October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dune Predictions

More
08 Aug 2019 15:41 #300579 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Dune Predictions
I'm not trying to hate (especially as someone who loves miniatures in games), but most of that stuff is much more streamlined by simply writing it down.

For instance, with the traitor cards you have no mnemonic device to recall which traitors you saw (and thus were safe), only the single traitor card you kept. Writing them on paper didn't have this problem.

With all of those extra cards from a prediction and alliance, the play area may be more cluttered as well.

Not a big deal but it's a shame people are so against writing on a piece of paper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike, drewcula, Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 16:26 #300581 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Dune Predictions
How many superfluous components in today’s games could be replaced with a golf pencil and a pad of paper...
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiveGod, Frohike, drewcula, charlest, Gregarius

More
08 Aug 2019 18:35 #300582 by ioticus
Replied by ioticus on topic Dune Predictions
I break out into a cold sweat if a pencil or pen comes near my games for fear of getting a mark on something.

More
08 Aug 2019 18:42 #300583 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Dune Predictions
What if the pad runs out?

What if the pencil breaks mid-session?

How many plays will they last?

What if the publisher goes out of business and can no longer supply replacement pads and pencils?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
08 Aug 2019 18:56 #300585 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Dune Predictions
I have read the rules and can't wait to get my hands on this. Having said that, it is hard as hell for me to round up 6 players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
08 Aug 2019 19:04 #300587 by ioticus
Replied by ioticus on topic Dune Predictions
Thanks for giving me a lot more to worry about, Mike!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
08 Aug 2019 20:39 #300591 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Dune Predictions

hotseatgames wrote: I have read the rules and can't wait to get my hands on this. Having said that, it is hard as hell for me to round up 6 players.

Yeah. This is my concern, too. One of my all-time favorite GMT games is Here I Stand (no, not Mystery Wizard. Yet.), but it really works best with six and it's tough to find that number. I've joined a couple more gaming groups in recent months, so maybe I'll be able to finagle something but I'm not counting on it. I have a copy of the original and it never gets played, either.

More
08 Aug 2019 21:38 #300593 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Dune Predictions

hotseatgames wrote: Is it a safe assumption that everyone agrees with the rule book's recommendation to play the basic game a few times before trying advanced?

I would say use everything except the Advanced Combat and Double Spice Blow.

charlest wrote: Not a big deal but it's a shame people are so against writing on a piece of paper.

I prefer the single BG prediction card that shows all the factions and turns and you circle your pick on that card. A whole deck seems cumbersome. There's also a sheet for Atreides to keep track of Treachery cards. I use a dry erase marker for both. Probably a pain for them to include a pencil or pad of paper. Of course they couldn't tell you to use your own, people would have a fit.

More
08 Aug 2019 23:10 #300594 by Scott_F
Replied by Scott_F on topic Dune Predictions
Running 6 player Dune tomorrow with the new rules. Only one person is new. All previous games have been with all advanced rules except for double spice and advanced combat. The majority of the group have Dune as favorite game ever, so expectations are high if we're doing a switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
08 Aug 2019 23:44 #300595 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Dune Predictions

Disgustipater wrote: I prefer the single BG prediction card that shows all the factions and turns and you circle your pick on that card. A whole deck seems cumbersome.

It isn't a whole deck of cards, just sixteen cards. Choose one of the six faction cards and one of the ten turn cards.

More
08 Aug 2019 23:45 #300596 by Shellhead
Dune is best with six players, but still well worth playing with just four or five players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
09 Aug 2019 08:54 #300603 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Dune Predictions
My experience with Dune is limited to two games, but I have no interest in the double spice blows or using spice for combat. That just seems unnecessary and cumbersome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
09 Aug 2019 10:18 #300607 by Shellhead
Double spice blows just inflate the economy and potentially reduce the conflict some turns. Using spice for combat is a wild misrepresentation of the source material, as spice is too wildly expensive to distribute to troops. And frankly spice for combat unbalances the game in favor of the wealthier factions, especially the Emperor and the Guild.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
09 Aug 2019 10:49 #300608 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Dune Predictions
I'll mirror others' sentiments: Dune will sell just fine. Strong at first, then a steady trickle. I'll even go so far to suggest it'll see multiple reprints.

Despite owning the OG and it's expansions, I'll probably pick this up. For the following reasons:
1) I'd like to support GF9.
2) With my support, I help justify the company's interest in future Dune titles. SPARTACUS re-skin!
3) It's a modest price for a great game.
4) I'll freak out less when one of my gaming buddies spills beer on it. No lie, the Freemen player spilled booze on his discs last game. I almost threw him out of the house.
5) Unrelated, but maybe... JUST MAYBE... This reprinted classic could motivate GF9 to pursue Magic Realm. I already own Magic Realm, but the reason cited above? I'd buy it again.

I have a few duplicates in my collection. Fury of Dracula, 1st and 3rd edition. Cosmic Encounter. Claustrophobia. I'm still looking for a beater copy of Wiz-War (pre-FFG). None of this seems strange to me.

And just an FYI / reminder; GF9 does NOT have the rights to the OG Dune's expansions or factions. All of those add-ons were designed by other folk. None of them really improved game play. However, if I want to play The Duel (great) or Spice Harvest (not great) - I'll still have my OG copy. I've never bother with the other factions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
09 Aug 2019 15:03 #300624 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Dune Predictions
I am delighted they included the Fremen spice free combat ability. This to me makes the Fremen a force to be reckoned with and an attractive Ally, by allowing alllies three free revivals. These are lovely touches. I had already integrated the spice free combat, but we weren't sure what ally ability to use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds