October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Battlestar Galactica spinoff in the making

More
21 Sep 2019 22:22 - 21 Sep 2019 22:26 #301894 by Sagrilarus
Word out is that there's a new BSG television series in the works, which means FFG's game will likely lift in price higher than its current absurdity. This will be a completely new show, but I'd think FFG wishes they could still print to it.

The secret winner here is Ares Games, which holds a license that it uses for its space combat game (which is quite good by the way). Presumably the new series will have people shooting at each other in some way or another.

Alas, the show is due to run on "Peacock" which is NBC's paywall. I'll be waiting for the entire 1st season to be released and then will binge it on a 30 day free trial.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2019 22:26 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2019 08:48 - 22 Sep 2019 08:51 #301897 by Josh Look
Most reports are saying it’s a reboot, because it’s 2019, so if that’s the case, everyone loses here. It will be on NBC’s streaming service, so hopefully nobody sees it.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2019 08:51 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
22 Sep 2019 09:24 #301898 by Sagrilarus
The article I read said it's not a reboot, instead a different story in the setting. Could be interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, n815e

More
22 Sep 2019 13:05 #301902 by Msample

Sagrilarus wrote: The article I read said it's not a reboot, instead a different story in the setting. Could be interesting.

That is my understanding as well.

The wave of the future on TV seems to be all the interesting IP shows ( Star Wars, Star Trek ) will be on that networks premium streaming service . All those years of customers wanting a la carte TV pricing well now they've got it....and now of course they're not happy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
22 Sep 2019 13:30 #301903 by n815e

Msample wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: The article I read said it's not a reboot, instead a different story in the setting. Could be interesting.

That is my understanding as well.

The wave of the future on TV seems to be all the interesting IP shows ( Star Wars, Star Trek ) will be on that networks premium streaming service . All those years of customers wanting a la carte TV pricing well now they've got it....and now of course they're not happy.

Of course not. It is going to be much more expensive than cable ever was.

I honestly can’t see myself paying yet another monthly subscription to see a single show. I wonder how it will work out for these networks that think they can tap the gold mine. I am thinking they will eventually return to licensing to Netflix or Amazon, or Disney will just buy them up.

If someone asks if I’ll watch X series that I can’t view on bluray, Netflix, Amazon or HBO, the answer is no. I’m not interested in any more subscriptions, except perhaps Disney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, RobertB

More
22 Sep 2019 14:16 #301905 by Josh Look
I’m still not paying anywhere near as much as I would for multiple services than I would be for cable, my problem is that the show is happening and that it’s by the Mr. Robot creator (Mr. Robot did *nothing* for me).

So it’s a new story in the same universe, why not shift things around a bit and just let it be a completely new thing? Why do we need to do it with this idiotic idea that it needs to be done with the promise of a built in audience? Most BSG fans likely don’t want this, I sure as hell don’t, but I’ll tell you what I would like is SOME NEW SHIT. We’re never gonna get it if there’s enough people who watch this crap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Frohike

More
22 Sep 2019 20:34 #301913 by Sagrilarus

Josh Look wrote: Why do we need to do it with this idiotic idea that it needs to be done with the promise of a built in audience?

Because money talks?

I largely agree, but Hollywood is not a very artistic place, at least not as a first priority.

I pay for Hulu, and the Disney service appears to offer a plan that includes Hulu. If that's the case I may go for it.

I have two major cities in antenna reach, so these services for broadcasted channels don't mean much to me.

More
23 Sep 2019 09:16 #301921 by charlest
I love Mr. Robot so I'm stoked for this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
23 Sep 2019 10:21 #301925 by Shellhead
After the fiasco of seasons three and four, I have zero interest in any more Battlestar Galactica. The only way I might reconsider my stance is if I heard multiple positive reviews from people that share my taste in entertainment.

More
23 Sep 2019 13:48 #301935 by southernman
I thought BSG seasons 3 & 4 were great and also think Mr Robot is a great story so I'll be giving it a chance, dependent on what medium it arrives on across the pond. I, too, do not subscribe to every new content provider just because they have a great sounding new release and if need be will just get the season box later on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
24 Sep 2019 22:22 #301983 by Sagrilarus
I was at $152 per month for 75Mbps and cable TV with no sports channels. I'm now at $40 for 100Mbps. So I have plenty leftover even if I buy all of these subscriber services.. But, why the heck would I? I certainly don't need all of them simultaneously.

I think people asking for a-la carte cable options were looking for The History Channel, or Discovery Channel or SyFy. Instead the networks are moving content behind paywalls that would have been free to watch ad-revenue options previously. Make no mistake -- nobody is offering what people asked for, except HBO which was an a-la carte channel all along.

These services are going to find that people will subscribe for three months at a time.

More
25 Sep 2019 09:32 #301989 by Gary Sax
I think you're way overestimating the ability of people to cancel revolving charges on their credit cards. Which is what these services are counting on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
25 Sep 2019 11:43 #301997 by Sagrilarus
I use PayPal whenever possible and don't leave a credit card in it. Each automatic monthly payment bounces to me via email for manual payment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
25 Sep 2019 14:32 #302003 by Gary Sax
My statement in no way related to your own proclivities, I'm just saying generally on aggregate the secret of subscription services is people forgetting to cancel and not assessing and reassessing their usage on a running basis. I myself am doing this right now with google play music.

Companies have become extremely smart in understanding the microeconomic evidence on bounded rationality among humans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
25 Sep 2019 20:14 #302013 by Jackwraith
Yeah, we kinda cut the cord recently, giving up Comcast, 90% of which we didn't watch. I had kept it running for one thing: live sports, specifically Liverpool. But I discovered that I could get cheaper Internet service (Comcast overcharges you if you only pick one of their services) from AT&T and then use YoutubeTV for sports. The latter is $50 a month and (Google being Google) has glommed onto the above-referenced reason that a significant number of people still have cable: sports. They have about 50 or 60 channels (typical mainstream cable fare, like SyFy and AMC), but have almost every sports channel out there (ESPN's whole suite, Fox's, NBC's) so I can see LFC whenever they're playing and there's no equipment involved (the "DVR" is just you telling Youtube what to record whenever it's on.) Plus, a cool feature of it is, in typical Google fashion, it pays attention to what you watch, so when you start the app, it will offer things that it thinks you might like. A couple months ago, Juventus was playing a pre-season that I didn't even know about, but it pitched it to me because it knows I watch a lot of football.

The total of AT&T and YoutubeTV is less than half what I was paying Comcast. We do still have Netflix, too, which is another $8 a month, and the Internet service is a bit slower, but I'm not gaming regularly anymore, so it doesn't really matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds