October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG putting the stake in Terrinoth, but still rolling with other stuff

More
05 Sep 2019 08:52 #301392 by Jackwraith

LotR LCG in it's current form to end mid 2020; new kind of content to follow after some period of a break, no "2.0" kind of release as it feels unnecessary

aGoT LCG will finish current cycle, Targaryen faction box and some kind of special release to be announced soon which will mark end of cycles. Content will continue in some new kind of format with much slower release. Feel like they can't do much more with the game, mostly because no new books

Arkham Horror LCG doing extremely well, no plans to change anything

No plans for new Netrunner LCG

Journeys in Middle Earth has a planned finite amount of planned content; will deviate from Mansions of Madness release style, specifically no small expansion boxes.

Eldritch Horror is a completed game (no new content will be released)

Elder Sign is a completed game (no new content will be released)

Descent is a completed game (no new physical content will be released)

Imperial Assault is a completed game (no new physical content will be released); "business reasons" is answer for why no new content (reading between the lines = cannibalizes Legion sales); more digital content to continue

Runewars will not be getting a new version or re-release

New Tannhauser content: often discussed but cannot provide any info

Runebound is also a completed game.

Heroes of Terrinoth's future support is unclear.

New TI4 material hinted at.

New Keyforge set later this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, Msample, ModelVillain, drewcula, cdennett, fightcitymayor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2019 09:00 #301393 by Sagrilarus
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
05 Sep 2019 09:03 #301394 by Michael Barnes
I couldn’t care less what FFG does at this point. They are the new Steve Jackson Games. Abandoning what made them great and sliding into a comfortable irrelevancy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Frohike, drewcula, Vysetron, n815e

More
05 Sep 2019 09:13 #301397 by Vysetron

Michael Barnes wrote: They are the new Steve Jackson Games.

Oh fuck you're right. I knew I'd seen this before, just didn't put my finger on why. Dammit dammit dammit.

More
05 Sep 2019 10:22 #301400 by A Lad Insane
Jeeeeeesus. Barnes doesn't like FFG anymore. They must suck. Come on, dude. They're a game company. Don't like their games? Don't buy them. Plenty of people do. Plenty of people also like Steve Jackson Games. I don't think that makes them irrelevant.

More
05 Sep 2019 10:40 #301402 by ubarose
LOL. Barnes has got his cranky pants on today.

But he is kind of right. Since FFG got bought by Asmodee they have been playing it safer and safer. On the other hand their games are polished and well developed and every so often they still hit one out of the park. For example, they recently came out with Outer Rim, which is just a great game if you are a pick-up and deliver fan. A real step up on the evolutionary track so to speak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax, Msample, lj1983, Josh Look, mezike, Frohike

More
05 Sep 2019 10:54 #301405 by Josh Look
I also think they’re irrelevant, but I’m willing to be a bit more reasonable about it and not spout that declaration for a reaction. If you’re just a board gamer, you already know how much things have changed for them. They put a really good one out every once in awhile, but I do think that by and large, it’s over.

RPGs, CCGs, and miniatures, each taken as a desperate arena, I don’t think they’re really cutting it there, either. The Genesys system is really fun, but a generic system with as much crunch as it has is a niche audience within a niche audience. There’s only so much mileage you can get out of it.

Runewars stuff is practically on clearance at my LGS, the Legion scene is non-existant and is frequently on sale. Armada is dead, the X-Wing fanbase is divided.

Arkham Horror LCG does seem to be their most consistent money maker, but who knows how long that will hold out. The Keyforge hype is over.

I know everyone waxes nostalgic over the golden era of FFG, but it’s not looking good no matter which way you cut it.

More
05 Sep 2019 11:08 - 05 Sep 2019 11:14 #301407 by Gary Sax
I don't think irrelevant is totally unfair. But I see irrelevant as very separate from the quality of their design.

Games can be very good (Eldritch horror, Armada, the LCGs) but also deserve to end. I think FFG has been doing good clean design work on both their licensed and unlicensed games---far better than during their "heyday" of new game releases if we're referring to the same period. eg By all accounts here, something like Runebound 3rd was good! Their reboot of xwing improved it. People love Rebellion. Armada is great. Heroes of Terrinoth is a reimplementation of a well regarded system. Legacy of Dragonholt.

Their main unequivocal failures has been their very expensive attempts to get into person level tabletop minis. I wouldn't defend that.

What can FFG do if people aren't buying their good releases? That's an honest and not rhetorical question. Ominously, product retraction to core profitable products would fit strategically with an era where they are owned by a much larger holding company.

I think this is sad because I think FFG has been doing excellent work if you line up their releases on BGG and look at them. I think y'all are grinching out a little.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2019 11:14 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, mezike

More
05 Sep 2019 11:13 #301408 by charlest
I don't think the KeyForge hype is over, I think it's migrated or perhaps settled. I'm kind of done with it due to others in the group moving away from it and losing interest, but the KeyForge nationals at Gen Con were enormous. Not simply the players, but the crowds watching and tons of people filming it. The new set has generated buzz and I see people talking about it.

Additionally, I think Discover was very risky and it bombed. I still appreciate it although think it was more a proof of concept that didn't fire on all cylinders as opposed to really knocking it out of the park.

FFG is definitely not what it used to be, but I personally wouldn't call them irrelevant. They still have the number one miniatures game and several big cash cows. I wonder if Kickstarter has affected them negatively and caused them to take less risks and push out less titles overall.

More
05 Sep 2019 11:14 #301409 by hotseatgames
I certainly don't buy as much FFG as I used to. But the ones I got were all great:

Runebound 3e
Fallout
Doom

More
05 Sep 2019 11:40 #301415 by DarthJoJo
So what was the golden age of Fantasy Flight? When their games required an expansion to patch the massive problems in the core product? When their biggest licenses were Battlestar Galactica, Blizzard and pre-HBO Game of Thrones? When their biggest releases were re-releases of Cosmic Encounter and Talisman?

They’re still doing good and even great work. The Arkham card game is top tier, and the only reason we haven’t yet seen Keyforge’s unique deck system change the industry is the massive front-end investment that’s a lot harder to slap on than a campaign or solo mode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
05 Sep 2019 11:57 #301417 by Jackwraith
"Golden age" is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people think the "golden age" of Hollywood was when studios held actors to restrictive contracts and only White people appeared on screen. To me, FFG's "golden age" was when they were investing in their own worlds (Runebound, etc.), running with their versions of licensed worlds (Arkham Horror), or opening new vistas in someone else's worlds (Games Workshop.) I look at my shelves and I still see a significant number of FFG titles there, but they're all from that period:
Chaos in the Old World
Fury of Dracula
Runebound, 2nd Ed.
Blood Bowl: Team Manager
Rune Age
Infiltration
TI3

The real question is: Do I play any of them anymore? The answer, by and large, is: No. I would, but I've played all of them many times and there are other things demanding attention these days, which kind of highlights the changes at the company since that time. I'm not really a Star Wars fan. I don't do collectible stuff anymore. And I wasn't really impressed with Keyforge (in addition to it being collectible and the large up-front cost that Charlie mentions.) So, my detachment from FFG isn't that they're irrelevant or failing or whatever slight one chooses to apply. They just don't do what I enjoy any longer. It happens.

All of that said, I've recently been interested in bringing smaller games to one of the regular local gatherings and Rune Age, Infiltration, and BB: TM all fit that profile, so maybe I'll bring those along next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Frohike, DarthJoJo

More
05 Sep 2019 12:52 #301423 by Sagrilarus
FFG used to have their own space in the industry, the larger-than-life segment of the market. It's not their fault every new designer with a Kickstarter ID decided to cut in on their turf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, DarthJoJo

More
05 Sep 2019 12:58 #301424 by ubarose
I think people are a bit starry eyed about FFG's "heyday." They have never released more than two or three games in a year that were developed in-house, and were not a re-do of one of their own older games or of someone else's. And typically one of those would "not be firing on all cylinders." Everything else were expansions, new editions of older games, and their various card games.

If you only count games developed in-house, and exclude card games, miniature games, and new editions of older games, the past few years don't look much different than the "heyday" years. They aren't developing fewer new board games. They are just producing more miniature and card games.

To refresh your memory here a a few example years :)

2005:
Descent: Journeys in the Dark
World of Warcraft: The Board Game
Arkham Horror (technically a new edition of an older game, but different enough to be counted as a new in-house development)

2006:
Nothing

2007:
Starcraft
Tide of Iron

2008:
Battlestar Galactica
Android
World Of Warcraft: The Adventure Game

2009:
Chaos in the Old World
Middle-Earth Quest

Compare to -

2017:
Fallout
Civ: A New Dawn
Legacy of Dragonholt

2018:
Discover Lands Unknown

2019:
Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth
Star Wars: Outer Rim
Arkham Horror: Final Hour (remains to be seen if this is a "new" game or a redo of AH)

So 2018 was kind of a lean year, but so was 2007. Whether you feel that the earlier years produced better, more remarkable or more "relevant" new games than the past few years is really a matter of taste.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jay718, jpat, Frohike, drewcula, DarthJoJo

More
05 Sep 2019 13:18 #301427 by Space Ghost
Outer Rim is as good as anything they have ever done.

I also see them holding steady to the course they have been for 15 years. The only reason they may feel irrelevant (or less relevant) is because there are so many more games being produced and they, are by and large, sticking to similar formulas for how they make their games
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds