshingly modest size of the actual board. But, I guess you need to account for six big gamers sitting around each other.

Most of any differences have already been discussed. I'll just reiterate; having descriptions on the cards is very helpful. I didn't read the quick start rules, but just knowing they exist is also nice.

This is just a nice looking edition. It's cool to know more gamers will finally be able to play it for a modest price. $50 MSRP.

I asked about The Duel and Spice Harvest. Interestingly, GF9 does not have the rights to these expansions. The hope that they may see a reprint is going to be small (my assessment). That's probably fine.

And then... The rep said there was a previous GF9 title that had lost it's IP rights, and was in consideration for a Dune re-skin. He wouldn't say what that game was, but it was geared towards houses and combat. And then we both acknowledged that Spartacus is one of our favorite games. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

IDK about any of that. I love Spartacus. It's first re-skin went over like a lead balloon. I don't know if a Dune treatment would be any better. Hell, they could just re-skin WWE Superstars to Dune. I'd be fine with that as a juiced-up variant of The Duel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, mezike, hotseatgames, Greg Aleknevicus, BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2019 08:48 #298675 by Michael Barnes
I think it’s one of the best looking games I’ve ever seen. It’s very simple yet it captures the futurist tone and psychedelic-ness of the book.

And $50 MSRP, get outta here!

Imagine if FFG or CMON did this...yuck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, drewcula

More
20 Jun 2019 09:06 #298679 by Vysetron
GF9 doesn't mess around with production, either. I've yet to play one of their games that didn't have nice bits. This game is going to rock.

More
20 Jun 2019 09:11 #298680 by hotseatgames
I'm buying this one at my first opportunity. I wanted to talk to the GF9 guys at Origins but they were constantly busy.

More
20 Jun 2019 12:22 #298687 by Gary Sax
Looks great. They made good choices.

More
20 Jun 2019 12:41 - 20 Jun 2019 12:46 #298693 by Sagrilarus
If this comes in at the discounters for $35 the rest of the industry is going to look pretty foolish.

Art is razor-sharp, components seem reasonable. I had no intention of buying because I have a copy. But if this is at the discounters at $35 I probably will.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 12:46 by Sagrilarus.

More
20 Jun 2019 13:42 #298698 by southernman
Looks great and price is fair for the basic components. But who cares if it doesn't have great/astounding components - there is another thread where people were talking about the best game and people were saying that the best game has the best components and the best rules and .... bollocks, the best game is whatever game you get the most enjoyment out of playing.
I sold my Dune a long time ago and I will be up for this edition (even though getting six players will be difficult) rather than paying the stupid numbers for original copies that, coincidentally, have been hitting eBay in the last few months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
20 Jun 2019 14:07 #298702 by hotseatgames
So is playing with less than 6 even worth doing, or should you just resign yourself to only getting this off the shelf with 6.

More
20 Jun 2019 14:38 #298703 by Disgustipater
If left with no other option, I will play with 5 (leaving out the Bene Gesserit), but otherwise I have to have 6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
20 Jun 2019 14:56 - 20 Jun 2019 15:01 #298706 by Sagrilarus

southernman wrote: Looks great and price is fair for the basic components. But who cares if it doesn't have great/astounding components - there is another thread where people were talking about the best game and people were saying that the best game has the best components and the best rules and .... bollocks, the best game is whatever game you get the most enjoyment out of playing.

It's often the case that the components are an impediment for me purchasing. I have a fixed amount of space and a fixed amount of money I'm going to spend on games, and frankly I just don't care. GMT's move to mounted boards has been a pain in my ass and I've more or less received no additional value from the change.

If a game is good the components fade into the background. Dune is good. Someone at GF9 concluded (I think rightly) that as long as the "component quality" was sufficient to deliver the functionality they would make the sale.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 15:01 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample

More
21 Jun 2019 07:32 #298727 by drewcula
Just to confirm Sag's suspicion; online discounters currently have this on pre-order for $35.

That is a crazy good deal.

RE: design. I like the illustrations for both '79 and '19. It'll be interesting to see if this edition takes off. If so, would GF9 do a reprint with images from the upcoming movie?

More
21 Jun 2019 08:26 #298730 by charlest
Rumor is they are doing just that, planning for a new movie version in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.747 seconds