October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dune Predictions

More
25 Jul 2019 12:12 - 25 Jul 2019 12:14 #300032 by Sagrilarus
Dune Predictions was created by Sagrilarus
Anyone care to express an opinion on how Dune will be received when it comes out? I've been watching a thread talking about replacing the cardboard components with upgrades, and I'm wondering how many people are aware that this is a broody, long game best with six.

People are aware it's a classic, but are they aware of what it is?
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 12:14 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample, fightcitymayor, Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2019 12:26 #300033 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Dune Predictions
I expect that the one and done crowd will not waste time decrying it.

I am absolutely buying a copy, and if it only comes out once a year, so be it.

More
25 Jul 2019 12:45 #300034 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Dune Predictions
I’mma punch a fool in the jaw when I hear “I’m not sure why I would play this over superior modern games like Blood Rage”.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
25 Jul 2019 12:47 #300035 by Michael Barnes
And I’ll DDT the first person that complains that there are only chits and no miniatures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
25 Jul 2019 12:58 #300036 by fightcitymayor
Replied by fightcitymayor on topic Dune Predictions
That's a good question. Because the same folks who carped endlessly for decades about wanting (nay, NEEDING) it to return are now the old-man crowd who hate everything except their own increasingly diminished niche (whatever that may be for each old codger.) And I agree that the younger crowd likely has no idea what the fuss is about, and they very well may not care.

At any rate, I predict salty vibes!

More
25 Jul 2019 12:59 - 25 Jul 2019 13:11 #300037 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Dune Predictions

Michael Barnes wrote: And I’ll DDT the first person that complains that there are only chits and no miniatures.

Yeah, that guy already exists and lives up I-85 from you in Greer. You could day-trip it with a comfortable stop for lunch. He's talking about replacing the cardboard components in the game which, best I can tell, is more or less the whole doggone thing.

I think the more recent boardgame fans view everything through a Kickstarter lens where bigger is better and things like miniatures are simply a standard part of the base package. The game is more of a noun than a verb to that kind of buyer.

There's always lovers and haters for any package, but I'm curious what the 80% in the middle are going to think of Dune. It's really a great game, but you have to be willing to invest in it to get your money's worth, even at it's remarkably low price.

I'll also pay a bounty for the first citing of someone wanting GF9 to Kickstart a deluxe version with superior components.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 13:11 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Vysetron

More
25 Jul 2019 13:22 #300041 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Dune Predictions
My prediction is that it’s gonna be fine. It’s gonna come out, some will see the brilliance some won’t, but the game’s legacy will go on regardless. Space Hulk and Fury of Dracula go through this every once in awhile, Dune will be just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, mezike

More
25 Jul 2019 13:24 #300042 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic Dune Predictions
I'm just waiting for the tons of cheap copies floating around that I can buy for pennies on the dollar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
25 Jul 2019 13:51 - 25 Jul 2019 13:52 #300043 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Dune Predictions
Yeah, that's a fair point. It'll sell well initially off of reputation and license alone, but I don't think it'll blow up a second time. Also I bet a lot of people will play at 4 and that's it.

Personally I'm just really glad to get a chance to play it. It's one of very few Eon games I'm missing.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 13:52 by Vysetron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Jul 2019 14:26 #300045 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Dune Predictions
I predict copies of Rex will price drop by 90%.

Also that nobody I know will buy Dune so I will still never get to play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
25 Jul 2019 14:35 #300046 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Dune Predictions
I own a very worn copy of the original and have played it several (note: not "many") times. I'm going to pick up GF9's version for a couple of reasons:

1. They said they're tweaking things. Believe it or not, Dune is not a perfect game. It's a good game and it's even better when you know the story. But there are many other games that would come off the shelf before it these days because they lack things like blank cards that do nothing, which simply aren't that exciting from a modern perspective. "Tweaking" in order to reflect the 40+ years of design and development (and, yes, improvements) is a positive thing, IMO.

2. My copy is worn. Yes, you can get the same game of canasta out of a deck of beat-up, old cards as you can with a crisp, new one right out of the box. But board gaming has a tactile element to its experiential nature, too. I wouldn't mind having newer cards and combat wheels and tokens(!) that don't carry the decades of age that mine do and are more visually appealing in that respect.

I'm part of a Meetup group that is mostly oriented around gaming, but also has an associated book club. The guy who started it had a stack of books that we've worked through (the two most recent were Redshirts and The Stars Are Legion) and while there are two left in the stack, he always throws the floor open for suggestions. Last week, I looked up and said: "How many of you have read 'Dune'?" Of the 8 people at the table, only me and one woman raised our hands. I said that it might be convenient timing, since the date of our discussion will be right around the release date of GF9's version. So, we're (re-)reading Dune and I'm thinking it should entice a couple people in the gaming group that have also never played the game. In that respect, it'll be nice to have a fresh, new copy on hand to introduce them to it, so I don't have to make excuses about the yellowing wheels or the scuffed cards or the crushed tokens, and so on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Msample, mezike, Gregarius

More
25 Jul 2019 14:44 - 25 Jul 2019 18:45 #300047 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Dune Predictions
I have an old copy in great condition so I'm holding off. I'll get the new rules though and play them on the set. I may need to adjust cards.

P.S. On occasion, an empty card is hilarious.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 18:45 by Sagrilarus.

More
25 Jul 2019 14:51 #300048 by HiveGod
Replied by HiveGod on topic Dune Predictions
Will there be a solo option?

More
25 Jul 2019 15:00 #300049 by Michael Barnes
I love the do-nothing cards. They are a bluff, and they usually wind up causing some laughs or quotes from the Lynch film. Who doesn’t love dropping Trip to Gaumont on somebody?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen

More
25 Jul 2019 15:13 - 25 Jul 2019 15:14 #300050 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Dune Predictions

ChristopherMD wrote: I predict copies of Rex will price drop by 90%.

That’s still too much.

Michael Barnes wrote: I love the do-nothing cards. They are a bluff, and they usually wind up causing some laughs or quotes from the Lynch film. Who doesn’t love dropping Trip to Gaumont on somebody?

There’s nothing better than, as Atreides, getting someone to bid way too much for a worthless card.

Also, here are the quick start rules:

gf9games.com/dune/wp-content/uploads/DUNE-Quick-start-Guide.pdf

Most everything seems to be the same, except you can get CHOAM Charity with 0 or 1 spice instead of just 0. Or maybe it was always that way?
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 15:14 by Disgustipater.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.906 seconds